Who's copyright?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
3 guys went for a photo shoot. Guy A brought out the camera, but realized that he had no more film, so he borrowed 1 roll from guy B. Then guy A set up the camera, but realized he was too short, so asked guy C to hold the camera and press the shutter.

Later that beautiful photo was sold to ad-agency. So guess now who owns the copyright?

Guy A - because he owns the camera?
Guy B - because he owns the film?
Guy C - because he pressed the shutter?

Dont get so serious, I am just testing the "Post a poll" function on ClubSNAP, :)

if i'd to hazard a guess, i'll pick Guy B - because he owns the film. he's the only one with tangible evidence that he owns the shot. the others can claim whatever they want, but they can't prove ownership.

my boliao 2 cents... :D

I'd say it would be the one who brought the film to the lab for developing & who would keep the developed roll ;p

I'll pick Guy A -

1. he owns the camera;
2. he "borrowed" the film;
3. he set up the camera.

The photo is basically his idea, so I would say he owns the copyright.....

So Guy A is my vote.....:)

Originally posted by Larry
if i'd to hazard a guess, i'll pick Guy B - because he owns the film. he's the only one with tangible evidence that he owns the shot. the others can claim whatever they want, but they can't prove ownership.

my boliao 2 cents... :D

Possession is 9/10 of the law. :)

I agree with SMM.

Basically, the photo was A's ORIGINAL idea, he did the set-up and composition, so the picture is of his own making. He has copyright.

IMHO, whoever supplied the equipment is irrelevant.

Think of it this way, you had a great idea for a picture; you rented, say a Nikon camera for arguments sake; bought some Fuji film and used a Slik Tripod.

Does the picture belong to Nikon, for making the camera which took the pic? Or Fuji for making the film in which the scene is captured on? Or Slik for making the tripod which set up your camera to take the pic?

;)

Originally posted by Astin
3 guys went for a photo shoot. Guy A brought out the camera, but realized that he had no more film, so he borrowed 1 roll from guy B. Then guy A set up the camera, but realized he was too short, so asked guy C to hold the camera and press the shutter.

Later that beautiful photo was sold to ad-agency. So guess now who owns the copyright?

Guy A - because he owns the camera?
Guy B - because he owns the film?
Guy C - because he pressed the shutter?

Dont get so serious, I am just testing the "Post a poll" function on ClubSNAP, :)

In any law, Guy A can't get anything.
Canadian Law, Guy B will own the rights.
Statue Law in Singapore will favour Guy C.

Does the picture belong to Nikon, for making the camera which took the pic? Or Fuji for making the film in which the scene is captured on? Or Slik for making the tripod which set up your camera to take the pic?

The photo will go to the photographer because equipment was rented ... if borrowed ... in Canadian Law will belong to the owner of the film ...

basically, it boils down to ownership of medium, the person who took the picture ... these are the 2 key factors ... after which it is common law.

Originally posted by patch17
IMHO, whoever supplied the equipment is irrelevant.

Think of it this way, you had a great idea for a picture; you rented, say a Nikon camera for arguments sake; bought some Fuji film and used a Slik Tripod.
hehheh this is fun... :D

the point is that you paid for the equipment and thus you own it. therefore whatever shots you take using your equipment is your copyright. by the same extension of logic, going by Astin's thread, Guy A "borrowed" the roll of film from Guy B. if A didn't pay B for the film, technically B still owns the film (unless he gave it away, in which case it's another kettle of fish...).

so going by patch17's logic, Guy B should be the copyright owner since A only supplied the equipment that the photo was taken with...

so yes i agree with the_tick - possession is 9/10ths of the law. but if any1 of them got the $$$ and refuse to share, then that Guy is a damn [censored] and thus shouldn't be friends anymore. :wink:

am i confusing any1 yet? :bsmilie:

At the end of the Day, Guy A is the one holding the Camera with the film loaded and the shot was taken. None of them knows what is the result of the pictures they have taken.

If you continue the story GuyA most probably be the one who submitted the film to the lab for processing.

So base on this he owes GuyB a roll of film and he owes GuyC a favor for pressing the shutter.. :) but the negatives and print belong to him.

Therefore I vote for GuyA

Wait a minute, I did not say these 3 guys are friends, they just happened to go photo shoot together, probably the 1 that organized by Astin....:D

this is all getting a bit confusing...

so let this be a lesson to all kiddies, bring your own camera, bring your own equipment and most importantly, bring tons of film to a photo shoot.

:confused:

My answer is base on the story above.. I expect the film to be on GuyA camera after the pics was taken. So its either GuyA pay the film or replace it once he has the oppurtunity.

But the film will not be on GuyB hands, you can not take out the film on GuyA camera after one shot.. or couple of shots. So GuyA has the camera with the film loaded. The next logical scenario is processing, oviously GuyA will have the final result.

Base on this that why I choose Guy A

But the film will not be on GuyB hands, you can not take out the film on GuyA camera after one shot.. or couple of shots. So GuyA has the camera with the film loaded. The next logical scenario is processing, oviously GuyA will have the final result.

If all 3 quys fight it out in a legal suit ... in Singapore ... Guy C will win regardless who paid what ... other factors need to be taken into consideration too ... whether they are all employed as photographers.

Hmmm, Singapore law is interesting right? Its the one who presses the shutter that owns the copyright.

PS. On the other hand, if these 3 guys were Peeping Tom, and took some bad-taste photos, that who would end up in the Police Station?

Originally posted by Astin
Hmmm, Singapore law is interesting right? Its the one who presses the shutter that owns the copyright.

PS. On the other hand, if these 3 guys were Peeping Tom, and took some bad-taste photos, that who would end up in the Police Station?
n u happen to be GUY C while yr models r changing :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.