Converted raw file color pale.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

Jun 1, 2003
Seng Kang Town
Visit site
playing around with Capture One DSLR to convert some RAW files to jpeg. But dunno why output color is very pale when compared to the preview in Capture One DSLR. Final output is being view in ACDsee.

Does anyone here know what the problem? Thanks

what colorspace is the output? I have a feeling it's Adobe RGG, there's no system wide thing like ColorSync on Windows.

Is ACDsee ICC profile aware?

oeyvind said:
what colorspace is the output? I have a feeling it's Adobe RGG, there's no system wide thing like ColorSync on Windows.

I uses "embed camera Profile" & "Convert to destination" duirng delevoping.
How to select colorspace?

May I know what do you mean by "ACDsee ICC profile aware"

Thanks for yours kind assistances

oeyvind said:

ahhhh :sweatsm:

After searching around the menu on color setting. I found out how to set liao.

Btw, I am now using "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" color space which is the same with my "Adobe gamma" setting. Is this the right and correct setting to employ?

Output seem to be the same now.

Matrix said:
Why :nono: ? I am :dunno:
:nono: <- Because IIRC, the software is a naughty software for not having the ability to understand color spaces and profiles. ;) Use something else like iMatch...

Matrix said:
ahhhh :sweatsm:

After searching around the menu on color setting. I found out how to set liao.

Btw, I am now using "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" color space which is the same with my "Adobe gamma" setting. Is this the right and correct setting to employ?

Output seem to be the same now.
Ehhhh, did you set it on ACDSee or C1? Adobe Gamma has nothing to do with color space... :confused:

use PS to open lor....then it will prompt you if u want to use colour profile

i use ACDSee also like that...the colour look very pale, i think it is ACDsee fault, may be the colour profile not loaded

I am using Adobe Photoshop Album 2. Very good image organising/viewing software. ICC profile aware and very cheap.

Watcher said:
Ehhhh, did you set it on ACDSee or C1? Adobe Gamma has nothing to do with color space... :confused:

err...I mean I set the color space of Capure One 1.2 Pro same the color profile set in "Adobe gamma". Which is "sRGB IEC61966-2.1".

Btw, I havd no problem with photoshop element, I think it is capable of selecting color space automatic. For Photoshop7, I set to "custom" by selecting "Monitor sRGB IEC61966-2.1" and it does not prompt me for what color space to use.

Am I right by doing above?

Wai said:
use PS to open lor....then it will prompt you if u want to use colour profile

i use ACDSee also like that...the colour look very pale, i think it is ACDsee fault, may be the colour profile not loaded
ACDSee does NOT understand anything like color profile, so by definition, it interpretes it as sRGB. There is no module or add-on of any sort on ACDSee for it to understand and interprete color spaces so it cannot load anything in the first place.

Matrix said:
err...I mean I set the color space of Capure One 1.2 Pro same the color profile set in "Adobe gamma". Which is "sRGB IEC61966-2.1".

Btw, I havd no problem with photoshop element, I think it is capable of selecting color space automatic. For Photoshop7, I set to "custom" by selecting "Monitor sRGB IEC61966-2.1" and it does not prompt me for what color space to use.

Am I right by doing above?
Oh I see. You actually did and early-binding by converting on your images to sRGB. By doing so, you will no longer be able to get back the colors later downstream in your workflow. This is fine if you only intend to put on web or print on home printers or Frontier machines...

Watcher said:
Oh I see. You actually did and early-binding by converting on your images to sRGB. By doing so, you will no longer be able to get back the colors later downstream in your workflow. This is fine if you only intend to put on web or print on home printers or Frontier machines...

I am blur liao. Can you explained what do you mean by those in bold? I am interested in knowing the "workflow" u mean.

You seemed to be knowledge in color space & workflow stuff. But I am too new in this area to understand what u meant. :dunno:

Thanks

Matrix said:
I am blur liao. Can you explained what do you mean by those in bold? I am interested in knowing the "workflow" u mean.

You seemed to be knowledge in color space & workflow stuff. But I am too new in this area to understand what u meant. :dunno:

Thanks
To bring yourself up to date, see old thread.

Basically, if you had taken a picture using your 10D in Adobe RGB mode, but during RAW conversion, convert the image to use sRGB profile, then you basically map colors inside the ARGB into the sRGB.

Read the book I recommended in the old thread; it is a very good book.

For more detail info on modern color management, you may wanna try reading this book: Real World Color Management

A few copies should be available in the national library branches, for those that don't wanna buy.

Aiyo...I see this thread for a few days liao and the poor fella is still confused. A also use Capture One.

My take from the description of your problem is that IT IS NOT A COLOR PROFILE PROBLEM. A color profile problem usu manifests in the color difference esp for blues and reds.

Instead your problem (my initial also) is the LACK OF SATURATION based on the camera profile. This manifests itself in the paleness of the photos. Probably due to Ang Mo skin tone preference. If u like bright colors, then I suggest u use the APPLY ALL tool and bump your saturation up to by 15% and contrast by 10%.

Better still to change your default preferences to apply saturation 15% and contrast 10%. This is my Capture One default settings.

Capture One RULEZ!!!!

PS : I'personally don't bother with Adobe RGB. YOur monitor and nearly ALL minilabs CANNOT print that color space. Stick with sRGB and be happy. It works very well already. Actually, even with sRGB, the minilab cannot reproduce all the colors. <wink>, But this is few.

I personally prefer using Adobe RGB. Cos I am an incurable purist :complain: and want to retain as much colour information as possible from the camera to begin with. Especially when I intend to do major tweaking to the colour in post and don't want major colour banding to appear as easily. And for several other reasons...

Oh and regarding pale colours, try this CaptureOne replacement profile. It works pretty well, for me at least, most of the time. http://etcetera.cc/pub/index.php/article/archive/3/

Java_Guru said:
PS : I'personally don't bother with Adobe RGB. YOur monitor and nearly ALL minilabs CANNOT print that color space. Stick with sRGB and be happy. It works very well already. Actually, even with sRGB, the minilab cannot reproduce all the colors. <wink>, But this is few.

I agree

before you even start using an AdobeRGB monitor - printer workflow, make sure you calibrate your printer and monitor first :) Otherwise, frankly, sRGB output is so much more painless and produces good results as well (using sRGB space, I can produce equal or better output on inkjet compared to say, sending a slide to Konota to scan and print on Frontier Machine)

but one weakness of sRGB would be skin tones, where the 'apparent' lack of saturation of Adobe RGB is an advantage... allows smoother gradations and prevents 'blockiness'.

Actually, his problem was because he was using Adobe RGB. Read his first post and 8.48pm to see that he solved the problem by converting the RAW into JPG in sRGB color space.

As I had mentioned previously, if you don't know what color space management is, don't play with it and complain that the colors are wrong. Stick with sRGB. Please read the old thread that I showed above. All the issues and recommendation, including the book, Real World Color Management, had been recommended since. No point repeating these points over and over again.

Noir, it seems that we keep meeting up on this topic :D :p . I too prefer AdobeRGB when producing RAW :D . I intend these pictures to be held onto for a long time; I do not intend my photos to be shoot and throw away after a few years, which seems to echo Canon's strategy in their product lines.

There ARE a few high end monitors that can produce a wider gamut than sRGB. So can inkjet printers, but this strictly depends on the model, ink and paper used. Eg Epson 2100/2200, upcoming R800, etc I have no idea on Canon priinters. Don't believe me? Read it on page 76-77 of the book, Real World Color Management. Look at the charts for yourself. These output devices will only improve, especially once printers like the upcoming R800 becomes more popular. Before too long (2-3 years), pictures in Adobe RGB will be printed in it full glory cheaply.

Not using AdobeRGB on your DSLR is equivalent of saying not using RAW. Both takes more work to get it right, but the result can be better if done properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.