Cosina Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesame_street98

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
How good is Cosina Lens? That question has been keeping me away from buying this brand of lens. Apparently I heard a lot of ppl using Sigma, Tamron, etc. etc. but not really this brand.

Actually the reason of me asking this is because I am thinking of purchasing a 2nd hand Cosina 28-210 which is only for 60 dollars! Waaaayyy below other brand of lenses. But I got reservations on this brand.

Anybody out there who can help me with this?:dunno:
TIA!

I've seen this lense before. From the looks & build, it looks identical to the Vivitar AF 28 - 210 (also saw the same build on a vitacon 28 -210) . Let's say they are the same by virtue of same OEM, than for the price and range, it is a good lense to have on a day where you do not wish to carry so many lenses.

I use the vivitar AF 28 - 210 (definitely not $60), like the colours but very upset about the minimum focus range of 8.4 ft. Another problem with it is that the design is a push-pull type. so if you like your SLR hanging down your neck, the lense will drop to full length and will scare passers by away by ;)

Anyway, I'm not sure if the two lenses are in fact identical. maybe you can check with the seniors.

To see sample pictures using the lense:
sample 1

sample 2

regards

Originally posted by Obzervr
I use the vivitar AF 28 - 210 (definitely not $60), like the colours but very upset about the minimum focus range of 8.4 ft. Another problem with it is that the design is a push-pull type. so if you like your SLR hanging down your neck, the lense will drop to full length and will scare passers by away by ;)

Agree :D
I hope the design is not push and pull type :p
However is it something wrong with my eyes or the pics u posted, something is not right with the colour and tone. Did you PS the pics? :dunno:

Nopes, no PS, I think got to do with the film scanning. The prints revealed more subdued tones.

I think for the price, push pull also oklah, use the single SLR pouch, and solve the problem, hang it by your side and when there's something nice to shoot, draw it out, much like a cowboy.

regards

got cosina 100-300. never ever heard of that brand except when i decided to check what brand mine are..

not much problem but the focusing is really really really really very slow, compared to a canon usm. the cosina hunts and hunts and hunts until.. i give up and change to MF. :D

and it's push pull without a lock. :(
terrible design.
apart from that, i think cannot complain cuz the pictures ok, and price more ok.

and is sample 2 the one who bites cameras? :D

hey ... give my baby a break ... anyway ... I got her a cam of her own ... no protruding knobs so no more biting ... Shes learning fast ... one day I'll get her to subscribe to this forum ...

:)

Somehow I don't like Cosina lenses. Apart from bad design, the slow focusing speed really puts me off. I suggest saving up the money for a better 3rd party lens like Tokina, Sigma or Tamron.

Hi guys thnx for all your reply...

After hearing from you guys and some reviews from the net I decided to let the lens go :cry: altho' its only 60 bucks....
Maybe I will get a Sigma one instead :D ... one day.... :p

Hiee....

In photography...YOU PAY WHAT YOU GET......

Well...as for Cosina......my experience with 100-300mm...wasn't that bad.

As a First long Lens to start for really simple novice photographer....its a great lens to use.....

Provided.....you stick VERY CLose to the basic photgraphy Principles....

As its a "slow" lens in its class....(price tells you)...I'm not surprise if people complain about the Slow AF......

Its not due to the Lens hunting...etc.....its actually the sensitivity of the AF sensors on the body....in this case.....my experience with the minolta 404si....(entry level AF).... i'm not surprise if it has problems with the f6.7 aperture at 300mm........

However....with the DYnax 7 which is stated in the Specs....that it can actually focus up to f6.7 aperture.... - No Problem Focussing...

AF speed depends also on the gear ratio in the lens. Try looking at the coupling spindle that links the body to the lens for AF......the number of rotations that coupling spindle takes to go from nearest focus to infinity focus will tell you if the Focus is fast or slow....

Being designed and build as a slow lens....there is a LIMIT on how fast the AF can go too....too fast motor and low light it will end up having to much oscillation for the AF motor to go back and forth....hence wearing the system....-----don't wanna get tooo chimmalogy!!!

For the 100-300mm Cosina lens......if you use Tripod....at 300mm....and shoot....you will be surprise that sharpness.....is acceptable for normal use. However.....due to the NON APO glass.....it may give some color shift....not that bad that your eyes can tell for prints up to 5R.....or even 8R....

So......if you think you need the Cosina 28-105mm as a spare why not......

Regards,
me

Status
Not open for further replies.