Convince me to switch systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnaxe

Oct 5, 2006
I currently have a K100D I am happy with, but that's going to go away in december, and I will be buying a new dslr.

I'm not too uncomfortable switching systems because I don't have very much kit (18-55, 50, 70-300, 1.7x telecon, bag) and the kit can follow the camera, if the entire new system deal is more compelling. In particular, during this switch, I will be looking for a fast normal range lens, because I've realised that carrying around only one lens + camera is much easier than carrying around a camera bag, will make me carry around my camera more often, and having only a 50/1.4 or slow 18-55 is generally pretty limiting (50/1.4 is generally better, but really sucks for many shots).

So - the new camera was going to be a Pentax K10D, and I was going to buy a Pentax DA*16-50 to use right now, but I've delayed that purchase and so changing systems is still an option.

Price is something of a factor, and weight is also a factor. On paper I would pay the price difference for the D300 over the 40D definitely, but there are other possible outcomes I suppose (e.g. if the D300 has unusuable-to-me ISO 3200 while the 40D has usable-to-me ISO 3200, etc.)

The main thing which is holding me back from changing is focal length range availability. The DA* 16-50 would give me 24-75 equivalent. For Canon, there's no way to get to 24mm equivalent in a "standard zoom" because of the larger crop factor and lens selection (without going up to a "full frame", which I will not consider because the cost is pretty prohibitive). For nikon it's close-ish (17-55) but the relevant lens has no IS. I don't think the canon has weathersealing, while the nikon does have it. Given my current habits the weathersealing is probably not such a big deal.

What do you think I should do? The DA* 16-50 is going to be available at COMEX, by all accounts, and I'm so very tempted...

(Note that I see no advantage in switching to Sony/Olympus - their lens lineups are not much better than the pentax lineup, and olympus in particular is unlikely to have new models in time for december.)

there is the tokina 16-50 which is roughly the same as the pentax 16-50
and i would suppose that it will be available in nikon and canon mount

not forgeting the not available yet AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED which would give you a 21-36mm on a DX sensor

Unless you intend to buy into the pro-range of nikon/canon I suggest you stick to the Sony/Pentax camp. Their bodies are often more feature packed at the same price point(e.g K10D) and you can always make use of affordable and relatively cheap 3rd party products to fill in any specific needs. (Features such as inbody image stabilization are a big boon to general photography that is sorely underrated.)

Canon/nikon only demonstrate their superiority when you get to their pro-lineup of bodies and lenses and also require professional product support which the other manufacturers have no answer to. Think hard to yourself how far you intend to go in photography before you take the next step.

there is the tokina 16-50 which is roughly the same as the pentax 16-50

Uh.

The tokina doesn't have supersonic focussing or weathersealing (or IS, for that matter).

I'm much more likely to get the first party equivalent.

Unless you intend to buy into the pro-range of nikon/canon I suggest you stick to the Sony/Pentax camp. Their bodies are often more feature packed at the same price point(e.g K10D) and you can always make use of affordable and relatively cheap 3rd party products to fill in any specific needs. (Features such as inbody image stabilization are a big boon to general photography that is sorely underrated.)

Canon/nikon only demonstrate their superiority when you get to their pro-lineup of bodies and lenses and also require professional product support which the other manufacturers have no answer to. Think hard to yourself how far you intend to go in photography before you take the next step.

Well... what do you mean by "pro" lineup? 1D, D3? I'm almost definitely not getting either of those. However, a D300 or 40D is within reach.

I doubt whatever you choose to use would make a difference to your current portfolio. Wanna bet?

I doubt whatever you choose to use would make a difference to your current portfolio. Wanna bet?

*laugh*

Please note that I'm buying because I have to, not because I want to upgrade...

edit: well.. "have to" if I want a camera at all ... :p

Well... what do you mean by "pro" lineup? 1D, D3? I'm almost definitely not getting either of those. However, a D300 or 40D is within reach.

A D300 or 40D would make it a tough call for you now, because both are new products that redefine the capabilities at their price points.However you would then be giving up your in-body IS that works on all lenses. As stated, if you want maximum bang for the buck as a system, I personally feel the K10D is a good choice if supplemented with 3rd party stuff. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend on the system as a whole.

Perhaps you may want to wait 1-2mths and see what Sony/Pentax will announce.

Have to buy? Why?

Have to buy? Why?

Cuz i'm giving the current camera away.

Well. It's a choice between buying a P&S and giving that away, buying a DSLR and giving that away, or giving away my DSLR and buying a new one. (muahahahaha)

A D300 or 40D would make it a tough call for you now, because both are new products that redefine the capabilities at their price points.However you would then be giving up your in-body IS that works on all lenses. As stated, if you want maximum bang for the buck as a system, I personally feel the K10D is a good choice if supplemented with 3rd party stuff. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend on the system as a whole.

Perhaps you may want to wait 1-2mths and see what Sony/Pentax will announce.

Hee. Thanks! This is what I figure too. I'm just wondering if anyone has some really novel reason I haven't even thought of :)

Buy a P and S and give your junk away.

i.e buy a new p/s and give your pentax away.

So helpful!

(uh. yes. I gathered what you meant. Any particular -reasons-?

Cuz i'm giving the current camera away.

Well. It's a choice between buying a P&S and giving that away, buying a DSLR and giving that away, or giving away my DSLR and buying a new one. (muahahahaha)

Nice choice, can you buy a P&S for now then upgrade to a DSLR later?

Really, it's because D300 isn't out until oct/nov and all assessment are purely based on paper specs. Also Sony introducing a couple of new bodies and lenses too.

However, currently based on specs, D300 is the way to go.

hahaha rofl
kenso what do you use

my junk produces pictures i like
how about your junk
npnt, 10 post boy

This man speaks this truth.

:heart: his pics :D

Nice choice, can you buy a P&S for now then upgrade to a DSLR later?

Really, it's because D300 isn't out until oct/nov and all assessment are purely based on paper specs. Also Sony introducing a couple of new bodies and lenses too.

However, currently based on specs, D300 is the way to go.

Well, I only need to get the cam in december, so I do have time. What's pressing right now is whether I should go get that 16-50. I guess I could also give that away...

Aieee.. I just don't know whether it'll be good enough to replace my 50/1.4 as a walkaround >.<

Need more demo pics!

what do you mean Junk?
a camera is just a tool
Its junk only when you dunno how to utilise it
Beautiful pictures can be made with any camera regardless of brand

Status
Not open for further replies.