Cost of developin film

Status
Not open for further replies.

forcefilm

Dec 22, 2004
Hi all,
I read in "Understanding Exposure" that using colour slide film is cheaper than using colour negative.
I'm wondering if that's true locally.
It costs me 16 (for developing 4R, 36 w/ index pint) + 3 plus (per roll of colour neg)

I know a roll of colour slide is around 9+. Can anybody tell me how much it costs to get it developed?

And also how much does it cost to print a picture from a slide.

Thanks!

Nobody uses slide film? or even film anymore? sigh...

I remember getting slide film at $5 or $6 max. Velvia definitely costs more. Developing (E6 process) is about $4-$5. If you send more rolls for developing cost/roll is lesser. I've stopped using slides so I may be way behind in terms of accuracy. However, I still do B&W but I process my own films.

forcefilm said:
Hi all,
I read in "Understanding Exposure" that using colour slide film is cheaper than using colour negative.
I'm wondering if that's true locally.
It costs me 16 (for developing 4R, 36 w/ index pint) + 3 plus (per roll of colour neg)

I know a roll of colour slide is around 9+. Can anybody tell me how much it costs to get it developed?

And also how much does it cost to print a picture from a slide.

Thanks!

Ruby printed (in 2003) slide 4R at $1 a piece optically. Konota did it for 50 cents digitally.

Sensia 100 is around $6.50, developing cost is around $4.10. So the cost of shooting slides is much cheaper at $10.60 per roll. Of course, professional slides like Velvia 50 cost around $9.80 or more... ;p (take note prices may vary).

Have fun shooting!

Thanks for the info!

Alchemist said:
Sensia 100 is around $6.50, developing cost is around $4.10. So the cost of shooting slides is much cheaper at $10.60 per roll. Of course, professional slides like Velvia 50 cost around $9.80 or more... ;p (take note prices may vary).

Have fun shooting!

Just to chk where can I develop slides at $4.10?

Thanks.

I found out that you can develop slides for $6 w/o mounting and 7.80 w/mounting at Joo Ann Foh at Holland Village.

forcefilm said:
I found out that you can develop slides for $6 w/o mounting and 7.80 w/mounting at Joo Ann Foh at Holland Village.
Ruby charges $4.10 for slides developing without mounting.

Thanks espn, Ruby sends the slides to konota for development right? How about the charges in konota then? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Alchemist said:

Have fun shooting!

Where to get Sensia 100 at $6.50?
saw it is about $8.50 at konota.......

chenchengcai: Dude, get from Cathay Photo, just nearby. Velvia costs much cheaper there too.

Sumball: I hear Ruby sends them to Spectra Colour Lab for slides processing.

Alvin

Yup, Ruby is the place to develop slides at $4.10, and Cathay to buy slides...though they ran out of Sensia last week... wonder when the stock is coming...sigh.

1. Higher end Slide $10 + $5 = $15
2. Higher end Neg $8 + $10.80 = $18.80
3. Lower end Slide $6 + $5 = $11
4. Lower end Neg $3 + $10.80 = $13.80

Alchemist said:
Yup, Ruby is the place to develop slides at $4.10, and Cathay to buy slides...though they ran out of Sensia last week... wonder when the stock is coming...sigh.

I understand that Spectra is going to increase prices for slide development soon. Last time I got a couple of rolls done at Ruby, the people there said middle of the Jan there would be a upward adjustment of about 25%. Which bring it within the ballpark charged by FotoHub (formerly RGB Color).

chgoh

Ruby told me the same thing too, though they added that their pricing will still be below the ex-rgb colour. How much below, is up to speculation! If I remember right the batch of slides I got from 'em yesterday was still the same price?

Alvin

I sent one roll of negative for development only to a neighbour stall (Kodak) and I was charged $4. I questioned her that, isn't it $3 for processing fee? Then she said for development only they will charge $4.

Given this, I am wondering if I still want to shoot film? while it is only $4.10 for slides development. Cost of file aside since the quality is totally diff. Infact, getting a roll of slides is consider as cheaper than the negative film if compare the quality side by side.

p/s: I dun want to develop and print the whole roll of film cos it was shot by supersampler, therefore i dun wan to print all of them before i know the outcome.

Neg. processing is $3.50 most of the time. Popular lab like Grace or KT charge $3.50 too. Slide should be $4.50 to $5. "Understanding Exposure" stated slide are cheaper because he assume that most slide user dont make print and view them on lightbox. So, with printing plus development, neg will be more costly if that is the case. However, lab can nowaday scan them into cdr for $2.50 a roll of 36 images. You can review them with a computer and later decide when to make print or put online for viewing etc.

So, it is about $2.50 scan, $3.50 develop, $2.50 a roll of negative = $8.50.
About a cost of a junk food meal or cost of a IT magazine etc for many hours of pleasure and eternal memories. :B

I'm a cheapo. Use outdated camera, outdated lens and outdated technology hehe. I enjoy them very much :)

sumball said:
Thanks espn, Ruby sends the slides to konota for development right? How about the charges in konota then? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Kim Tian I think....not Konata

whoelse said:
Neg. processing is $3.50 most of the time. Popular lab like Grace or KT charge $3.50 too. Slide should be $4.50 to $5. "Understanding Exposure" stated slide are cheaper because he assume that most slide user dont make print and view them on lightbox. So, with printing plus development, neg will be more costly if that is the case. However, lab can nowaday scan them into cdr for $2.50 a roll of 36 images. You can review them with a computer and later decide when to make print or put online for viewing etc.

So, it is about $2.50 scan, $3.50 develop, $2.50 a roll of negative = $8.50.
About a cost of a junk food meal or cost of a IT magazine etc for many hours of pleasure and eternal memories. :B

I'm a cheapo. Use outdated camera, outdated lens and outdated technology hehe. I enjoy them very much :)

Who cares about cheapo? Cheapo gears can produce nice photos too. as long as there are ppl out there to appreaciate the effort.

u mean those photoshop charge $2.50 only to scan the photos into a CDR? That cheap? I thought it is at least $6 per roll? Which shop? whats the reso?

Status
Not open for further replies.