Converting Raw To JPEG

Status
Not open for further replies.

EelXam

Nov 8, 2008
CCK
Hi,

I am using Canon's bundle software to open my raw file. Most of the time I just push up the sharpness to 10/10 scale and a minor tweak here and there. However, when I convert the file to JPEG, the edge seems to be boxy which does not appear during raw preview. Anyone knows why?

too sharp, oversharpening causes that sort of artefact to appear

Ditto.

Canon's DPP tends to oversharpen images from RAW to JPEG. It is not a WYSIWYG thing.
Leave the sharpness from where it is, maybe turn a notch up. Personally use DPP for cropping, white balance, and at times a little curve...everything else go to Photoshop if I have the time.

Having said that, its the software fault for the boxes on the edge? Using photoshop won't have these results?

if you oversharpen in photoshop, the same will happen.

oversharpening can be done anywhere

For this over-sharpening matter, any image processing software will create the "boxy" effect mentioned in your mail or "halo" effect in other instances. "Controlled" sharpen a picture to optimally improve the picture and to NOT to over-sharpen the image.

Having it preview in the Canon software, even the sharpness was tuned to 10/10, it did not seems boxy. It only happen when I convert it to JPEG. Does that mean any changes I made in RAW format and converting to JPEG will not be the same?

Having it preview in the Canon software, even the sharpness was tuned to 10/10, it did not seems boxy. It only happen when I convert it to JPEG. Does that mean any changes I made in RAW format and converting to JPEG will not be the same?

You need to understand that JPEG is a compressed format. Therefore you get compression artefacts.

Hi,

I am using Canon's bundle software to open my raw file. Most of the time I just push up the sharpness to 10/10 scale and a minor tweak here and there. However, when I convert the file to JPEG, the edge seems to be boxy which does not appear during raw preview. Anyone knows why?

If all you're doing with your RAW files is increase the sharpness you're better off shooting in JPEG and just let it be.

As others have said... oversharpening causes the files to look terrible. Subtle is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.