Convincing Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

zruns

Feb 12, 2010
Hi , i'm about to purchase my first slr camera

i would really like to purchase a second hand camera from the thecameraworkshop vs buying a new one , as i would like to spend more money on my lens. I've been borrowing a nikon d60 on and off , and would like to finally purchase my own slr. i am deciding over 450d , 500d or d5000.

problem i'm only in sec 2 but parents won't let me buy second hand though say to risky , i have already brought up good pointers that most of the time cameras are barely used and in good condition , older kids in my school who are pro photographers have recommended but they're still against the idea :/ my parents have no knowledge of the camera market and are being very narrow minded about the whole idea. They aren't exactly financially stable and they have borrowed money from me many times and i would like to relieve the pressure of them having to pay me back as they keep saying they will and i know they won't.

pls help with any other good reasons for me to convince them to become more willing :)

well. first things first. i dunno erm how to judge u. from ur words its almost like ur saying ur parents owe u those stuff. well.. shrugs.

"They aren't exactly financially stable and they have borrowed money from me many times and i would like to relieve the pressure of them having to pay me back as they keep saying they will and i know they won't."
u mind clarifying the bold parts? it might help a lil. it seems they very cash strapped. i see no reason why they will not wanna buy second hand.

as for ur so called "pro" seniors, i'm also very curious on their er. influence.

"older kids in my school who are pro photographers have recommended but they're still against the idea"
well. may i be as bold as to inquire what sch are u in? it helps if ur in a reputable sch. at least can argue ur seniors arent bad influences.

"i'm only in sec 2 but parents won't let me buy second hand though say to risky"
hmm. meaning they allow u to buy first hand? and ur age... well. lets say at ur age i was using 35 mm...

okkies. help me ans the 3 parts. i need to know more to help u. i was in ur position. except well... i played cameras and i started off with a borrowed 35mm slr with really old lenses. extimated 30 years ago at least.

i need to know ur financial status, how much u intend to spend.

to keep simple, u need to convince that ur helping ur parents to save money. but as i quote from the photographer that was helping me (dad's friend)
"if u wanna buy a camera make sure u earn it back"

Last edited:
I am very interested to know...

why do you need a camera for ?

my advice is.... if you cannot afford photography as a hobby, forget about it. Camera is always there, when you grow older , financially stronger, then you come back for it. Its never too late.

regards,
Billy.

i know i sound rude spoilt kid , okk here goes

Well they owe me $750, cause one week my mum decided she needed to spend more money on herself then needed and my parents didn't have any money left for the the weekend. i dnt rlly want to talk about my mum because if i do i'll like complain to much haha
put it this way shes quit three jobs in the last three years for no reason at all just because she didn't like her boss = my dad having to be soul breadwinner = stress = dad heart problems

35mm film camera
i've been using one of those for a yr as well + nikon d60 , i really love photography and completely serious about it

www.photobucket.com/zruns

School question
australian international school but i'm not there at the moment as parents can't afford school fees. so no school but the guy who suggested name is rolando hes on these forums too i think.

They think in two weeks everything financially ok because my dad does this currency trading thing and he thinks it be all ok , so they keep saying wait then and we give you the money back.

but i feel bad taking the money from them still at this time , so i just want to get it myself with out there help does that make sense

thankyou for suggestion on saving money will help
they believe they don't need to but i know they do

after finish writing this i feel bad and i think i've been really selfish writing this post only thinking about myself and how its affecting me and i could probably live without the camera i'm just being a suck and need to toughen up :) as i already have a great film camera
ur advice has really help me thankyou for asking all those questions as its made me question my self i owe you one :D

i plan to get into stock photo taking and i signed up for a few sites but they said i needed to take photos with slr they say my quality not good enough -_-

lots of my friends are keen skateboarders too :)

Hi , i'm about to purchase my first slr camera

i would really like to purchase a second hand camera from the thecameraworkshop vs buying a new one , as i would like to spend more money on my lens. I've been borrowing a nikon d60 on and off , and would like to finally purchase my own slr. i am deciding over 450d , 500d or d5000.

problem i'm only in sec 2 but parents won't let me buy second hand though say to risky , i have already brought up good pointers that most of the time cameras are barely used and in good condition , older kids in my school who are pro photographers have recommended but they're still against the idea :/ my parents have no knowledge of the camera market and are being very narrow minded about the whole idea. They aren't exactly financially stable and they have borrowed money from me many times and i would like to relieve the pressure of them having to pay me back as they keep saying they will and i know they won't.

pls help with any other good reasons for me to convince them to become more willing :)

Why must you buy from TCW?Clubsnap b&s also have what.Btw.......why only Canon 450D,500D and Nikon D5000?There are other entry level DSLRs like Canon 1000D,Nikon D3000,Sony A230/330,Pentax K-x.

And you also gotta factor in the costs of a dry cabinet,filters,mem card and batteries:)

hmm.

my first few concerns

my dad having to be soul breadwinner = stress = dad heart problems. i really think its quite a bad time to add pressure on ur dad.
they believe they don't need to but i know they do. well. i'll suggest u wanna do ur studies first. seems like ur sec 2, and u cant even afford the fees.
"australian international school but i'm not there at the moment as parents can't afford school fees."

... i dunno wad to say abt ur family. i dun like to make too much comments. so yea. its not the best place i wanna be in.

dare i be as bold as to suggest this?
u shld drop dslr photography. its not cheap to keep a dslr if u think abt it. factor in this

a dry cabi: 100-200 bucks
a canon 450d + lets say. my kit. tamron 27-50, efs 55-250, 50mm f1.8, 430exii flash.
i spent a good 2.6k in total.

add on the product photography suite, tianya filters etc etc tripods etc etc reflectors. it amted to 3.5k in no time.

lets put this in perspective.
u cannot even afford to study, u have problems with finances, i believe the last thing that shld be on ur mind is photography!
lets say u now register in a local sch (ffs why did ur parents even throw u in those international schs?)
u pay 24 bucks a month for a decent lvl of education. i'm in an ip garmen sch, so i pay jc fees like 24 bucks a month (which is dirt cheap)
books, computer, clothes, uniform. add together u need a good 2k plus.

yet in long term run u get better education. and possibly a better future. by then u want u can do ur photography.

its one thing to LOVE photography. its another to make a living out of it. unless u want to make a living out of it then u invest. but even now, at the age of 14 u arent even legally able to work!

i'll say get ur priorities right first. i didnt get a dslr till like my 9th year into photography. i started with compact film, then to diskette cameras from the sch, then to compact digi, then to cheapo 350d slrs from sch, then to borrowed film slr, and finally a dslr for myself.

ur still young. u got a long way to go. try taking it easy eh?

and hope i dun sound too offensive.i apologise for any er. harshness.

just worried for u. u need tat education first.

and i will like to noet. he does have an eye for photography. check out his silleoutte shots. its not bad :)

They aren't exactly financially stable and they have borrowed money from me many times and i would like to relieve the pressure of them having to pay me back as they keep saying they will and i know they won't.

suggest you start with a compact, cheap one and work it from there.

when one is limited financially why are you thinking about purchasing something that is not necessary to life?

btw, let me correct you, your money comes from your parents, so don't say that they borrow from you unless you earned the money. i doubt you have earned money at all at sec 2. they could very easily just give you minimal pocket money. cheers.

btw, reputable school or not, there are always bad influences. to say that being in a more reputable school means that your seniors are more trustable is hogwash.

don't know what to said about you...........

anyway, for photography,
get a camera is just a beginning,
and this hobby is like a bottomless pit,
you are only sec two,
how much money you want and you can to pump into these?

btw, stock image photography seem easy, but...
you will spend more time in front of monitor than behind the viewfinder in case you don't really know.
I believe they have minimum age unless you lie about it,
don't tell me they didn't ask to see your IC or passport?
how to sign a contract with them with your age?
they also want you to have a paypel a/c.
anyway, it can be a full time job with a part time pay if your shots don't really sell,
and to see results take years.

in another thread, you said you pay for everything yourself... may i know where do you get the money to pay for things on your own? are you working? just curious, since you mentioned that

and returns from stock are really more of quantity over quality.

for example, time magazine sells loads of copies all over the place, some issues they use stock photography, they pay the stock company peanuts, and then the photographer gets even less peanuts. it can be rather exasperating.

haha its not exactly hogwash. its good to know the enviroment.

if it was lets say... if it was top sch like hwachong, i know of ppl who have no sense of money. even my sch too. when i wanted to get my camera my senior was egging me to get a 5dmk1, with a less quality lens that covers 18-200. i nearlyfell for it.

seniors have a big impact on their juniors.

anyways back to topic. go to a good semi pro camera like lumix. it works too.

every school also got rich people. hwa chong also got poor people, same for most of the top schools. it is a mix. even for independent schools if you qualify for the MOE grant you will not have to pay full fees. you don't need to come from a bad school to be a pai kia. you do not need to come from a good school to act like your toilet bowl is full of gold every morning. everywhere's the same, it's just whether you choose to see it or not. the differences are in other places.

kk. lets not go into that general direction k? ~~

..yes at sec 2, you need help and advice but at the end of the day. It is you who decide your destiny

I'm a girl :)
where i gt money from? Cny birthdays and Xmas been saving for long time I have 900 saved at moment
I go bak to school nxt term at international skool so hpeflly everything getting better though :)
legal age to wrk in singapore is 14 two more weeks and I'll try get a job :) haha maccas?
As I said before I've been selfish only thinking bout myself and I shud jst b patient and a slr is something I lik it not something I absolutely need as I hav two great working cameras at the moment :)
be happy for what you have My lesson of the wk
Why I need
faster shutter and burst modes also ability to ajust apperture, shutter but nothing my film slr cnt do (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.