Copyright issue with music (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

icestrike

May 31, 2005
West
captured-memories.deviantart.com
I Know that this topic has be discussed over and over again
Of videographers or photographers using copyright music in videos/montage, as part of their biz without buying license etc.

however, my question is slightly different.
I have a friend who is getting married next month
and he is making his own photo montage to showcase to his guests during the wedding dinner,
Is it against the law, if he uses copyright music in his own video?

Thank you. :)

Of videographers or photographers using copyright music in videos/montage, as part of their biz without buying license etc.

and he is making his own photo montage to showcase to his guests during the wedding dinner,

Not an expert, but it might be considered fair use if the song is to be used for non-commercial purposes only. But then, I was also once told that fair use policy does not apply within the judicial system of Singapore. :dunno:

It is illegal. But then again, it's an one off thing, and he's not posting his montage online, so no one will catch him la....I think.

Does this mean that all the video montage which we see at wedding dinners done by studios buy the licence for use of the music?

i dont think so :think: hmmm some do , some dont

Another intresting question, are our clients will to pay extra if we ensure the music used has been obtained with the necessary copyrights? ;)

actually i find this topic interesting... but if one were to seek permission...it's almost impossible right? Heard emailing the record company, u never get a response. :dunno:

There's no point to email compass because they will always say "You need to Pay". You need to know where Compass is coming from; they are the collection agency for rights holders and hence; they will always say "NEED TO PAY".

I've once asked Compass for a list of songs on which they are claiming right to collect money from, and they are not able to do so. They will just say "we are collection agency for XXXX million songs and hence; pay us is correct".

Even if one is intending to pay, please pay the right person. Ask Compass for proof they have the right to collect royalties on the songs you are intending to play. The worst thing is to pay Compass for the right to play a song and end up finding out (by way of letter of demand from ANOTHER collection agency) that they are not the authorised collection agency.

guys guys.. come on...slight deviating from topic oredi.. hahahaha

anyone actually managed to get copyrights for songs to do video montages? Wanna share their experiences ? :sweatsm:

Most restaurant have bought the rights from compass and therefore allowed to broadcast any songs eg montage, express montage or selection of songs for the wedding.

However, the montage is not allowed to showcase in internet or for d/l. So you are safe to show your montage with any music since the restaurant have cover the rights for you already.

Most restaurant have bought the rights from compass and therefore allowed to broadcast any songs eg montage, express montage or selection of songs for the wedding.

However, the montage is not allowed to showcase in internet or for d/l. So you are safe to show your montage with any music since the restaurant have cover the rights for you already.

the same for hotels?

i was told by hotel coordinator, to be safe, bring along the original cd for the songs involved. :bsmilie:

hmm very interesting. i have a question.

what if you play the CD on a CD player and play the video on the laptop? meaning 2 separate machines and you'll probably need two ppl to help control. is that breaching of copyrights too?

Bring original CD is ownership rights. Broadcasting music in public is another rights. Most restaurants have bought the rights to broadcast music to public. Authorities will still can fine you if you are not able to show the original CD which is use to play in the ballroom.

As I said Most restaurants bought the right, so you have to find out whether the restaurant has got the license from compass.

what if you play the CD on a CD player and play the video on the laptop? meaning 2 separate machines and you'll probably need two ppl to help control. is that breaching of copyrights too?

wah u ish mad skillz

If the location does not have license to play music in public, yes it is illegal. Shall not say illegal but shall say rights not covered.

I would like to add that buying rights from compass does not allow you to broadcast ANY songs; it only allows you to broadcast songs that COMPASS has been specifically authorised to license.

However, what those are, no one really knows, not even COMPASS themselves can give you a list if you ask for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.