Corrupted archived jpg files

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetShooter

Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
I was browsing through some of my photos from the last couple of years, and realized with horror that some of my files have been corrupted (no, they're not nude photos that kind of corrupted, just that the jpg data seems to have been corrupted).

I store redundant copies of my data on different hard disks, but once the files are corrupted, these get propagated to the other copies (methinks - I've yet to check).

It happens sporadically, about one out of every few hundred photos, but what if it happens to that ONE precious shot?

Here's an example:

corrupted.jpg

Is there any way to repair this sort of jpg corruption?

My guess is that it probably happened on an earlier hard disk which was dying, and the corrupted data got backed up.

No easy cure.

Have you reviewed this image on your computer before? Sometimes the data can get corrupted during CF transfer to HDD and its not visible on thumbnails, only by opening the full image will you see the result.

StreetShooter said:
I was browsing through some of my photos from the last couple of years, and realized with horror that some of my files have been corrupted (no, they're not nude photos that kind of corrupted, just that the jpg data seems to have been corrupted).

I store redundant copies of my data on different hard disks, but once the files are corrupted, these get propagated to the other copies (methinks - I've yet to check).

It happens sporadically, about one out of every few hundred photos, but what if it happens to that ONE precious shot?

Here's an example:

corrupted.jpg

Is there any way to repair this sort of jpg corruption?

My guess is that it probably happened on an earlier hard disk which was dying, and the corrupted data got backed up.

This happen to me before. This is a problem with using jpg lossless compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.