Correct settings on low light...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmzarcega

Jan 12, 2007
Woodlands
hi guys...i need your expertise on how to have a great sharp images in a low light condition e.g. inside my house at night using only not so bright circular flourescent lamp...? i find big difference in quality of image comparing to shooting outdoor in sunlight...BUT how come i see some uploaded pics here which was taken from their house too which are really sharp...

advise pls..

hi guys...i need your expertise on how to have a great sharp images in a low light condition e.g. inside my house at night using only not so bright circular flourescent lamp...? i find big difference in quality of image comparing to shooting outdoor in sunlight...BUT how come i see some uploaded pics here which was taken from their house too which are really sharp...

advise pls..

flash? tripod? high ISO? fast lens? too many reason...

For the best low light image, mount your camera on a sturdy tripod, use the lowest iso, and take your pic either using a remote release or the timer.

low light situations will mean slower shutter speed and the possibility of camera shake
so a good tripod is necessary to counter that

basic principle.

1. recreate high intensity light
- framing at a composition that gives overall bright exposure (limiting flexibility of composition)
- increase light temporarily by flash (may be harsh if direct)

2. maximise rate of light collection
- using larger aperture (limited by maximum aperture of lens, insufficient DOF for subject)

3. maximise efficiency of light collection
- using higher ISO (limited by maximum ISO of body, associated with noise)

4. compensate low light by increasing shutter duration to slowly accumulate light on sensor
- and cope with stability at prolonged shutter speed. e.g. using tripod, avoid contact vibration, avoid mirror vibration

point 1 to 3 are used without increasing shutter duration, whereas point 4 may require support equipments such as a tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.