COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anka

Jun 29, 2004
I have a question. I have a series of unique images. in which a bridal studio lifted the images off my laptop without my knowledge.
the studio used the 2 images for their wedding album and 1 for their NAMECARDS!!!

the images are not even bridal stuff.

I have talked to the bridal shop in which they said i have no proof that it's mine (which they later admit that it is really my images)

they told me that they will consult their lawyers to see if my threat is justifiable.

This set of images have been publish before in magazines. but have not sent to US for copyrights patent.

now they tell me that they have no intentions of taking off my images from their album and the namecards.

anything i should know of before i talk to my lawyer in monday morning?

i wont say the name of the bridal studio or anything.

any idea what's it gonna cost them?

call up IPOS, see what they can do. singapore is part of the berne convention, which protects the original author of artistic works.

ANKA: That is terrible. A couple of things to think about:
Is there anything in these images that can be linked to you? Objects, furniture, people etc?
Can you get hold of copies of their album, namecards etc?

I think the 1st point is very important. If the answer is yes, then you might have a pretty good case. For 2nd question, this help to provide proof as well as to estimate damages. Because the images were published, it may also serve as a date stamp in your favour.

With regards to protecting & proving copyright, one little trick I learned from my lawyers which is very affordable is as follows(of course this is too late to help in this case):
Cut your images to a non-rewritable DVD. Then pay $20 for a Public Commissioner of Oaths to sign and witness. This gives your material a date stamp recognised in court. Then the infringing party will have to prove they got it earlier if they claim it is their.

wish the best for anka.

you can visit IPOS at Bras Basah. I think copyright is a right that's already there when you make an artwork.

Copyrights for artistic work is automatic and do not need patenting from IPOS. However it is recommended for US and Canada as a form of pre-empting the patenting offices there in case of disputes to similar images.

You need to get ready your original images and the material in which your pictures have infringed on. Try to recall how your image was removed w/o your consent when talking to your lawyer, probability of hacking may be present.

Finally, try to keep less talk on a public forum. ;)

yes,anything that may help would better be in PM.;)

would love to talk less but i am seeking advice. the images have image comment on them. that states my website name, which is my name.

but i still need to be a little spoon fed on how to proceed from here.

as for how my images was lifted off. i just showed my portfolio. but archived it on CD. but left the CD in the studio. and they conviently lifted it off my CD.

anka said:
I have a question. I have a series of unique images. in which a bridal studio lifted the images off my laptop without my knowledge.
the studio used the 2 images for their wedding album and 1 for their NAMECARDS!!!

the images are not even bridal stuff.

I have talked to the bridal shop in which they said i have no proof that it's mine (which they later admit that it is really my images)

they told me that they will consult their lawyers to see if my threat is justifiable.

This set of images have been publish before in magazines. but have not sent to US for copyrights patent.

now they tell me that they have no intentions of taking off my images from their album and the namecards.

anything i should know of before i talk to my lawyer in monday morning?

i wont say the name of the bridal studio or anything.

any idea what's it gonna cost them?

Do you still have the raw files with you?

original files are in JPG.

blurblock said:
Do you still have the raw files with you?

Good question!

ANKA: If they only got a proccessed version of your images, then the raw file will be the best proof! Try to also log down all details of your conversation with them, as to contents, people present, date & time.

sigh. a pity i cant show the images the used. as this series is infamously known to be shot by me. by showing what image it is would expose the studio.

anka said:
sigh. a pity i cant show the images the used. as this series is infamously known to be shot by me. by showing what image it is would expose the studio.

No worries. In this case I believe you have a really good case. Now the more troublesome thing is to estimate damages caused to you.

sian 1/2.

now it's getting worst.

just found that they used it for their brochure and corp. identity/logo.

It's your photo and therefore a case is presentable. I'm know nuts about the law stuff but all the best man. =) get some sleep now. Your photo must be really nice.

Speak to a lawyer. They are in a better position to advice you. Especially since you have a lot of things you can't say.

anka said:
sian 1/2.

now it's getting worst.

just found that they used it for their brochure and corp. identity/logo.

nono don't sian!

the more illegal reproductions they've made the more money you can sue off them. make them bleed.

foxtwo said:
nono don't sian!

the more illegal reproductions they've made the more money you can sue off them. make them bleed.

ya lah.. sian lah.. cause my name will be famous for bankrupting a bridal studio and not for my photography. then clients dare not ask me shoot.

anka said:
ya lah.. sian lah.. cause my name will be famous for bankrupting a bridal studio and not for my photography. then clients dare not ask me shoot.

famous, maybe. if the clients are professional businessmen/women then they will treat you with respect, because you have shown you respect your work and will not be pushed around. the shady bridal operators will know to leave you alone.

yes, copyright infringement is a pain, but the aftereffects are not really that bad as you make it to be.

must be night time hungry...

foxtwo said:
famous, maybe. if the clients are professional businessmen/women then they will treat you with respect, because you have shown you respect your work and will not be pushed around. the shady bridal operators will know to leave you alone.

yes, copyright infridgement is a pain, but the aftereffects are not really that bad as you make it to be.

it's infringement.. not inFRIDGEMENT. haha. anyway. dunno lah.. just sad that they use my image cuz it's my trademark. i'm like famous for it.. now everyone see my image, they would prolly go.. chey.. see before. nothing new.

what kinda images are these? anybody in them posing? if ther are, can't these people act as witnesses to the event, that you are the photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.