Converting 300D to D70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

judhi

Jan 2, 2004
First of all, this is not an ads :)

Secondly, I'm not talking about comparing features of both camera.

I'm just wondering:

If you are allowed to trade your 300D to a brand new D70 at no additional cost; and also to trade every single Canon lens in your collection into Nikkor lenses with the similar spec, quality, age and condition; and also to trade your Canon speedlites to Nikon ones with similar spec, quality, age and condition; would you take this opportunity? Why?

Certainly answers from users who currently own 300D are much appreciated, but if you don't use 300D please feel free to give your opinion.

Thanks & Regards,
Judhi

Erm, if you dun compare features, how esle will you want ppl to explain why they wanna switch from 300D to D70????

Dun think at current status pple wud trade D70 for 300D ..... both cameras got their pros and cons. It is a matter of choice of your own.... :nono:

There is no point switching from Canon to Nikon just because they have introduced a better low-end DSLR. Are you then going to switch from the D70 to the 300D Mk II when it gets released?

The D70 is for people who don't already have an investment in either lens systems. If you have a lot of Canon stuff, there is no point making the switch, even if you were lucky enough to find a dealer dumb enough to give you a brand new D70 for a secondhand 300D body for no extra cost!

I don't understand people who sell their 300D's to get a D70. It is just plain foolishness. There is hardly any difference between them as far as image quality goes, so they are spending another $1000 (depreciation on 300D + cost of upgrading to D70) for a black body and faster speed. Much better off spending that $1000 on another lens.

Hahaha... okay, if it's really free to trade the 300D with D70 with no additional cost. I will do it, and immediately sell the D70 and buy back a new 300D. I will buy another good lens with the extra money (D70 is more expensive then 300D). :)

Actually in reality, such thing won't happen, who want to trade with you for free? :p

Both cameras are great. I will stick to Canon system, because I already get used the interface and control of Canon system. I will only sell it and upgrade to another Canon new DSLR, 300D MK II, 10D or 10D MK II.

No way! Once Canon, always Canon!

Reasons:
1. Need to re-learn the handling and techicalities, where got so free?

2. Can you find an idiot who will trade a new set (D70) with an old one (300D)? If you can, I would like to make friend with him/her!

3. How about other accessories? Need to come up with the money too! Where got so rich?

EOS 300D Mark II is coming? Really?

Virgo, thanks for your opinion, such an idiot might exist :D

Amfibius said:
There is no point switching from Canon to Nikon just because they have introduced a better low-end DSLR. Are you then going to switch from the D70 to the 300D Mk II when it gets released?
What makes you think 300D MK II will be way above what 300D is now? Looking at the trend of D30->D60->10D->10D MKII... oh well.. we've seen enough, a series of MK II is to be released, but I do agree that switching camps is not necessary because over and over, we never seem to match the capabilities of what a camera can provide, till now my camera still rules over me, every shot tells.

Amfibius said:
The D70 is for people who don't already have an investment in either lens systems. If you have a lot of Canon stuff, there is no point making the switch, even if you were lucky enough to find a dealer dumb enough to give you a brand new D70 for a secondhand 300D body for no extra cost!
Who said so? I've known of at least a MF user, 2 D2H users, and several others that bought it for backups and use with their existing systems. It's for EVERYBODY, even if you own a MF, Hassy or 1DS, you can still own the system. And if somebody will trade your 300D for D70 and lens for lens, the answer is obvious, go for it. If there's a lens to lens exchange, I know I'd be the first to agree to it if I own a 300D.

Amfibius said:
I don't understand people who sell their 300D's to get a D70. It is just plain foolishness. There is hardly any difference between them as far as image quality goes, so they are spending another $1000 (depreciation on 300D + cost of upgrading to D70) for a black body and faster speed. Much better off spending that $1000 on another lens.
That's what you see only, technology wise, design wise, Nikon has proven themselves as *not* following others technologies. Where is Nikon's DO equivalent technology, my reply was "Why should Nikon follow? Every technology is an improvement by leap and bounds, why hanker for minor improvements?" There is more than just image quality as compared to 300D, there's also handling, design and the promise of what Nikon will deliver now and in the future. $1K on another lens? Which one will it be? 17-35L, 16-35L or 17-40L? Sheesh. Nobody ever noticed why Canon produced three Ls in the same range? Heehee...

Anyway, I see no point in bashing each brand, I'm just being evil here, megaweb has already proven that no matter what system, the photographer is more important behind, Oly C750, D60, Oly E1, he has done them all and produced wonderful images, if we want to continue bashing, we're just wasting our time. With referring to this -

megaweb said:
meerkat_d70.jpg

The wiser ones will see the difference in 300D -> D70 though... :)

Virgo said:
No way! Once Canon, always Canon!

Reasons:
1. Need to re-learn the handling and techicalities, where got so free?

2. Can you find an idiot who will trade a new set (D70) with an old one (300D)? If you can, I would like to make friend with him/her!

3. How about other accessories? Need to come up with the money too! Where got so rich?

Dude, ur "No way! Once Canon, always Canon!" doesn't seem to go with your 2nd point :bsmilie: and for point 1, that's on how willing a person is to change, debatable here, I took a Canon system in my hand I scratched my head, I took a Nikon and I worked naturally, design & brightness applies here (I'm not that bright.... :bsmilie: )

The only accessories I see in this context to the 1 for 1 lens & body exchange, is the external speedlight, apart from that... hmmm nothing liao, even the 300D user gets a LCD protector now for the D70 he holds :bsmilie:

espn said:
The only accessories I see in this context to the 1 for 1 lens & body exchange, is the external speedlight, apart from that... hmmm nothing liao, even the 300D user gets a LCD protector now for the D70 he holds :bsmilie:

Another accessories actually worth to mention is vertical grip but since D70 has no vertical grip, I decided to rule this out. Let's not start asking about lens caps :)

LOL then need to compare the camera straps also a not? :bsmilie: Also the software included? :bsmilie:

judhi said:
First of all, this is not an ads :)

Secondly, I'm not talking about comparing features of both camera.

I'm just wondering:

If you are allowed to trade your 300D to a brand new D70 at no additional cost; and also to trade every single Canon lens in your collection into Nikkor lenses with the similar spec, quality, age and condition; and also to trade your Canon speedlites to Nikon ones with similar spec, quality, age and condition; would you take this opportunity? Why?

Certainly answers from users who currently own 300D are much appreciated, but if you don't use 300D please feel free to give your opinion.

Thanks & Regards,
Judhi

I don't quite get what you mean. If you're not looking at the specs then what would be the reason that you would even consider a switch?? No offence but it appears that you are thinking of switching but you have no idea at all if you should go ahead and is asking for others to help you justify the switch.

Back to the question....... having used both Nikon and Canon(and am still using now), no, I won't switch again.

Hi Kit,

Thanks for your comment. I am not looking for justification here but just out of curiousity driven by many similar threads before, here and in other places.

Sorry for not being so clear. What I meant by not comparing features is because I assume that we already know the spec of both D70 and 300D, no need to rewrite them again. So, given the limitations and advantages of each of them, why would you want to stay using 300D or trade to D70.

It is alright to mention the key feature that become your main consideration.
Just as an example, one of my friend said he would stay with 300D because he needs the low ISO rating. Another friend would like to jump to D70 because he has one lens only, and would like to have faster sync-flash.

judhi said:
EOS 300D Mark II is coming? Really?

Virgo, thanks for your opinion, such an idiot might exist :D

Well, the successor of 300D for sure will come out within 1/2 to 1 year, okay, maximum 2 years. But not now. The name might not be 300D Mark II, I just guessing... :)

espn said:
What makes you think 300D MK II will be way above what 300D is now?

Because, Canon have said that they want to be the 800 pound gorilla of the digital imaging world - and their rapid product cycle reflects that. Right now i'm just speculating, but my bet is that there will be a Canon which will equal or better the D70 before Q1 2005. I'm not complaining about the D70 - in fact i'm delighted that Nikon have released such an absolute gem of a camera!

I'm not here to argue about Canon vs. Nikon. As far as i'm concerned they can take turns sitting on top of the hill. In the end, all of us win. If Canon or Nikon were to win decisively then one company would become the Microsoft of the digital imaging world. I think you know what that means.

espn said:
That's what you see only, technology wise, design wise, Nikon has proven themselves as *not* following others technologies. Where is Nikon's DO equivalent technology, my reply was "Why should Nikon follow? Every technology is an improvement by leap and bounds, why hanker for minor improvements?"

Oh, they will follow eventually, don't worry about that :) I remember when USM and IS came out - Nikonians were deriding those innovations as gimmicks. Now that Nikon has come out with VR and SWM, Nikonians are clamouring for them. Competition is a good thing, isn't it? :)

Though having said that, a lot of Canonians do not like the 400 DO. Too expensive, and ugly bokeh. Still waiting for opinions on the new 70-300 DO. IMO this is one lead Nikon is better off not following unless they can somehow figure out a way to sell it cheap and fix the bokeh.

espn said:
17-35L, 16-35L or 17-40L? Sheesh. Nobody ever noticed why Canon produced three Ls in the same range? Heehee...

The 17-35L has been discontinued. There is only the 16-35 F/2.8L and the 17-40 F/4L, which is $1,000 cheaper than the faster lens. The answer is obvious - they want to compete in different price segments.

Amfibius,

Thanks for your opinion. Me too, glad that Nikon decided to go for head-to-head competition with Canon in DSLR playground. The benefits will certainly be at the customer's side.

But I have not really get a genuine answer for my original question above. It might sounds like crazy and very unlikely to have such offer, but since we live in 21st century, being crazy is common and anything can happen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.