convert image to "vector" object?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwchoy

Jul 16, 2003
Tampines, Singapore.
www.hexazona.com
I am trying to make a logo which is plain colour on white, into a "vector" (i.e. not a flattened image). I wanted to make a drop shadow in the shape of the graphics (similar to shadow of text). Can anyone advise how? Many thanx. ;p

I tried to extract the edges but couldn’t get it as a "shape". The logo I’m trying to use:
LOGO.jpg

hwchoy said:
I am trying to make a logo which is plain colour on white, into a "vector" (i.e. not a flattened image). I wanted to make a drop shadow in the shape of the graphics (similar to shadow of text). Can anyone advise how? Many thanx. ;p

I tried to extract the edges but couldn’t get it as a "shape". The logo I’m trying to use:
LOGO.jpg

Selection in PS and convert to path.

yo yo yo...if you want to get a drop shadow using Freehand, please get Freehand MX...however, the BEST for drop shadow effects using DTP softwares is Illustrator 10.

If you want vector pathing in PS CS...follow Sion's advice cos' that's the only way out.

If you want to make a logo...Freehand is the easiest to use. happy trying to cre8.

thanx for all the suggestions. I am using PSCS for everything else (e.g. drop shadow) since it is the only tool I have. Will go try the vector path suggested by Sion. You'll probably see me back asking how to do it :p

Sion said:
Use Magic Wand.

paiseh :embrass: I used magic wand to select all the things I wanted, but couldn't find the convert to path command leh :dunno: still digging through the manual :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

1. Click the magic wand icon. (i'm using PS 7)

Set the following:
Tolerance: 20
Anti-Aliased: Checked
Contiguous: Checked
Use All Layers: UNchecked.

2. Select the white area of your logo (background layer), then invert the selection (Ctrl+Shift+I)

3. Press Ctrl+J to Copy the selection.

4. Apply blending Options: drop shadow.

You don't need to convert to paths at all... use a channel instead...
1. Select whole image (Ctrl-A)
2. Copy (Ctrl-C)
3. Got to channels panel
4. Create New Channel
5. Paste (Ctrl-V)
6. Invert Channel (Ctrl-I)
7. Make the picture pure b&w using levels (Ctrl-L, slide the right slider till just past the 2nd peak, slide left slider to just past left peak)
8. Load Channel as Selection (1st button in Channels Panel)
9. Go back to Layers Panel & Select the Layer with the logo
10. Add vector mask (Layers Panel 2nd button)
11. Add Layer style.Drop Shadow (Layers Panel 1st Button)
logo_stteleport.gif

You should try to avoid using magic wand as it will not catch some of the areas... for eg, the corners of the adjoining lines

hwchoy said:
well well well, thank you for all the tips and advise. this is what I’m looking for…

Hi Choy,
definitely look nicer than the old sunburst logo...
but some of the letters are a bit rough on the edges (like the 'O' in teleport). Is that on purpose?

-WK

good start...

only improvement is your drop shadow...make it look greyish for a more professional look...above all...a good start indeed

Hi WK, yeah this image was just for testing so didn't really bother. Think the selection didn't follow the text curvature properly. Might still look out for Macromedia Freehand as the output from that one looks really really nice (very very accurate curvatures, and you know how picky I am with fonts :p )

Khairi, yeah still messing around with the various effects and saturations. Plus the drop shadows will not be part of the logo, rather will be single-use effects depending on the application (poster or website, etc).

willy, thanx for the new technique, will go and try it out too. :thumbsup:

Use freehand/illustrator if u are into making logos. The provide better controls over vector than photoshop anytime. To add special effects then use photoshop.

One tip.... select the logo in Freehand and copy (Ctrl-C) then go over to photoshop and paste (Ctrl-V) into an open canvas/picture then you can resize the logo to your hearts desire! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.