Correct way to unplug USB thumb drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myfz1

Apr 27, 2004
Do you just plug out your USB thumb drive from your pc like a firing pin or go thru the tedious Safely Remove Arming mechanism process?
I always use the first method , couldn't be bothered. Is it necessary?

i think it's safe to do that(straight plug out) with Windows XP, Windows 2000 maybe can also(but it might complain), but Window 98 not recommended to do that.

better to be safe than sorry ba..

i usually do the long way.. the safely remove hardware thingy.. its only 2 clicks anyway..

u may end up getting data corruption because files may still copying in the background

when you want to shut down your PC, do u just plug out the main power cord or click on start menu, go to shutdown and click ok?

just pull. doesn't matter. just do it.

Please eject the drive from windows first before pulling it out (applies to CF/SD and other flash memory) we have seen enough cases in our RMA dept for Data corruption and Data lost when you pull it out without going through the recommended proceeder.

Convergent Systems said:
Please eject the drive from windows first before pulling it out (applies to CF/SD and other flash memory) we have seen enough cases in our RMA dept for Data corruption and Data lost when you pull it out without going through the recommended proceeder.
roger. :sweat:

Convergent Systems said:

i kenna before so i have learnt from a hard way...

luckily my card never die...just reformat it that's all

I think if data is being written to thumb, better eject properly as some data maybe still in cache or memory and yet to be written over completely, or the file is still locked or not close and if pull out, the file may be corrupted.

Wai said:
i kenna before so i have learnt from a hard way...

luckily my card never die...just reformat it that's all

I kenna before too.

Card was okay, but data was not transferred completely. Doing it the proper way flushes the buffer so that we don't lose any data.

Don't play play. :bsmilie:

There is a reason why Windows have the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon. Do not just pull out any USB device as you risk of data corruption or worse still your devcice is useless. Better be safe than sorry. Take it from me. I've learn the hard way.

Learned it the hard way, do a 'stop' before removing. It's a must do operation.

kena before once,data all copied at work.
when going back time,just plug straight out.
Go back home plug in,nothing inside.such is the pain...argh....

better safe than sorry, learnt it thru the hard way too - my sandisk is sitting in the drawer now...:sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.