Contact Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Hi folks,

I think some of you folks might be wearing contact lenses when shooting.

Just want to inquire about the probability of miscueing the shots and seeing them as OOF thru the viewfinder.

I used to put on contacts as I go sports and such (hey, this is not related to my nick) I notice that it's not too clear when I attempt to see further as compared with my glasses. I found out that when your glasses are at 500 deg (for example), the contact lenses will be fitted with -25 to -50 as the distance between your eyes to the lenses are shortened.

Close viewing within a few metres has no difference and it's just as clear though.

I'm asking this is because when shooting I tend to perspire a lot and the perspiration normally gets on my nerves when it drips to my glasses and I need to remove my glasses, wipe it, wipe my perspiration and put it back on.

Was thinking to get some daily contact lenses for usage as such, but afraid that as I see through the viewfinder, my image might appear OOF to me, so just wondering any contact lens users can comment?

Want to find out before I spend some cash on contact lenses. :)

I wear contact lens for many years. Mine is custom ordered and made to fit my eye balls and eye sights. When you see the "proper" optician, tell him (or her, mine is a very pretty one) that what you intend to see & read with contact lens, he will make adjustment and prescribe a pair for you.

Alternatively, you can try those glass which is very slim and small frame, this way your perspiration will not drop on the glass, but onto somewhere else, probably on your face. :D

my contacts are prescribed too as they are toric. but what i do also is to push my camera's in+built diopter to -2.5

IMHO ..... its not advisable to keep switching between specs and contacts. Both will defer slightly since the accuracy is almost always based on your own judgement when at a optician. They test your eyes then fit with dummy specs to get the right angle and stuff and you are always the one who is judging whats clear and what's not.

I've been on contacts (prescribed due to estigma) for donkey years. It gets clearer with time, when your eyes gets used to them. Specs degree value changes when they fall off your nose bridge (due to focusing distance between your eyes and the lens), that is probably why people on specs have varying 'power' over the years while those on contacts have a more constant non changing degree.

My answer to you is that it gets some getting used to. When you get a correctly prescribed set, things will be as clear and even clearer than on specs. Urmz.... infinity is still infinity, either on specs or contacts. hehe. So don't try to squint when looking at something far. With everythingwithin range, no OOF will happen.

PS: Good thing about contacts is that you can cup your whole eys and no stray lights will go into your viewfinder. Quite a big difference.

:D

HelmetBox said:
PS: Good thing about contacts is that you can cup your whole eys and no stray lights will go into your viewfinder. Quite a big difference.

and not to mention a goodbye to the days of spec wiping after you taken a shot.

PS. contacts are not good enough for office environment. dries out very easily. i wear my specs to work.

mervlam said:
and not to mention a goodbye to the days of spec wiping after you taken a shot.

PS. contacts are not good enough for office environment. dries out very easily. i wear my specs to work.

actually it depends on individuals. Some peoplez eyes can breath better than others when on contacts. Your brand and type also matters.

I've been on contacts for office jobs, pup jobs with smoke and all and stuff and even tried having them on for days and they have never went dried on me. But as permanent lenses, when their age grows older or you never maintain them, they can't breath as well and your eyes dry up easier.

In my experience, contacts are better, whether custom-made or daily disposable than specs. - more clarity, sharper image and less distortion. Specs. with high degrees make everything look smaller, and slimmer (beware when trying out clothes at shops). :bsmilie:

The only distortion I can't control is slight astimatism which makes the right side of subjects a bit "protruding" like a "D" (including my own shape in the mirror) - wonder if anyone has this experience or is it my imagination... hahaa... :dunno:

Thanks guys for the replies, like what helmetbox mentioned, I do have an eyecup attached to my webcam, so I was wondering if contacts (daily disposable, buy-off-shelf-type) would cause me to not focus clearly as I'm looking through the viewfinder and I notice that from past experience, my disposables are my glasses' degree -25.

I'm not going to make a pair of contacts for sure, but was looking at temporary solutions like disposables during important shoots to save myself the trouble of wiping my glasses. I do like contacts like ghilbi mentioned, things start looking BIGGER than normal, I love to look at my laptop's screen wearing contacts, 14" just seems... so... BIG :)

Astin, care to introduce that pretty optician of yours? :D

espn said:
Astin, care to introduce that pretty optician of yours? :D

Pretty optician? :bigeyes:

tme to shop hop....... heheheheeeeeeeeee :D

HelmetBox said:
Pretty optician? :bigeyes:

tme to shop hop....... heheheheeeeeeeeee :D

buayaz :rolleyes:

To Astin: pssst.... where's the optical shop ar?

Hey you guys do know that when you walk into a optician room, you are supposed to:
(a) take off your glasses so you cannot see clearly
(b) focus your eyes on all the funny alphabets and not the optician

Oh I don't, I'm used to my right eye for BTP/ATP and looking thru the viewfinder, if like what most of the folks mentioned here that I won't miscue, then I'll go with contacts ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.