"correct" orientation in carrying lens in lens-bag / camera bag

Shizuma

Mar 19, 2012
Hello sempais and fellow Clubsnappers,

I am curious if there is any generally accepted consensus on how lens should be carried in camera bags.

Should they face up (front element up)? Or face down?

Please share how you carry your lens in your lens bag. Usually I keep them face up because the rear cap seems "thicker" although i am not sure if this is scientifically accurate.

I usually carry them front element down because the bottom cap tends to come off more easily than the front cap. Plus, the rear components of the lens (e.g. aperture lever and all) seem to be more vulnerable to being pushed/squished compared to the front components. It's a practical reason. I don't think there is really a universally agreed way.

image you drop you bag, which part you don't want to hit first? face down or face up? ;)

of course nobody like to do the drop test lah.

image you drop you bag, which part you don't want to hit first? face down or face up? ;)

Most camera bags will protect your lenses sufficiently for minor drops... Of course dropping from 20th storey of HDB flat is another story..

front element face down, it is much easier to take the lens out from the bag when you need it.

anyway, no right way or wrong way, just like most locals park their cars with car front facing outward, whereas the rest of people like to park their car backside facing outward.

Thats why camera bags come with padding some with thick padding. If the lens can fall onto the ground from your tripod or hand and (in most cases) still works fine. It should be fine if its in the bag. :bsmilie:

Oh to TS. I keep my front element facing down. (easier to take it out..since the rear is smaller than front and..sometimes easier when changing lens.)

If you use lens caps, doesn't matters.

If you are like some pros where they go bare for speed, then - rear elements down in case of sudden rain when your outside bag on the open, or clumsy waiter trips and falls on your bag with his tray full of leftover food and drinks, etc.

Front elements can take a bit of weather but rear side are often more crucial (nearer to film plane/sensor) and electronics contacts are there too.

Hello sempais and fellow Clubsnappers,

I am curious if there is any generally accepted consensus on how lens should be carried in camera bags.

Should they face up (front element up)? Or face down?

Please share how you carry your lens in your lens bag. Usually I keep them face up because the rear cap seems "thicker" although i am not sure if this is scientifically accurate.

sometimes up sometimes down. When I load for travelling, I usually have the rear lens cap on the bottom. When loading for shooting, I load with the rear lens cap on top.

What ever you do, just make sure there is enough padding at the bottom, and don't plonk your bag of equipment too hard.

I find the on most lenses, the rear lens mount to be a lot more tough than front element end.

Last edited:
I usually carry them front element down because the bottom cap tends to come off more easily than the front cap. Plus, the rear components of the lens (e.g. aperture lever and all) seem to be more vulnerable to being pushed/squished compared to the front components. It's a practical reason. I don't think there is really a universally agreed way.

I am just curious which line uses aperture levers. I have only seen some so far and they were Prakticar / M42 lenses :p

Why not on the side? Haha, perfect legit imo, at least in the case for small lenses where the length is about the same as diameter. Its really just personally preference. At long as the glass (front or rear) is shielded from environmental factors and shock can already?

Why not on the side? Haha, perfect legit imo, at least in the case for small lenses where the length is about the same as diameter. Its really just personally preference. At long as the glass (front or rear) is shielded from environmental factors and shock can already?

That makes sense, also. hmm

I usually do front element downwards. Easier to quickly swap lenses that way

I am just curious which line uses aperture levers. I have only seen some so far and they were Prakticar / M42 lenses :p
Nikon's non-G lenses (those with aperture ring) still use the aperture lever, iirc. Nikon users may correct me if I'm wrong here.

Hrm, I haven't checked but definitely almost all my lenses have aperture levers. Are we talking about the same thing?

rattle.jpg

Nikon lenses have levers. Canon have?

Nikon lenses have levers. Canon have?
No, with the introduction of EF / EF-S mount the Canon lens mount only has electrical contacts but no mechanical elements or levers anymore. That's why it is (nearly) pointless to adapt these Canon lenses to any other camera system.

Any orientation as long as it fits. Else, it stays outside strapped to my hand.
I stuff my sling bag (sans padding) with a prime, PnS, flash + triggers. They don't scratch that easily. ;)

I have no preference...

facedown. so it's easier to pull out. also for the other lenses in my sling bag, all front element facing the ground. it's a habit.