Contemplating to get Sony HX5V or the Panasonic TZ10

Cochran

Sep 18, 2007
Hi

Now i'm looking for a super zoom compact cam.
Dun know which to get. but the IT show sony looks good.

Pro of Sony
1. Lighter and compact in size compared to TZ10
2. Can get full HD 1920 x 1080 video
3. Better low light photo than tz10?

Pro of Panasonic TZ10
1. High medapixel at 12mp and 12 x zoom. sony only 10mp and 10 x zoom

My qns is. As sony is using AVCHD and pana is using AVCHD lite. Meaning pana is a 720p video recorder and sony is 1080 one?

And as some ppl say. Sony will produce a better photo than panasonic?

Anyone can help in comment?

Thanks.

Sony HX5V has a very sweet function called Sweep Panaroma, it allows u to just sweep your camera left right or updown, and the camera will take 6 shots (I think) and then automatically stitch them together to create a panaroma shot. Of cos you can do the same thing using photoshop, but now Sony's HX5V does it for u in seconds, automatic.

Take a look at this thread for some sample shots
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666152

And the new version of pana mode in the HX5V works even when there's moving objects and humans.

Last edited:
Pro of Panasonic TZ10
1. High medapixel at 12mp and 12 x zoom. sony only 10mp and 10 x zoom

There's no big difference between 10MP and 12MP. Except in noise, where more is NOT better. 12MP from such a tiny sensor is just asking for image degradation.

As for the "zoom", it doesn't matter if the lens is not good.

so. the sony G len is better than the panasonic leica len?

so. the sony G len is better than the panasonic leica len?

Honestly, you can't tell just by the "branding". There are great and so-so lenses that have the same branding. The only real way to tell is by the reviews. So far though, both the Sony G lenses and the Panasonic Leicas have been very good. The Leicas tend to be a bit sharper (IF, and only IF, the sensor can actually resolve that well) and the G lenses have had excellent bokeh.

Ok. lenses apart.

now we talk about the sensor. WHich will be better? And which will give me a better picture?

Thanks.

Ok. lenses apart.

now we talk about the sensor. WHich will be better? And which will give me a better picture?

Thanks.

Sensor? Well, the newer Sony and panasonics have been quite good, but I'd need to give the edge to the new Sony sensor. Plus it has all the other bells and whistles (full HD video, etc).

As for "which will give me a better picture", that has less to do with the camera. Even if you have the best camera in the world, if you don't know what you're doing, the picture will still be bad.

Ok. lenses apart.

Thanks.

I would think the HX5 sensor is better in view of it's lower pixel density:

HX5 - 37 MP per sq cm

TZ10 - 52 MP per sq cm

So confirmed HX5 has the best high ISO when compared to TZ10 ?? and even better/comparable to EXR200 ???

I try looking at the takes in the links but its rather limited photos to conclude anything firm ... sommore i dont see muich review on HX5 atm

So confirmed HX5 has the best high ISO when compared to TZ10 ?? and even better/comparable to EXR200 ???

I try looking at the takes in the links but its rather limited photos to conclude anything firm ... sommore i dont see muich review on HX5 atm

Why is high ISO so important to you? If it is, I suggest a D700.

Hi, Is TZ10 available now because it does not appear to be in the recent IT show whereas HX5V can be seen at sony counter, though all available stock had been sold out. But, I managed to get one at Funan (basement floor) on last Sunday. Overall, TZ10 is still a good buy.

Why is high ISO so important to you? If it is, I suggest a D700.

errr... we talking PnS here and why is there any use for a recommendationof a full frame DSLR? or maybe there's a model call D700 for PnS ??

ISO is important to me becos theres really nothing much i can compare ... if u ask me, the IQ of TZ10, HZ5 or many similar ones are too close for me to be bothered, all has either 720p or 1080p video which is fine for me ...

i also like to take shots indoor without flash ... which is why ISO is important to me at least..

what's the pricing and package for the sony HX5V ?

:)

imo, if you're more into taking videos, the smaller resolution of the panasonic's video is compensated by it's way superior sound quality.

sound quality only matters if you're interested in taking live footage of music performances though. check out youtube for some examples!

this point is something reviews and comparisons don't emphasize, but since i'm getting a camera (not enough $ for a digicam) more for recording purposes, i did an intensive research on the TZ10 (since the TZ7 already had very good sound quality) and it's competitors. TZ10 i still top on my list for sound because there's the least distortion and most natural compression.

for low light still image wise, i think the sony beats the panasonic. it's not the matter of which can reach the highest iso, it's more of which has the lowest noise at higher iso w/o loss of details. clearly, the sony hx5v wins in this aspect.

Last edited:
Sony HX5V has sweep pano mode!