Cosfest Finals at Downtown East 14/15 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear CS, As a fellow CS member ( Photographer ) im doing my first time cosplaying during cosfest 2007. Im been flamed heavliy at www.sgcafe.com .. despite the kind / nice reply that i've given, it backfired. Therefore, i hope to recive CS fire power ( Support ) if i were to ever cosplay again. They even target my personal life comment like "Seeing that you are already working, I assumed you are at least above 21. Please stop acting like a emo teenager." Wah .. all i did was a wrong coloured hair for that cosplay character.

I've no one to turn to then my fellow CS community and i really dont know how to reply to these people for a positive respond. Kindly assist me CS! Thank you ..

Firstly, your reply was ignorant. Polite, yes, but ignorant and arrogant. Cosplay is about representing a character. If you'd said that you messed up and forgot a wig or whatever, it would have been fine because that happens a lot of times. But you said you were doing your own version of Itachi and I could see nothing Itachi-ish about your cosplay except for the robes, the slashed forehead protector and the Sharingan lenses. Props to you for getting those items, but you could have tried a little harder, you know. And please stop making the SGCafers out to be unreasonable little gits.

And kudos, ZeroDivine, because I think that's the main difference between 'good cosplay shots' and 'good photos'.

Dear all,

Somethings that i would like to share:

1. Takaro red hair is not a wig.
2. First timer in cosplay.
3. Intially, my idea was to turn up in cosplay event wearing sharingan lens as a normal photographer just to spice the mood of cosplay myself.
4. Somehow or another i became a cosplayer itself on that day.
5. With sudden change in plan, ive 2 days to prepare .. starting from thursday.
5. Im working 6 days a week, took the effort to get a sudden day off to buy my stuff with NO HELP or EXPERIENCE at all.
6. I've even checked with some people here to ask where to get the wig. they told me chinatown level 2 wig shop. To mine disappointment the wig was not the type of itachi. Whats left is black curly hair as time is running out .. i got to put the wig on the last list. I've check the internet .. its too long to deliver from other country ..
7. All my internal clothing is made by me. The red clouds are designed and printed by me on my cloths.
8. As you can see .. im also sad that i cant get my last step of wig done at the last min. and im kinda aready disappointed myself.

9. On that day itself, as a first time cosplayer .. "Costume" wear has never came across my mind as a term .. when asked upon ~ " What are you cosplaying as " .. To mine instinct .. As close as i can get is Itachi. So i've said Itachi. Please bear in mind that i've no intention to spoil or to create chaos for itachi fans. With what i got and the best that i could make out for that day .. i've just casually reasoned the "Why" factor with "Its my style" .. Im sorry for the comments.

10. Ever wander why i do not post replies here or explain myself clearly ? The reason is - I dont reply much to rude people. Please state your comment in a nice way to accept a feedback. Im not that stuck up as what you stated. Many people has Private message me in MSN asking why .. I just told them mine situation nicely .. and they understood. The reason WHY this forum its flaming .. is partially because i've not aplogise for the wrong hair colour and im sincerely aplogise for any issue regarding it. Why aplogise now ? You wandered .. well actually i dont like urguing much or stuff like that .. and with volience comments like .. " perhaps you are one of many recent additions of the MANY wagon jumpers of cosplay with the benefit of above average looks(but not the benefit of humility). but seriously, since you are like this, make a choice here, you want to be jumbo the elephant or thorny the rhino? we have to decide if we feed you peanuts or grass. " .. Seriouly who would like to reply ? ( You are supporting these people with outrageous comments, you might be next in the line ) Put yourselve im my shoe for a sec .. please ~ Im not the one creating drama here but its a chain cycle thats created by ... I didnt urgue much right ? Take a look at all the past posts ! ( http://sgcafe.com/showthread.php?p=2124308&posted=1#post2124308 ).. I just need support from nice people that i've explained to, to give the right meaning to you people. I dont wanna jump in and blast off stabbing people who said the wrong / unpolite things .. Im a peaceful guy. So for some people your trying to make me look bad to everyone right ? Take alook around this ( http://sgcafe.com/showthread.php?p=2124308&posted=1#post2124308 ) forum .. where are the good people in life .. Even as we speak, shouldnt cosplaying people be naturally fun ?? Are you so serious as in a wrong natural coloured hair new comer guy need to be condammed for life because he gets more attention ? .. Are you saying all itachi cosplayer must have sharingan eyes ? If by natural black singaporean eyes .. your bound to be stabbed a hundred times in forum for not having the contact lens ? like i said im not wearing a wig .. if im wearing one then i should deserve your 10000 stabbing ..

Sometime in life .. we need to just smile and get over things .. i cant say that my explaination in here would resolve all issue. Neverless, I aplogise again for any Unappropriate phrase. To me .. whatever i do in life should be what i am comfortable with and what we truly are .. . i wish all the best to all New / senior cosplayers out there and thank you for your kind feed backs.

Thank you Clubsnappers ..

Takaro .. *Fading* .. *Vanishes*

takaro, you sound like one of those people who can never admit that they are in the wrong do you know that?

i'm beginning to understand why the reaction in sgcafe is so violent toward you.

and i think losse got it right.
you are quite the ignorant and arrogant person.
i even find myself feeling a little angry reading your replies.
it's like your replies got no remorse, not apologetic at all.

i think you should change your attitude.
thats better then explaining yourself to death.
more action less talk.
even if you not cosplaying anymore, better attitude also will bring you far in the industry.
if any of my employees are like you so arrogant(if they dare reply to me in the manner you did to those sgcafers), i sure fire them the first chance i get.

I'm just curious, how many people registered here over the last 2 days just to take part in this thread, only to disappear once the issue blows over soon enough?

I'm just curious, how many people registered here over the last 2 days just to take part in this thread, only to disappear once the issue blows over soon enough?

if u talking about me, i have been lurking around both forums since a long time ago(this is a new nick cus i lost my password to my old one.), i think i'm most active here since i never post in sgcafe, too many people flaming here and there and talk rubbish.

i'll still be around after this issue blows over. lurking in the background if work permits.

Hur. I didn't register here just for the drama. I'm just a hardcore lurker here. *lurklurklurk*

guys, posting of photos in SGCafe must be careful. Not all nice and beautiful shots can be posted there cos they might not like it. So u guys take care while posting there......

One thing for sure, they don't really see through photographer's point ov view......

Michael

Dude... it's like this.
If you don't watch anime/manga, don't post there.
What you assume to be "nice and beautiful" can be absolutely hedious to everyone else there.
It's exactly like clubsnap. What some people think are "nice and beautiful" is pure crap to the more seasoned/experienced photographers.

Get on with life. If you just want to shoot someone in outlandish costumes, treating it like a portraiture session, go hire a model.
If you want to shoot cosplay characters like portraiture according to what you think is cool/good, keep the photos for your own appreciation. Use as "portfolio" and all the cosplayers will avoid you like the plague (because you will screw up their photos 100%).

It's just like there was this pretty cosplayer with a big gun. In the anime/book/manga the girl was a gentle girl. End up photographers from clubsnap (duh) tried getting her pose cool, point the gun around at pple/lenses etc. you "THINK" it's cool, but hey you've just put a dent in her credibility as a cosplayer. Imagine what would others say when they see her pose like that, "destroying" the image of the character? She wouldn't even want to see the "beautiful and nice" photo you took of her. Probably She's gonna avoid you next time she recognizes you.

So... if you want to post there, make sure you get your contents right.

as a photographer photographing anime/cosplay character we need to be aware of some background details of the anime and the character we are photographing too.

If not we will just treat it like another of those model/portrait snap, which is not what they want. I've some experience photographing with my friend last time too, and thought we thought the pics are nice technically as a 'model shot',but they lack the essence that bring out the anime character. People just look at it and thought it's another model shot by people wearing costumes... and not good cosplay pictures.

As an outsider who do not know anything, we think the perfectly taken photo with dslrs by those who don't know the details are better, but to most cosplayers they want something which has the anime feel, that brings out the character in each photograph - and not just model portrait.

Full agreed with what you have just said here :)

guys, posting of photos in SGCafe must be careful. Not all nice and beautiful shots can be posted there cos they might not like it. So u guys take care while posting there......

One thing for sure, they don't really see through photographer's point ov view......

Michael

And one thing for sure, you cant see from cosplayer's point of view as well :)

It's just like there was this pretty cosplayer with a big gun. In the anime/book/manga the girl was a gentle girl. End up photographers from clubsnap (duh) tried getting her pose cool, point the gun around at pple/lenses etc. you "THINK" it's cool, but hey you've just put a dent in her credibility as a cosplayer. Imagine what would others say when they see her pose like that, "destroying" the image of the character? She wouldn't even want to see the "beautiful and nice" photo you took of her. Probably She's gonna avoid you next time she recognizes you.

(delurks)L.O.L! *goes paste link of post to said cosplayer* Sorry*coughs* I couldn't resist that.

Sorry can I add something? =\ Not sure if it's...related to the overall topic though? ._.; It's not just about asking cosplayers to do "cool" poses that are totally out of character(I'm sure she must have mentioned this to you before as well haha) but the photographer's quest to find the right angle or unique angles, please please PLEASE also take into consideration what kind of costume the cosplayers are wearing. For example, have the sense to NOT go sooo looooow if the cosplayer is like...wearing a short skirt? D: Alot of upskirt shots are unintentional and one only realizes it when they upload the photos into their PC and open it in photoshop but I feel that these can be avoided? =\ (/delurks)

as a photographer photographing anime/cosplay character we need to be aware of some background details of the anime and the character we are photographing too.

If not we will just treat it like another of those model/portrait snap, which is not what they want. I've some experience photographing with my friend last time too, and thought we thought the pics are nice technically as a 'model shot',but they lack the essence that bring out the anime character. People just look at it and thought it's another model shot by people wearing costumes... and not good cosplay pictures.

As an outsider who do not know anything, we think the perfectly taken photo with dslrs by those who don't know the details are better, but to most cosplayers they want something which has the anime feel, that brings out the character in each photograph - and not just model portrait.

Quite true. That's why it's the best we keep the pics taken, display in here then displaying it there. Or else sure kena bombared by them like wat happen to takaro's pic.

Michael

Dude... it's like this.
If you don't watch anime/manga, don't post there.
What you assume to be "nice and beautiful" can be absolutely hedious to everyone else there.
It's exactly like clubsnap. What some people think are "nice and beautiful" is pure crap to the more seasoned/experienced photographers.

Get on with life. If you just want to shoot someone in outlandish costumes, treating it like a portraiture session, go hire a model.
If you want to shoot cosplay characters like portraiture according to what you think is cool/good, keep the photos for your own appreciation. Use as "portfolio" and all the cosplayers will avoid you like the plague (because you will screw up their photos 100%).

So... if you want to post there, make sure you get your contents right.

Thanks for sharing. I fully understand ya point as I realise that over @ the other forum.

I made my word of precaution as I notice the whole issue starts with the wrong hairdo and it escalates with some pics posted there that has irrelevent contents such as lightstick, etc.

That's why I posted the warning to those who have further intention to post their nice pics there.

Furthermore, I didn't post any pics up at all. So, I don't really bother about them.

Michael

And one thing for sure, you cant see from cosplayer's point of view as well :)

Yup, I truly agree with u on that cos I just encounter Cosplay over the weekend this year @ cosfest cos in the past, I thought it's full of c***. (I apologie for the language used.)

But I just start to appreciate it unless I got bad impression again.

Michael

ambious,

i don't think takaro's pictures is even a factor of the sgcafer's outrage.
more of his attitude i think(almost every 3rd post mentions that they think his attitude is bad).

not fair of you to anyhow say that they will slam you for posting pictures of them(nice or otherwise) then quoting this takaro episode saying that bad photos is the main factor because there is no link in the first place.

i'm not siding the sgcafers but this is the way it is,
they complain abt the hair(or lack of), his incorrect inner shirt(i think can pass but they think otherwise), his snobbish attitude and the only thing they say about the photos posted there is that he(takaro) ask people to post his pictures up so he is very vain and the shots he took is not related to the character he intended to cosplay. from a cosplayer's pov, i think it's a valid argument on their part.

if you are going to get upset...
at least get upset over the right things instead of imagining insults where there are none.

watch some anime like me then maybe u can relate to those young people more

ambious,

i don't think takaro's pictures is even a factor of the sgcafer's outrage.
more of his attitude i think(almost every 3rd post mentions that they think his attitude is bad).

not fair of you to anyhow say that they will slam you for posting pictures of them(nice or otherwise) then quoting this takaro episode saying that bad photos is the main factor because there is no link in the first place.

i'm not siding the sgcafers but this is the way it is,
they complain abt the hair(or lack of), his incorrect inner shirt(i think can pass but they think otherwise), his snobbish attitude and the only thing they say about the photos posted there is that he(takaro) ask people to post his pictures up so he is very vain and the shots he took is not related to the character he intended to cosplay. from a cosplayer's pov, i think it's a valid argument on their part.

if you are going to get upset...
at least get upset over the right things instead of imagining insults where there are none.

watch some anime like me then maybe u can relate to those young people more

I do agree with ya statement. Adding on to that, they also mention about pics that look nice with effects item but don't suit to post there.... such as....

"sorry if this appear as a flame, i really tot it was a cos**** sasori!!! thx god u said u were "COSPLAYING" itachi. *dont mind me, i have no love for itachi. sasori <3* good effort in getting the contact lens, it is rather cool and all but seriously, just to be fair to itachi fans.
here are somethings u need to ask urself.

1) does itachi even carry/use rice container? yes we know itachi gets hungry but so far he only eat dangos. rice container is used only by the sound nins to cook sasuke.
2) lightsticks? do u even see light sticks in naruto?
3) unless if i am very much mistaken, itachi hair is black, and his hair is long.
4) do itachi even act like that?
5) there is alot of mistakes with ur costume.

so are u really sure u consider that a Itach cosplay? we cant really agree on if u are cosplaying or issit an modify *punk?* itachi but what we all can agree on is that u did itachi. so does itachi really "act" like that? even if there is some creativity going on, we cant really tell that u were cosplaying itachi by looking at u.

yes yes i know i should not be insulting him, it is his first time after all rite? but seriously if everyone starts doing this, we can soon change the name of the event to OC-fest ,why even bother calling it cosfest?

namespace> do note that your source is from wiki, as such does it really prove that you are right? does it? i can go in and edit anything i see on wiki anytime if i think it is wrong."

An also.....

"How you are cosplaying itachi, this i can never ****ing comprehend and do not acknowledge. If you are an original character, please just say it and not claim that you are cosplaying your own version of a character. Because even if you are, DEAR GAWD. WHERE THE HELL ARE THE TRADEMARK ITACHI FACIAL FEATURES THAT MOST PEOPLE CALL WRINKLES, BUT I LIKE TO CALL IT... LINES.
you did not JUST SCREWED UP ON THE HAIR, what on earth are you wearing (THAT IS NOT AKATSUKI WEAR.) and yes like suzaku69 mentioned, why are you standing on top of a bucket/rice cooker thing. Does it make you look cool? do you think it does? because for your information, it doesn't and does not relate to ANY akatsuki members whatsoever.

for dear clubsnap supporters of this poor misguided soul, unless uchiha itachi glows like some sort of UFO in the anime, i would totally understand how placing lightsticks on the ground makes it cool (.... not.but thats not the point is it)"

And also....

"i'm sorry but to me, it's not just the hair (@_@)
1. the clothes (akatsuki does not wear an inner shirt and pants with akatsuki clouds on them, it's fishnet top and normal pants).
2. the MAKEUP (eyebrows trim please, and / \ lines, where are thou.)
3. props (uh no ricecooker and lightsticks)"

So I suppose that we post pics without the things mention above, they will be quite happy lor.

Michael

Ambious, i think you need to see unseen's post in this thread,
he explained why those people are so critical.
it's not because of the standard of photography that the cosplayers are concerned about but more of the bring out the character of their cosplay out

things like the rice container, the light sticks and the lack of the wrinkles near the eyes doesn't go along with the character of itachi and that i feel is what they are saying.

there is nothing being said about condemning the photos or the techniques used in the photo, their argument is all about takaro's cosplay and his attitude.

i don't understand why you can be so upset over this when there is nothing to be upset about, especially when there is nothing being said about the photos.

Ambious, i think you need to see unseen's post in this thread,
he explained why those people are so critical.
it's not because of the standard of photography that the cosplayers are concerned about but more of the bring out the character of their cosplay out

things like the rice container, the light sticks and the lack of the wrinkles near the eyes doesn't go along with the character of itachi and that i feel is what they are saying.

there is nothing being said about condemning the photos or the techniques used in the photo, their argument is all about takaro's cosplay and his attitude.

i don't understand why you can be so upset over this when there is nothing to be upset about, especially when there is nothing being said about the photos.

It's not wat I'm upset about. My point is, if we don't post the pics that contain things they mention, then there won't be any arguments. Do hope u understand.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.