Consumer vs professional films

Status
Not open for further replies.

ming76

Mar 19, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
I like to hear comments on is there any advantage/differences on consumer and professional films. except for the price difference, does the pro films score better in terms of quality(colour, grain, constrast etc)??

e.g. Kodak Gold 100 vs Kodak Portra 100..

although some are formulated to give different responses across different diffreent parts of the color spectrum, often, the difference between pro and consumer film is the batch freshness with the pro film being a newer batch to yield more consistent results....thus some are exactly the same emulsion....hehehehehe!

Fuji 200 is good enough. If one really wants better pic then Kodak Portra 160 is better but I see a subtle difference. Quality of pic boils down to the photographer.

Originally posted by GitS
although some are formulated to give different responses across different diffreent parts of the color spectrum, often, the difference between pro and consumer film is the batch freshness with the pro film being a newer batch to yield more consistent results....thus some are exactly the same emulsion....hehehehehe!
so u are saying actually there is not much difference in the quality if u can get the consumer films that are "fresh" enough...

i suspect this is the case for some films that have a direct professionsl/prosumer counterparts....

I find professional film tend to be finer grain, less contrasty(good for normal portraits and night scenes) and have less tolerant exposure latitude.

i would suppose consumer film is SUPER-HIGHLY-FAST-COST-EFFICIENT mass-produced.... of course with a certain amount of quality control...

professional films are produced under different conditions...

In some cases where a film is available in both a consumer and professional grade the difference is in the film aging qualities. That is the professional film is kept under strict temperature and humidity tolerances to ensure that the film has minimal roll to roll varience.

As for contrast and saturation levels as mentioned by a poster above. Those vary with the intended use of the emulsion.

Originally posted by Ian
In some cases where a film is available in both a consumer and professional grade the difference is in the film aging qualities. That is the professional film is kept under strict temperature and humidity tolerances to ensure that the film has minimal roll to roll varience.

As for contrast and saturation levels as mentioned by a poster above. Those vary with the intended use of the emulsion.

Yups, I was comparing Kodak Gold 100 with Portra 160VC.

Status
Not open for further replies.