Correct White Balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunas

Dec 19, 2006
Singapore
Hi Guys,

Do you bring along a gray / white card to correct white balance when shooting?

i use my phone! its white. haha

I kind of lazy; just shoot in raw.

Hi Guys,

Do you bring along a gray / white card to correct white balance when shooting?

gretagmacbeth grayscale card.
it has 3 panels.white, neutral grey and black.
very useful.try it.

in anycase, shoot raw.then adjust to taste later if you not lazy.

if lazy, then autoWB.:D

Sometimes I will prepare a matte white photo paper and use it as a white card. This is mostly done to experiment the difference in effect between custom wb and awb. But most of the time, I will just use awb and take the picture in RAW.

Some have sugessted the Pringles potato chip lid/cap. ;)

Not forgetting the Expodisc to obtain correct white balance

A fellow hardcore film user just convinced me yesterday how powerful ( his Fuji S3 Pro ) RAW format is

:)

Sorry ah..a newbie here. You need not care much abt the white balance if you shooting RAW?

from what i have read, when shooting in JPG, the camera does some form of processing for you. When shooting in RAW, no processing is done. Thus, any changes can be easily made. Can someone please correct me if i'm wrong? Thanks

Is a gray card better than a white card?

The gray card can determine not only the exposure used and the correct white balance as well?

The white card can only determine the white balance?

Btw if i dont use a gray card or a white card, i find something that is "middle gray" to determine the exposure and white balance, how do i do it? Eg. Switch to Av mode and meter at the middle gray and get the value given by the exposure metering. Use the value in manual mode?

From what I read, you can usually use approximation to a mid tone. For example, the grass and leaves can be approximately mid tone. The skin is approximately mid tone, but may need to do some slight compensation to correct for the skin tone.

Sorry ah..a newbie here. You need not care much abt the white balance if you shooting RAW?
The best is if you can get the WB correct in the 1st instance. Then there would be less post processing work downstream. I would still take care to get the WB right when taking the picture. But in difficult lighting situations, I can still alter the WB temperature during my PP workflow.

from what i have read, when shooting in JPG, the camera does some form of processing for you. When shooting in RAW, no processing is done. Thus, any changes can be easily made. Can someone please correct me if i'm wrong? Thanks

Yes, you are correct to say that. But not all changes could be made with RAW & only to a certain amount without introducing additional artifacts.

So can i say that i can use a white card to replace a gray card?

never needed one coz all shots r done in RAW :lovegrin:
???? and why would you not need one? you still need to know what white/grey is... a WB shot would help in that... shooting RAW just makes it easier to adjust WB but does not remove the need/helpfullness of WB shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.