convert ntfs to fat32 with out loosing what is on the drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublebomber

Jun 3, 2009
hi im pritty computer illiterate and would like to know if anyone can tell me how to convert my 500gb removable hard dirve to from ntfs to fat 32 with out loosing all the information on it.

thanks

Go to START > RUN > CMD

Type the following CONVERT drive: /FS:NTFS

Eg. convert e: /fs:ntfs

Disclaimer:
Although I have use this method on most of computer I support and you aren't supposed to lose your data using this method, always perform a backup first.

Last edited:
will this erase everything on the drive can u elaberate what this is doing

will this erase everything on the drive can u elaberate what this is doing

Basically it convert the file system in the drive. I will do a screenshot for you. Please give me sometime before my next post.

Go to START > RUN > CMD

Type the following CONVERT drive: /FS:NTFS

Eg. convert e: /fs:ntfs

Disclaimer:
Although I have use this method on most of computer I support and you aren't supposed to lose your data using this method, always perform a backup first.

he wants to convert from NTFS to FAT32 not the other way round.

I dun think you can step down from NTFS back to FAT32 unless you reformat. As NTFS is supposed to be more secured.

How do you select which drive to convert? I wants to convert mine too to suite iMac usuage.

Once you plug in the portable hard drive. Check the drive letter at my computer. I will do a screen shot for you.

he wants to convert from NTFS to FAT32 not the other way round.

I dun think you can step down from NTFS back to FAT32 unless you reformat. As NTFS is supposed to be more secured.

SRY my mistake didn't read properly. MY BAD

You can back convert with partition magic.

I heard once you stored files on the ext HDD u can't partition it anymore. :dunno:

I not sure either for back convert as I have never perform them before. I will test it out once I am in the office.

It's ok to be computer-illiterate, but Google is available, right? ;)
Copy the data to any other volume and do a reformat with FAT32. There are options involving software (Partition Magic) but I'd not recommend that considering your knowledge.

however what i am asking is can i partition it to fat32 without loosing my stuff as it is 500gb hdd. the reason i ask is cause ps3 only takes fat32 partitioned removable hdd. if anyone has options would be great

Can you not back up your data and format the drive as fat32?

however what i am asking is can i partition it to fat32 without loosing my stuff as it is 500gb hdd. the reason i ask is cause ps3 only takes fat32 partitioned removable hdd. if anyone has options would be great

if yours is a removable hard drive (as in those portable hard drive), by default it should be fat32 unless you convert it before.

are you sure its using NTFS? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.