Contemplation

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildsoyabean

Sep 28, 2008
Okie...its critque time...wack me!

3078266911_26bd6d53c4.jpg

this is a 3 shot hdr with exposure compensation at -2,0,+2.
iso 100
f/13
exposure time 1/30s

pp- i used photoshop to merge them, and auto level/colours/contrast, follow by a crop

wanted to get a feeling of the man thinking, contemplating on issues in life. u know the kinda feeling...u get once in a while when u sit facing a huge ocean (clark quay in this case) and u ask what are you doing in ur life.

would like critque on composition, the post process( was the hdr done all right).

cheers

looks to me that the man was looking at the buildings instead? try B/W, might be better for getting these kinda 'feelings'.
composition is okay, but maybe you could sneak up to him and take a photo just him and the river?
colors here is good, but i can't help but to notice haloing from the buildings.
overall, not a bad shot.

honestly, i cant really tell this is a hdr photo. theres no dynamic range per se. but other posters, please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

seeing that you wanted to show the man contemplating, you could have gone in for a tighter zoom with the man filling the frame more. cos right now its looking abit like this is the skyline! but oops, theres a man. :)

looks to me that the man was looking at the buildings instead? try B/W, might be better for getting these kinda 'feelings'.
composition is okay, but maybe you could sneak up to him and take a photo just him and the river?
colors here is good, but i can't help but to notice haloing from the buildings.
overall, not a bad shot.

i did thought of b+w... but colours so nice haha

honestly, i cant really tell this is a hdr photo. theres no dynamic range per se. but other posters, please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

seeing that you wanted to show the man contemplating, you could have gone in for a tighter zoom with the man filling the frame more. cos right now its looking abit like this is the skyline! but oops, theres a man. :)

okie lets try the above ideas.....which is better?

3078347411_6367fb6a24.jpg

honestly, it's better FOR ME. note i said for me. lol. hmmm, TS, it's your shot, you call the shots :)

your 2nd take was slightly better. but maybe you can consider increasing the contrast? zoom in SLIGHTLY further to put the man filling more of the lower left third of the photo?
you could also try split toning instead of total b&w. considering its a contemplative shot, a slight sombre colour could add more to the feel. :)
http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-effects/split-toning.html

but yeah, like HTCahHTC said, its your shot! in the end you must like it! we're just here to give you suggestions to -possibly- make it better. :)

your 2nd take was slightly better. but maybe you can consider increasing the contrast? zoom in SLIGHTLY further to put the man filling more of the lower left third of the photo?
you could also try split toning instead of total b&w. considering its a contemplative shot, a slight sombre colour could add more to the feel. :)
http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-effects/split-toning.html

but yeah, like HTCahHTC said, its your shot! in the end you must like it! we're just here to give you suggestions to -possibly- make it better. :)

okie...thanks...would try it next time...photoshop skills still quite limited....:think:

Take note of the halo around all buildings, quite obvious in the colour pic and still visible in the B/W one.

You may want to invest in Photomatics if you want to get better dynamic range(that kind of surreal effect).:)

By the way, I prefer your second take.:)

I see apparent haloing around the buildings.
And I see no contemplation around here. Can't feel it.

To me, the main subject here seems to be the location rather than the man.

Perhaps you would want to show more of the men's face? the expression and all.
and perhaps a ferry passing by in the ctr of the river would be a nice add~
jus mi 2c
im learning as well..

Perhaps you would want to show more of the men's face? the expression and all.
and perhaps a ferry passing by in the ctr of the river would be a nice add~
jus mi 2c
im learning as well..

that doesn't exacly have anything to do with the title :)

to TS: would it be better if you played with depth of field for the picture?

that doesn't exacly have anything to do with the title :)

to TS: would it be better if you played with depth of field for the picture?

If you're hinting a blurred line of buildings, how would that help the picture in becoming more of a 'contemplation'?

If you're hinting a blurred line of buildings, how would that help the picture in becoming more of a 'contemplation'?

its just a suggestion. it may bring out the viewers attention on the man rather than the buildings.

hmmz..

i included the background cos i like the idea of seeing something majestic(clearly not majestic egh in this case) before u start thinking how small we are in life.

so blurring background is a nono.

i wished i can shoot more expression though...but it was clearly street photography...besides go closer later that guy see me shooting him, he smile or xiam then sian liao....haha couldnt ask him to pose for me too right..:dunno:

Why didnt you just simply titled it as "Sitting by the river"?

No one look at a cityscape and think about life. Unless he own the city.

HDR is overdone.

If you need HDR to bring out contemplation the photo fail at both photography and naming. Contemplation means dividing, not merging photos.

0/10 - zero marks for producing a fake looking photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.