Correct Aperture value ???


Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Senior Member
Jun 4, 2005
2,681
0
0
43
TPY
#1
Hi!

Came across this formula:

Correct Aperture value = aperture on index times(x) focal length divded by sum focal length and extension.

Is this useful?
Does anyone still use this?
Or is there a better alternative?
Is it necessary nowadays?

Pls enlighten thks!:sweat:
 

ExplorerZ

Senior Member
Jan 9, 2006
7,752
0
36
West Legion
hkchew03.deviantart.com
#2
melvin said:
Hi!

Came across this formula:

Correct Aperture value = aperture on index times(x) focal length divded by sum focal length and extension.

Is this useful?
Does anyone still use this?
Or is there a better alternative?
Is it necessary nowadays?

Pls enlighten thks!:sweat:
what correct aperture? :dunno:
 

surge

New Member
Mar 17, 2002
1,313
0
0
46
north
Visit site
#3
ExplorerZ said:
what correct aperture? :dunno:
.

in olden days of manual camera and flash, it is neccessary to get the correct aperture when using extension tube so that you can set the flash output.even auto flash like vivitar 283/285 needs user to dial in aperture

today, almost all camera uses TTL flash metering. so the final aperture w ext is not that neccessary. plus w digital, you just see result then compensate your flash output accordingly
 

sk.images

New Member
Dec 9, 2005
1,244
0
0
www.pbase.com
#4
I'm no expert, but that sounds like the formula for exposure correction for bellows extension when shooting large format.
 

ExplorerZ

Senior Member
Jan 9, 2006
7,752
0
36
West Legion
hkchew03.deviantart.com
#5
surge said:
.

in olden days of manual camera and flash, it is neccessary to get the correct aperture when using extension tube so that you can set the flash output.even auto flash like vivitar 283/285 needs user to dial in aperture

today, almost all camera uses TTL flash metering. so the final aperture w ext is not that neccessary. plus w digital, you just see result then compensate your flash output accordingly
ic, haha i tot the extension he mention is the increase of lens length when you zoom in/out lol :bsmilie: (non internal-zooming)
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#6
cyber_m0nkey said:
I'm no expert, but that sounds like the formula for exposure correction for bellows extension when shooting large format.
It is and 'surge' has already supplied an answer.

You will need to use this formula if you use an external light meter and especially when doing Macro because the extension is much more that the reduction is significant.
 

sk.images

New Member
Dec 9, 2005
1,244
0
0
www.pbase.com
#7
lsisaxon said:
It is and 'surge' has already supplied an answer.

You will need to use this formula if you use an external light meter and especially when doing Macro because the extension is much more that the reduction is significant.
I was typing while surge was posting. Surges response also related to flash, whereas my response relates to non-flash exposures for LF photoraphy.
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#8
cyber_m0nkey said:
I was typing while surge was posting. Surges response also related to flash, whereas my response relates to non-flash exposures for LF photoraphy.
Yes. 'It is' refers to your comment and the rest is just general comments for the TS. :) If I hadn't read on, I might have repeated what 'surge' and you have written. ;)
 

surge

New Member
Mar 17, 2002
1,313
0
0
46
north
Visit site
#9
ExplorerZ said:
ic, haha i tot the extension he mention is the increase of lens length when you zoom in/out lol :bsmilie: (non internal-zooming)
zoom lens move the elements when you zoom in or out. this changes the distance between elements to film plane thus changing the aperture ( variable aperture). even macro lens like the 60/2.8 nikkor does the same, be increase the len to film distance, its like a built in ectension tube in the lens.
 

melvin

Senior Member
Jun 4, 2005
2,681
0
0
43
TPY
#10
surge said:
.

in olden days of manual camera and flash, it is neccessary to get the correct aperture when using extension tube so that you can set the flash output.even auto flash like vivitar 283/285 needs user to dial in aperture

today, almost all camera uses TTL flash metering. so the final aperture w ext is not that neccessary. plus w digital, you just see result then compensate your flash output accordingly
Thanks! For the info!
So if thats the case meaning i can safely ignore the formula if we are using digital?:think:
 

sk.images

New Member
Dec 9, 2005
1,244
0
0
www.pbase.com
#11
melvin said:
Thanks! For the info!
So if thats the case meaning i can safely ignore the formula if we are using digital?:think:
You can ignore the formula whenever using TTL metering, film or digital.
 

melvin

Senior Member
Jun 4, 2005
2,681
0
0
43
TPY
#12
cyber_m0nkey said:
You can ignore the formula whenever using TTL metering, film or digital.
Thanks! I am bad wif formula:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom