CONVERSION OF DA* 16 - 50 AND 50 - 135 LENS TO SCREW DRIVE

maverickh

Mar 22, 2009
Fellow Pentaxians,

There have been enqueries of late regarding the conversion of DA* lens to screw drive.

Only selected models of the K series cameras can be used to do the conversion. Over time the pool of such cameras available amongst us will become less due to damage or sold to non active Pentaxians.

Ben and Fengwei have agreed to make time for this conversion exercise on 18th Nov 2015 (Wednesday). I therefore urge fellow Pentaxians who has not converted their DA* 16 - 50 and DA* 50 - 135 lens , each to bring along their lens and 2 bottles of beer for each of them, for this conversion exercise. The more beers they drink the more alert and willing they become in rendering assistance. :bsmilie:

Some kindly soul please also bring along a lap top which has an SD card reader and a SD card.

The venue and time is as indicated below .

Venue : Blk 359 Bukit Batok West Avenue 5 ( about 3 mins walk from Bukit Gombak MRT station)
Date: November 18 2015
Time: 6pm onwards

Fengwei Hp 91993299

See you guys then.. Cheers !!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: pinholecam
Great initiative!

Converted my DA*16-50 with my K5 firmware v1.12. I like the focusing now than before. Screw drive focus seems to be more decisive than SDM.
I can live with the sound from screw drive, I am definitely happier now.

I recommend those who own it to consider this conversion.
Cheers!

Agree. I converted both my DA*16-50 & DA*50-35 the last time FW volunteered to help. I have since sold away the 50-135 but the screw drive on the 16-50 is so much faster now. Although I had no issues with SDM.

Thanks for the heads up. Think I want to convert my 16-50 to screw drive too. So the 2 bottles of beer is mandatory? ;)

Thanks for the heads up. Think I want to convert my 16-50 to screw drive too. So the 2 bottles of beer is mandatory? ;)

2 bottles and they will screw up 2 lenses ....... :bsmilie:

Thanks Franz for the initiative. Unfortunately Thursday isn't good for either Ben or me. We better change to Wed instead. Please do come of you think we can help. Meantime we can chitchat a bit.

Wow...this is a good deal for a couple of beers.

The last time I repaired the SDM of the 50-135, it cost $350 and 4 weeks.

So this is definitely worth it.. :D

Last edited:
Wow...this is a good deal for a couple of beers.

The last time I repaired the SDM of the 50-135, it cost $350 and 4 weeks.

So this is definitely worth it.. :D

My DA50-135 SM failed 2nd time. 1st time still under warranty.
Now converted to screw drive.

With $350 can buy few cartons of :cheers: and no more worry when will SDM failure hit you.;)

My DA50-135 SM failed 2nd time. 1st time still under warranty.
Now converted to screw drive.

With $350 can buy few cartons of :cheers: and no more worry when will SDM failure hit you.;)

Ben. After a few cartons of beer. You will not be able to convert any lens to screw drive. :D

That's you, definitely not Ben or me. :D

....bring on the beer and bring in the lenses .....the more the merrier ........... :cheergal:

...for those taking public, block 359 is CS (coffee-shop) along main road facing MRT tracks towards Woodlands.

I'll be there! Tiger, Carlsberg, Heineken or Anchor? ;)

I'll be there! Tiger, Carlsberg, Heineken or Anchor? ;)

Anything the beer girls selling over there ;)

Hope more guys would be able to join. There are a few guys contacted me before, but ended up couldn't get the job done due to various reasons. This is the best chance for all of us.

Hope more guys would be able to join. There are a few guys contacted me before, but ended up couldn't get the job done due to various reasons. This is the best chance for all of us.

I wish too cause my lens need conversion. Too bad got night class to attend...enjoy guys

Guess you get alot of beers this wednesday. =)

Yes,
Keng MC, Pon-ten , Fly aeroplane your GF, also must find a way to go this round.

I've had a few queries on this as well.
Its just getting harder and harder for the stars to align to make it happen.
:D

This opportunity does not always happen since the cameras that can do the mod is becoming less and some members with the cameras are no longer active (or worse changed brands).
So if anyone wants it done, you own it to yourselves to make it there or pass it to a friend who can go.

Last edited:
This time around how many bottle of beer will be there?

Agree with pinholecam. It took some effort to arrange and co-ordinate this conversion exercise.

I strongly urge those with the 2 lens to either be there or to make arrangements with a friend to bring your lens down for the conversion.

Who knows maybe FW or Ben may strike Toto $6 million , next round and then jump ship.... then there may not be another next time.... :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: