Controlling Flash in strong backlit situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

canongrapherL

Aug 9, 2006
How do one control or uses their flash on their dark subject in strong backlit situation? You do not want to overexpose the already-bright background but neither you want to underexpose your already-dark subject.

What should be the correct approach? Please share.

canongrapherL said:
How do one control or uses their flash on their dark subject in strong backlit situation? You do not want to overexpose the already-bright background but neither you want to underexpose your already-dark subject.

what do you mean by control/use the flash? your question is very vague for me ...

canongrapherL said:

use HSS, then point your flash head directly at subject, spot meter on the subject, and shoot.

but den if i was the one shooting, there its another story altogether, mine need to chut pattern 1... hahah... cos i need trial & error, i dun like direct light. find out your own style...

canongrapherL said:

take 2 shots in RAW and then use HDR in CS2 to get correct exposures for both foreground and background

Pardon me, what is HDR?

Any techniques to take photos without having to photoshop?

Set your flash to Manual, and maximum output.
Set to Tv mode, at your cam's fastest sync speed, usually 1/250s.
-1 EV on your cam.
ISO does not really matter as long as your aperture is able to handle the situation. i.e.: not at your highest F-number. if it is, dial down ISO.

Aim and make sure is focused at your subject.
Fire away.
Preview, adjust flash output as necessary.

i just shot an event today & every shot was against the sun. my style is high shutter/small aperture. bokeh isn't stunning but its still there...with no overexposure.

wont 1/250 overexpose the background if it is really strong sunlight?

AReality said:
-1 EV on your cam.
ISO does not really matter as long as your aperture is able to handle the situation. i.e.: not at your highest F-number. if it is, dial down ISO.

Fire away.

AReality said:
-1 EV on your cam.

Fire away.

canongrapherL said:

there's no way your itsybitsy flash can be more powerful than the sun.

There's always the option of reflector + strobe combi if you really want. :sweat:

there's this guy on the internet who has a website that talks about the use of flash extensively with a number of great real-life experience stories. he is a portrait photographer (often doing location work) and he has a few techniques that helped me tremendously. take a look at his website at http://www.dg28.com/technique.html. i think you'll find your answers there.

My example of strong backlight

dsc10230001bc9.jpg

Setting

Focal Length: 70mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/180 sec - F/2.8
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 100
Optimize Image: Normal
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-S
Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
Auto Flash Mode: Built-in TTL
Auto Flash Comp: -3.0 EV
Second Flash: -0.7 EV
Color Mode: Mode I (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Auto
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment: copyright(C)glenn
Long Exposure NR: Off
High ISO NR: Off

assuming u r a canon user, setting P n centre weighted metering,-

aim at the bright spot,
press FEL, focus n recompose,
shoot.
that's it,
use a lower iso too would help unless its night scene.

jude

CYRN said:

There's always the option of reflector + strobe combi if you really want. :sweat:

haha. You got me wrong.

Let describe the situation again. When you meter at the strong background of the sky, the meter says "1/2000" but when you meter your subject in front of the sky, it says "1/250". THEREfore, if I shoot at the shutter speed of "1/250" this shutter speed will be too long for the background and thus overexpose the strongly lit sky (Though the subject is correctly exposed). BUT if I shoot at "1/2000", my backlit subject will be underexposed so some flash is necessary (But TTL will be fooled by the sun so need manual flash control)

So there should be a methodological approach to caculate the the right shutter speed and flash manipulation in order to correctly expose both background and foreground subjects. I am surprised nobody seems to be able to describe the approach yet.

canongrapherL said:
haha. You got me wrong.

Let describe the situation again. When you meter at the strong background of the sky, the meter says "1/2000" but when you meter your subject in front of the sky, it says "1/250". THEREfore, if I shoot at the shutter speed of "1/250" this shutter speed will be too long for the background and thus overexpose the strongly lit sky (Though the subject is correctly exposed). BUT if I shoot at "1/2000", my backlit subject will be underexposed so some flash is necessary (But TTL will be fooled by the sun so need manual flash control)

So there should be a methodological approach to caculate the the right shutter speed and flash manipulation in order to correctly expose both background and foreground subjects. I am surprised nobody seems to be able to describe the approach yet.

oic... normally ppl use ND filters loh.

Else use the FP thingy, common in flashes nowadays, and shoot @ 1/2000. Cuz if you dun use the FP thingy, you'd be stuck @ 1/200 or 1/250 anyway.

For calculation between subject and BG... depends on the contrast between them loh...if beyond sensor's DR no matter how also cannot loh.

CYRN said:

It depends... the other way to have a stronger flash is to move closer to the subject... you might have to use a wider lens though..

Status
Not open for further replies.