Contract Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyanyap

Dec 19, 2005
www.flickr.com
I am on the job market now after completion of my contract. I have been on contract jobs since 2003 when company I worked for downsized.

I always got from recruiter "expressing concern" why I am on contract all the times. They want to know the reason why I am on contract. Personally I am not sure what the concern about?

With a family to feed, I took whatever is available to me. I just cannot sit and wait for permanent job. Bills do not wait. Mortgages do not want. My child hunger for milk cannot wait for perm jobs to be available.

The nature of my job are basically project basis. Company hired me to solve problem, build thing and once done I am out of it. Not to mention, most firm seems to be in these on-going, restructuring, cost cutting exercise.

Head count freeze seems to be the strategy of the day for most organisations.

The most ironic thing happens once when a recruiter acting on half on her client said why all my jobs are contracts in nature. I inquire further and she said that the position she has is a contract job! :confused:

Does contract jobs not counts as valid working experience? I got paid, I got CPF contribution and I did the same job as my those permanent staff.

Whether from agency or line manager, hirer seems concern about my long lists of contract jobs are really beyond my understanding!

I am on the job market now after completion of my contract. I have been on contract jobs since 2003 when company I worked for downsized.

I always got from recruiter "expressing concern" why I am on contract all the times. They want to know the reason why I am on contract. Personally I am not sure what the concern about?

With a family to feed, I took whatever is available to me. I just cannot sit and wait for permanent job. Bills do not wait. Mortgages do not want. My child hunger for milk cannot wait for perm jobs to be available.

The nature of my job are basically project basis. Company hired me to solve problem, build thing and once done I am out of it. Not to mention, most firm seems to be in these on-going, restructuring, cost cutting exercise.

The most ironic thing happens once when a recruiter acting on half on her client said why all my jobs are contracts in nature. I inquire further and she said that the position she has is a contract job! :confused:

Does contract jobs not counts as valid working experience? I got paid, I got CPF contribution and I did the same job as my those permanent staff.

Whether from agency or line manager, hirer seems concern about my long lists of contract jobs are really beyond my understanding!

:cry:

Dun get discouraged by such employer. I bet others view u as a someone with a wealth of experience.
Alot of companies are employing workers on contract basis. For example, some divisions in IBM hire managers, yes MANAGERS on contract basis. This allows them to cut costs in times of economic downturns.

Haiz...

i am also on project basis wad..

however always plan ahead, act fast too....

and project basis jobs tend to get more moolah... ;)

it is the reality, i am afraid. you take on whatever is available to feed your family. these hirers are still behind times as far as their thinking are concerned. heck care them.

IMHO, it really depends on what type of companies you are looking at. Traditionally, or to companies with older mindset, esp chinese companies, the term "contract" usually refers to temp staff, who are engaged to clear simpler junk works on ad-hoc basis. Whereas for newer modern organisations, "contract" is a norm for engaging short term professionals to clear bottlenecks, just like outsourcing.

Don't let this troubles you. :)

dun like this bother u , contract job is a professional work , if u received funny treatment , heck care them ,
at the end of the day, a contract is a professional work for performed for client.

infact the work itself highlights that u r a mobile person holding portable skills that can be applied on contract work.

anything else they should be looking for a perm staff already .

Status
Not open for further replies.