Contax C/Y Zeiss on Canon.. 50/1.7 or 50/1.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few years back, Popular Photography did a comprehensive shootout with many 50/1.4 lenses from the leading brands and the winner was none other than C/Y50/1.4 (which better than the R50/1.4 by a fair bit.) ;)

While one should read lens review with a pinch of salt, their claim at the least are backed with actual test data. OTOH, awfully sweeping statement like "50/1.4 is not good lens in C/Y lines" should only go to its rightful place: trash can. :thumbsd:

cocoa

Thanks a lot for the info, but how do i check whether it's MMG or not? Any indication on the lens itself?

Thanks a lot for the info, but how do i check whether it's MMG or not? Any indication on the lens itself?

AEG: indicated on lens made in Germany, aperture values on lens all in white, lens can only operate in AE mode.

AEJ: indicated on lens made in Japan, aperture values on lens all in white, lens can only operate in AE mode.

MMG: indicated on lens made in Germany, the smallest aperture value in green, the rest white, multi-mode operation.

MMJ: indicated on lens made in Japan, the smallest aperture value in green, the rest white, multi-mode operation.

There are many people believe that the Germany versions are better than the Japanese version, and the Germany versions fetch higher price. But personally I beleive that for most practical purposes one can hardly tell the differences, assuming all the lenses are in original state and has not been dismentled for servicing before.

I have samples photos of the Zeiss lenses I used on my website, but I did not indicate German/Japan version.

Status
Not open for further replies.