Conversion Factor ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutter_kcg

Jun 16, 2004
I notice so far only the 1Ds offers zero Conversion factor on Lens ie: a 28-70mm IS 28-70mm. .. I was hoping 1D Mark II to hv this feature but I dun think so.. becoz' I hv some lens with my old EOS 5, but not feeling good with the Digital camera's conversion factor... anyone hv idea if Canon coming out with any zero conversion factor lens system soon ? thanx

shutter_kcg said:
I notice so far only the 1Ds offers zero Conversion factor on Lens ie: a 28-70mm IS 28-70mm. .. I was hoping 1D Mark II to hv this feature but I dun think so.. becoz' I hv some lens with my old EOS 5, but not feeling good with the Digital camera's conversion factor... anyone hv idea if Canon coming out with any zero conversion factor lens system soon ? thanx

Shutter,
it's not really a 'conversion' factor but a 'crop' factor. As far as the lens is concerned, there is absoulutely no change. What happens is that the sensor is smaller (1.5/1.6x crop is about APS size), and thus lenses that were made for 35mm film cams liek the EOS 5 will cast a larger image circle than can be used by the sensor. The edges are discarded.

As for no 'crop' sensors, (aka full frame), you are looking at whopping expensive cameras. The 1Dmk2 with 1.3x crop is already $7.5K+, the FF 1Ds launched at more than $10K+. Canon will likely be launching a replacement for the 1Ds by year's end, and will likely sell for much more than $7.5K+. So unless you have really deep pockets, don't hold your breath waiting for Canon to launch an affordable FF camera anytime soon.

Don't worry too much about this 'crop', it really only hurts the wide-angle lenses, as 18mm becomes ~29mm. All of Canon's current lens offerings work perfectly well on their digital bodies.

Cheers,

Normal SLR lens cast a image ring that is just nice for a 35mm Film, while having sensor tat is 1.5/1.6x smaller, meaning a smaller portion of the image cast will be captured...

The crop factor doesn't really bothers me cos I don't use the wide end TAT often, and if you're a tele shooter type, you'll love it cos its a in-built 1.6x Teleconverter :D:D

Prehaps as technology advance, they would figure out a way to fabricate a cheaper Full Frame sensors... but then again, it all depends on Canon's marketing strategy and what benifit them the most. I think they would favor ppl buying the Full Frame 1Ds cos they could have a higher profit margine from that? rather than squeezing FF in a low end which they are trying to stay most competitive?

Only canon will tell (any canon Marketing strategies here???)

RossChang said:
The crop factor doesn't really bothers me cos I don't use the wide end TAT often, and if you're a tele shooter type, you'll love it cos its a in-built 1.6x Teleconverter :D:D

Guess I belong to this type ;p usually find my lenses not long enough, rather than wide. anyway, for those into wide-angle, there's a capable Sigma 12-24 to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.