Controlled Price for Major Brands?

seanyzf

Apr 2, 2011
Hmmm, how come the price for online retail stores is the same as those with retail shops in SG? I though it suppose to be cheaper since they dun have a store front thus saving rental fees? Or the pricing is controlled by Canon and Nikon?

seanyzf said:
Hmmm, how come the price for online retail stores is the same as those with retail shops in SG? I though it suppose to be cheaper since they dun have a store front thus saving rental fees? Or the pricing is controlled by Canon and Nikon?

Which stores are you comparing?

They can only show the SRP or the Promo price by the major brands. If you want the actual price then have to go down and ask them or call them for quotation. Thats how its been done for god knows how long. oh yes...depending on the shop, NETS is not == to cash so payment by cash is somewhat lower then NETS and then there are times where credit cards have better promo then cash so do ask on preferred mode of payment.

Last edited:
Running a online store does not mean there is no overhead, they have to pay advertising fee to advertise their business, the cost can even higher then the rental of a physical shop at down town area, just look at how many times and how many places you can see their advertisement you can roughly work out their expenditure on this areas.

anyway, tho many retails shops have websites, but did not spend a lot of energy or money on their online appearance.

Which stores are you comparing?

I'm refering to BargainCity.com.sg which seems be to the only online store in SG which take in order and delivered through their website. Their price seem not that attractive as compare to shops in Funan and sometimes even more ex.

They can only show the SRP or the Promo price by the major brands. If you want the actual price then have to go down and ask them or call them for quotation. Thats how its been done for god knows how long. oh yes...depending on the shop, NETS is not == to cash so payment by cash is somewhat lower then NETS and then there are times where credit cards have better promo then cash so do ask on preferred mode of payment.

Is this so? How come they never hint on anything like that? From the websites, it's usually checkout, confirmed and deliver. I'm referring to those based in SG, do you know anymore of such online stores in SG?

Running a online store does not mean there is no overhead, they have to pay advertising fee to advertise their business, the cost can even higher then the rental of a physical shop at down town area, just look at how many times and how many places you can see their advertisement you can roughly work out their expenditure on this areas.

anyway, tho many retails shops have websites, but did not spend a lot of energy or money on their online appearance.

I have to agree with this, it always by words of mouth or through some forums recommendation.

For real camera shopping experience you must try Sham Shui Po in Hong Kong.

Sham+Shui+Po-02_L7C1463.jpg

Is a free market, there is no such thing as controlled price.
how do you know? Alot of brands here actually have their price controlled by the Distro but i'm not sure abt cameras.

how do you know? Alot of brands here actually have their price controlled by the Distro but i'm not sure abt cameras.

it all depends on the margin they are willing to make. Think of it this way, if someone sells camera at $799 and people are willing to pay $799 then everyone will sell at $799.

If someone else sell at $699 then those majority that sell at $799 will kpkb to the distro and hence distro will usually blacklist the shop.

That shop will then sell as Grey sets but at $749 since no one else is selling at $699 and everyone else is selling at $799. Quite a number of people are okay with shop warranty just to save the $50.