Cost for replacing shutter??

fanticalfury

Apr 7, 2010
Singapore
I'm using a D80, shutter count at 20k now. I'm kinda paranoid that the shutter might fail soon. =D haha. Has anyone changed their shutter mechanism at nikon centre before? How much will is cost? Any help is appreciated, thanks! =)

Dont be paranoid about it. Cross the bridge when you get there. As long as it is functioning well, no need to replace what? Just enjoy shooting!

i want to know so that in the future, when it does happen, i can make an informed decision on whether to upgrade or bring it for maintenance. =)

haha, true true. now, why didn't i think of that? =D

i just checked, it's $172. The guy said that on the report, the "lifespan" is around 150k. somebody sent in his for repairs at 200k and it was still working, just sluggish. =)

i just checked, it's $172. The guy said that on the report, the "lifespan" is around 150k. somebody sent in his for repairs at 200k and it was still working, just sluggish. =)

D90 and D7000 average lifespan are 100k and 150k respectively. if d80 can reach 150-200k, the older the better?

well, that's what the guy at the service centre told me. I will only know when my sc reaches 150k, or even 200k, if it ever does. =D

changed my D300 shutter for about >$200 recently.

Shutter count then was 70k

anyway, those are just numbers.
your shutter can fail anytime, at 1 shutter count, 100, 1000, or maybe even after 200k then it fail.
so just enjoy the camera, shoot till it fails, then start worrying about replacing it.

or if the shutter count is already very high, and you have an important shoot (eg. once in a lifetime visit to another country), you might want to consider relacing the shutter just in case.
But do note, besides the shutter, there are still alot of components in the body that can fail anytime.

no worry, unless u using it for paid job... my older d50 has got 2x the shutter count

anyway, those are just numbers.
your shutter can fail anytime, at 1 shutter count, 100, 1000, or maybe even after 200k then it fail.
so just enjoy the camera, shoot till it fails, then start worrying about replacing it.

or if the shutter count is already very high, and you have an important shoot (eg. once in a lifetime visit to another country), you might want to consider relacing the shutter just in case.
But do note, besides the shutter, there are still alot of components in the body that can fail anytime.

Can you share share more about the other components u mentioned? I'm not too sure about such stuff. thanks in advance. =)

no worry, unless u using it for paid job... my older d50 has got 2x the shutter count

That's good news for me i guess. will keep my fingers crossed when i go to japan next month. hope it doesn't fail on me! =D

Can you share share more about the other components u mentioned? I'm not too sure about such stuff. thanks in advance. =)

That's good news for me i guess. will keep my fingers crossed when i go to japan next month. hope it doesn't fail on me! =D
practically any component can fail... sensor, lcd, circuit board, flash, shutter button... u name it all

i changed my D70 at 10k+
i am just very unlucky

practically any component can fail... sensor, lcd, circuit board, flash, shutter button... u name it all

now i'm starting to get more paranoid. O.O

i changed my D70 at 10k+
i am just very unlucky

Oh my, guess figures aren't reliable after all. sorry to hear that. =l

the shutter unit cost lesser than the labour charges :D

$41 for shutter, $120 for labour. :) since this business is "bright" it will incur gst. :sweat:

the shutter unit cost lesser than the labour charges :D

$41 for shutter, $120 for labour. :) since this business is "bright" it will incur gst. :sweat:

Haha, are u serious about the price of the shutter?? coz i lol-ed at ur comment. =D

Haha, are u serious about the price of the shutter?? coz i lol-ed at ur comment. =D

Yea the break down prices for d90 shutter unit, since you got a quote that was the same as d90.

Yea the break down prices for d90 shutter unit, since you got a quote that was the same as d90.

that's quite a huge portion for labour then. buy shutters in bulk. =D haha

Murphy laws say that either your shutter or other components will breakdown in Japan. It is better to find out how much it costs, where to get it replaced and how soon it will be fixed in Japan. :bsmilie: