Correcting "colored lights tinge" on people

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuachan28

May 21, 2008
Hi guys i just came back from photographing a gig and i'm currently trying to process some of my photos in Aperture. The photos that i want to process are those that have a colored tinge due to the lighting. i was thinking that if a colored filter on my lens that matched the same color of the light, i would get pictures in normal or almost normal white/yellow light. Am i correct on that? Is there a way to duplicate having a filter in aperture? I know that you can change an image into monochrome with a colored filter but i just want to filter the color out without turning my photos into monochrome. I hope to be able to keep some of the color in the photos coz it adds abit of atmosphere, but i have some photos which really are too red or green. I really hope that someone can help me in this! Thanks!

some photos here just to show the range of colors that i have in my photos:
430255129_E5h2V-S.jpg

430255170_a6JVF-S.jpg

430255091_cuZg9-S.jpg

430254982_u4hFU-S.jpg

430254819_2szNc-S.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Aperture. I'd play around with Curves in PS to correct the colour cast.

To be frank: I wouldn't change much. It's the atmosphere during the concert, including all those lights. Try to get a decent WB setting before the concert starts, don't use AWB.
Have tried Aperture some year ago, can't remember all details. But it works similar to Lightroom - there you have slider to adjust Hue / Saturation / Luminescence.

try change temperature?

Thanks Raied, i tried that and it was the fastest and easiest to do. I just selected a Neutral grey and my colors were back to normal or as close as possible!

To be frank: I wouldn't change much. It's the atmosphere during the concert, including all those lights. Try to get a decent WB setting before the concert starts, don't use AWB.
Have tried Aperture some year ago, can't remember all details. But it works similar to Lightroom - there you have slider to adjust Hue / Saturation / Luminescence.

I wasn't planning to change very much to it, but ALL of my photos were all multi colored. When i looked at my photos in like thumbnail mood from a distance, it seemed like i was looking at batches of red, greens, blues, yellows. The lighting was just really bad at the gig. cant blame them it was just a small gig and the lights were set on auto.

One of my corrected photos:
430254955_gGRJR-S.jpg

431480994_x9cbB-S.jpg

i was thinking that if a colored filter on my lens that matched the same color of the light, i would get pictures in normal or almost normal white/yellow light. Am i correct on that?
no... a coloured filter would cut light of any colour other than that of the colour of the filter (filters are subtractive)... if the filter and the light were the same colour, then there is not much light of other colours (reflected light or incident light) to be filtered out anyway so there would be little if any effect on the image... and what other colour light (reflected light or incident light) present would be filtered away by the coloured filter...

If the color tone is really that bad, try converting them all to B/W.. will look good if there's directional lighting or backlighting..

Status
Not open for further replies.