"correct" orientation in carrying lens in lens-bag / camera bag

My lens point down for easy access.

You happy can liao.

Front element down... I find this method easier to swap the lens.

Sometimes it depends on how you use the lens, the type of lens, the bag that you carry.

-Lens facing down is very convenient but take note that some lenses are heavy and does not have a very strong front barrel.
-Lens lying down is great but it takes too much space and not easily accessible
-The lens mount and tripod collar are usually the sturdy part of the lens. I usually keep the lenses resting on it's mount but of course, I don't really carry lenses to change and shoot :bsmilie:
-If you're carrying those light kit lenses or those sturdy MF lenses, it really doesn't matter how you keep them in your bag

Wow, I have never thought of that whether putting front or back element down, but somehow conveniently mine usually front element down, probably due to easy accessible.

throw style , easy access, preference and natural instinct out the window: THE LAW... THE SOP.... THE HOLY BOOK .... SAYS SO.... is ALWAYS FRONT ELEMENT FACE DOWN or lying down on its side if your bag is configured that way (esp for backpack styles)

front down for me only because I prefer to keep the lens hood attached to the lens in reverse when not in use .... just too risky pulling a lens out of the bag by its hood if its placed facing up .... had dropped a 70-200 and a 100mm macro before like this .... and my hand was stupidly left holding onto a lens hood while the lens separated and dropped to the ground

expensive tuition fee for these lessons (I have a thick 'duhhh' skull to drop lenses twice) which i give to you FoC :)

Last edited:
ed9119 said:
throw style , easy access, preference and natural instinct out the window: THE LAW... THE SOP.... THE HOLY BOOK .... SAYS SO.... is ALWAYS FRONT ELEMENT FACE DOWN or lying down on its side if your bag is configured that way (esp for backpack styles)

Wah. I better re-read the law books and make sure my lenses are packed correctly if I encounter a police checkpoint. ;-)

Or maybe just offer them a free photoshoot with keiko-chan

"the 11th commandment of the Prophet of Photography : thou shalt keep thy lenses facing down in thy lens case . "?

front down for me only because I prefer to keep the lens hood attached to the lens in reverse when not in use .... just too risky pulling a lens out of the bag by its hood if its placed facing up .... had dropped a 70-200 and a 100mm macro before like this .... and my hand was stupidly left holding onto a lens hood while the lens separated and dropped to the ground

expensive tuition fee for these lessons (I have a thick 'duhhh' skull to drop lenses twice) which i give to you FoC :)

gemba gembutsu and genjitsu :)

I prefer for the front element to face down, then it would enable me to screw the back cap quickly to change lenses if need be. :D One thing is that, if you have those long or heavy lenses, that would slide forward involuntarily since the glass within shifts forward due to gravity, it is better for the front element to be facing up, so it would be safer imo.

Last edited:
One thing is that, if you have those long or heavy lenses, that would slide forward involuntarily since the glass within shifts forward due to gravity, it is better for the front element to be facing up, so it would be safer imo.
Such lenses have a lock switch to prevent the 'lens creeping'.

My bad, forgot about that, was just thinking of how large lenses would slide forward when in use but I forgot that most have a lock. Thanks.

Last edited:

most should, but not all. the iconic (or ironic?) EF 70-210 F3.5-4.5 USM (almost an L) notoriously suffers from lens creep having no barrel lock :p

i don't have this lens but it is alarming trying to picture or imagine the zoom being extended rapidly and forcibly to maximum, bearing the weight of the big heavy lens!

" *shhhhhh...tock*! "

Yeah, that's why I rather it facing upwards with these kind of lenses mentioned above. Because since the glass is so heavy, imagine hand holding the camera and all of a sudden, it slides forward uncontrollably..

most should, but not all. the iconic (or ironic?) EF 70-210 F3.5-4.5 USM (almost an L) notoriously suffers from lens creep having no barrel lock :p
i don't have this lens but it is alarming trying to picture or imagine the zoom being extended rapidly and forcibly to maximum, bearing the weight of the big heavy lens!
" *shhhhhh...tock*! "
Yeah, that's why I rather it facing upwards with these kind of lenses mentioned above. Because since the glass is so heavy, imagine hand holding the camera and all of a sudden, it slides forward uncontrollably..

Guys, it's called 'zoom creeping' for a reason. :) Otherwise it would be 'zoom free fall' ...

my camera sling bag is such that it is designed to keep the camera facing down - so that's how ive got used to it, and if i get any other bag, thats how i'd use it. very quick to get it out whenever u want to grab a picture

Front always down..enables quick changing..it's like a guns magazine..u don't leave the magazine opening facing down otherwise how u gonna reload..