Contax RTS III users enquiry about LCD display

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuwen

Aug 11, 2004
Singapore, Woodlands
www.fuwen.net
Hi! I was looking at 2 used RTS III on National Day eve. One of the body the LCD totally black out, the other the light blue LCD contrast is so low that I cannot even see properly under in-door situation. I have checked with Ricohflex and apparently his bought new unit LCD is OK.

Is this a common problem for RTS III LCD after times? I do read about dim LCD in the net before but not sure when bought new will the LCD contrast be more acceptable.

Any body can share?

I used to own a 'used' RTS III years ago and never have I come across what you have describe.Suspect it's a lemon.Better stay far away from it.

fuwen said:
Hi! I was looking at 2 used RTS III on National Day eve. One of the body the LCD totally black out, the other the light blue LCD contrast is so low that I cannot even see properly under in-door situation. I have checked with Ricohflex and apparently his bought new unit LCD is OK.

Is this a common problem for RTS III LCD after times? I do read about dim LCD in the net before but not sure when bought new will the LCD contrast be more acceptable.

Any body can share?

Yup... unless it's been abused, the RTS III's known to be somewhat like the F5, can hantam till kopak kopak, and still can work... If the lcd blacked out,most often it's due to extreme temperature or impact damage to the camera... and hence, STAY AWAY!!!

:)

I love my rts III, and frankly think it's the best system that $ can buy today.

fuwen said:
I have checked with Ricohflex and apparently his bought new unit LCD is OK.

Any body can share?

Must have given wrong impression in Fuwen's phone call.
The truth is my RTS III was bought 2nd hand although "like new" very long ago. Quite high price too at that time. It has never malfunctioned.
Maybe owner wanted something else. Those were boom years and Leica M6 and Rolleiflex 6008 were hot.
The RTS III was launched in 1990.

Checked my RTS few days ago and there is no dimming or blacking out.
Some of the blue LCD background seems missing on the extreme right hand side. So that part just appears transparent i.e. no blue background.
Spend and aperture readout still there.

Just a little story:
Recall I brought it to BKK tour and another photobug also brought his.
So after breakfast we each took out the RTSIII and prepared the cameras for shooting.
We were going to shoot slides of the Grand Palace.
Maybe we loaded the film and minded our own business. I fitted the 25mm Distagon and my friend fitted his 18mm Distagon.
But an ang moh at nearby table was not happy and remarked to his wife that we (asians) were showing off.
Joke! it never occurred to us that the camera was something to boast about.
And we were not like waving the camera around or talking loudly or boorishly. (two of my Nikon using "friends" tended to do this with their Nikon F3 and also derided other people's cameras. Wonder where they learnt this obnoxious behaviour. Perhaps now after 20 years they have grown up.)
Maybe RTSIII is a big deal to ang mohs. Have no idea of that, though.
But I never reacted to the remark. My Chinese speaking friend did not catch the English remark. Just let the matter go.

I was a bit disappointed initially as this thread did not get any response. Thanks for all your inputs and at least now I feel more comfortable getting a used RTS III.

Status
Not open for further replies.