Coolpix 5700 or Dimage A1?


Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2003
11
0
0
#1
Hi all,

I'm new in photograpy. I plan to buy a digital camera, that's will be my first camera ever :embrass:
My budget is around $1.5K

Currently, I'm considering Nikon Coolpix 5700 and Minolta Dimage A1. Any suggestion which one should I choose? Or is there any other better option then these 2?

Any suggestion's very much appreciated.

Thanks
 

#2
wilddeepocean said:
Hi all,

I'm new in photograpy. I plan to buy a digital camera, that's will be my first camera ever :embrass:
My budget is around $1.5K

Currently, I'm considering Nikon Coolpix 5700 and Minolta Dimage A1. Any suggestion which one should I choose? Or is there any other better option then these 2?

Any suggestion's very much appreciated.

Thanks
1.5k? Why not add abit and get 300D?

As for 5700 you can for get about it if you want to capture fast action and low light photo. The focus is slow and shooting under low light is pain in the @ss. Think Minolta is better becos got image stabiliser.
 

Horus

New Member
Oct 23, 2002
562
0
0
Northern Singapore
#3
wilddeepocean said:
Hi all,

I'm new in photograpy. I plan to buy a digital camera, that's will be my first camera ever :embrass:
My budget is around $1.5K

Currently, I'm considering Nikon Coolpix 5700 and Minolta Dimage A1. Any suggestion which one should I choose? Or is there any other better option then these 2?

Any suggestion's very much appreciated.

Thanks
get the A1...it features image stabilization, has a 28mm wide angle. the 5700 is better for zoom...but depending on what you like to shoot. i'd prefer a wide angle for travelling. BUT then again...at that kind of budget i'd rather you get a Canon 300D SLR? Slightly more only but much more upgradable and flexible....
 

sk_online

New Member
Jul 29, 2003
289
0
0
34
#4
Horus said:
get the A1...it features image stabilization, has a 28mm wide angle. the 5700 is better for zoom...but depending on what you like to shoot. i'd prefer a wide angle for travelling. BUT then again...at that kind of budget i'd rather you get a Canon 300D SLR? Slightly more only but much more upgradable and flexible....
up with A1, love that AntiShake
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#5
Bobo said:
1.5k? Why not add abit and get 300D?

As for 5700 you can for get about it if you want to capture fast action and low light photo. The focus is slow and shooting under low light is pain in the @ss. Think Minolta is better becos got image stabiliser.
Because, not everybody needs a DSLR, not everybody is going to fork out more $ for extra lenses.

As for the 5700, it's how well you can master and overcome it's equipment weaknesses, I've used it to shoot a ROM, wedding (tea + church) and outdoor wedding. No complains from my clients so far. And I'm going to use it for another wedding shoot tomorrow. Complains anybody? :)

There are weaknesses and plus points in every camera, it's up to you to learn how to overcome them and make the best out of it, seeing only the weakness and not the plus points of it is not a good idea.

And last not least, go and try both cameras, see if you like the touch of which camera, then decide, I would say they're both great cams, personally of course I'll sure say the 5700, but do hands on and try them.
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#6
could consider a 2nd hand Fujifilm S602Z too if you want a good entry into the world of digital cameras. It has good and fast autofocus and the images captured are more than good enough for 8R prints.
 

frisky

Deregistered
Oct 13, 2002
733
0
0
Kitten's Den
Visit site
#7
Between the 2 I'll recommend the A1 over the 5700.

Reasons :

1) 28mm wide angle is very useful for wide angle indoor and scenary shots.
If you need long lens, 280mm is not going to be anywhere near enough.
2) Anti-shake
3) Lens thread on lens
4) Low light performance, particular the EVF image amplification.
5) Ergonomics
6) Mechanical zoom
7) Flash won't pop up when you don't want it.
 

Oct 22, 2003
11
0
0
#8
espn said:
Because, not everybody needs a DSLR, not everybody is going to fork out more $ for extra lenses.

As for the 5700, it's how well you can master and overcome it's equipment weaknesses, I've used it to shoot a ROM, wedding (tea + church) and outdoor wedding. No complains from my clients so far. And I'm going to use it for another wedding shoot tomorrow. Complains anybody? :)

There are weaknesses and plus points in every camera, it's up to you to learn how to overcome them and make the best out of it, seeing only the weakness and not the plus points of it is not a good idea.

And last not least, go and try both cameras, see if you like the touch of which camera, then decide, I would say they're both great cams, personally of course I'll sure say the 5700, but do hands on and try them.
Yeah, I don't think I would spend more for accessories after this purchase... :sweat:

I 've tried 5700 at best denki, but they didn't have A1 at that time...
However, since I'm really new, I don't think I can feel the different... :embrass:
 

Oct 22, 2003
11
0
0
#9
mpenza said:
could consider a 2nd hand Fujifilm S602Z too if you want a good entry into the world of digital cameras. It has good and fast autofocus and the images captured are more than good enough for 8R prints.
Thanks, I'll consider that... :)
 

ymun

New Member
Sep 3, 2003
203
0
0
#11
wilddeepocean said:
Yeah, I don't think I would spend more for accessories after this purchase... :sweat:

I 've tried 5700 at best denki, but they didn't have A1 at that time...
However, since I'm really new, I don't think I can feel the different... :embrass:

Hi. If you want to try out the A1, you may go to the Minolta Showroom at 6th Flr Funan Ctr. They have one displayed and for public to try. Unlike a retail store, you will not feel any bit of pressure to buy after trying. The staff there are real friendly also and you may approach them if you have any queries with the A1.
 

shutterbug

New Member
Jan 30, 2002
490
0
0
Anywhere
Visit site
#12
Both 5700 and A1 are excellent. I won't discount any of them.

It depends on your needs.

5700 has 28mm (with wide angle adapter, 280mm (8x zoom) and up to 420mm with Teleconverter).

I remember going to the zoo to shoot lion. I could get excellent close-up shots. 2 guys next to me was using the G3, they gave up cos they couldn't get close to the lion enough.

Fast action shot is possible for 5700, it's the photographer's skill that counts.


A1 could be better in other ways. Just weigh your pros and cons. ;)
 

Oct 22, 2003
11
0
0
#13
ymun said:
Hi. If you want to try out the A1, you may go to the Minolta Showroom at 6th Flr Funan Ctr. They have one displayed and for public to try. Unlike a retail store, you will not feel any bit of pressure to buy after trying. The staff there are real friendly also and you may approach them if you have any queries with the A1.
Ok, thanks for your info... :)
I'll go there and test it ;)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom