converting your DSLR into monochrome... by scratching off the colour filter...

really gutsy... but, i can't imagine anyone intentionally scratching off the colour filter to convert the camera to BnW....

:eek:

If you did read the post, it is clearly stated.

makes you wonder why buy a leica monochrome, hor? :bsmilie:

With the same amount of $ you can scratch 5 D7100s of its color sensor and still retain one with color sensor in tact. :bsmilie:

With the same amount of $ you can scratch 5 D7100s of its color sensor and still retain one with color sensor in tact. :bsmilie:

Scratch n win prize.

the tones look flat ... thats a crude hacksaw method of converting into a bw camera

there are other methods of conversion to BW with various verisons of BW available out there for only a couple of hundred bucks

my personal view is to leave the camera alone and use screw-on color filters and/or PS

Last edited:
Anybody knows any service to do this locally?
Reason is i hope to do narrowband imaging in hydrogen-alpha, i'd prefer a proper b/w sensor.

Dumb to me, ingenious to some.

Taking the filter off removes a layer of light loss. Effectively its like getting a more sensitive sensor without more noise that normally accompanies.

Stars are pretty much just white dots unless you're talking major telescopes.

A BW camera is not likely to equal this hack. PS can't do anything if the data isn't there.

I've got some scrap sensors and tried to remove the Bayer filter.
Here's what I discovered:
- Removing the sensor glass cover is a bit tricky. It can break easily. Best is to apply solvent on the glue that holds the glass cover before prying open
- Scratching the Bayer filter with wood will leave some fine scratches. For better results, use lens tissue dipped in solvent

I've got some scrap sensors and tried to remove the Bayer filter.
Here's what I discovered:
- Removing the sensor glass cover is a bit tricky. It can break easily. Best is to apply solvent on the glue that holds the glass cover before prying open
- Scratching the Bayer filter with wood will leave some fine scratches. For better results, use lens tissue dipped in solvent

haha... i was about to message you to ask about your progress! i guess it is a no-go? i was following up on the thread over at petapixel. it seems those astro-photographers are using some industrial solvents (which i don't even want to pretend i understand...got lost when they started throwing multi-syllable chemical names... ) to remove the coating.

Tried my luck on another scrap sensor. This time I used a strong thread and solvent to carefully remove the glass cover.

Success! managed to remove the cover in one piece.
But removing the Bayer filter needs a delicate and long process so I decided not to proceed. :(

How would you "process" the resulting RAW? If I open the "mono" image in Sony Data Convertor, it surely applies the demosaicing process, when in reality it isn't needed.
Anyone familiar with opening a RAW image with something like DCRAW, so I can see if the Sony software is any different? RAW files are indeed mono, but I want to see if they are better with other software.
Gary