constant aperture?

theandycreation

Sep 13, 2011
Hi all,

Anyone here using nikon 24-70 2.8 Or tokina 24-70 2.6? As I intended to get one of those, but I need to know if lets say one of the len I mentioned above, I zoom it to the max focal length, will the aperture still remain at the smallest f number eg:2.8/2.6?

Andy

Yes.. since its constant. Aperture will still be the same. Then its up to you whether to stop down or not.
Unlike those eg 3.5-5.6 kind of lenses.

theandycreation said:
Hi all,

Anyone here using nikon 24-70 2.8 Or tokina 24-70 2.6? As I intended to get one of those, but I need to know if lets say one of the len I mentioned above, I zoom it to the max focal length, will the aperture still remain at the smallest f number eg:2.8/2.6?

Andy

Yes of course, no matter if it's at 24mm or 70mm, the widest aperture will be f2.8

yup constant, so go BBB a nikon 24-70 :devil:

yes constant.
you might want to rent it for a day or two first to try out, before blowing 2k on it, if you aren't too sure/not familiar with it :)

Wow. Thanks to all responds. Appreciated.

The tokina comes in many many versions. Only 2 versions are worth looking at. You can read more about the Tokina 28-70 here, which also comes with some comparison pics to the nikon 28-70

NIKON GLASS: Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8

The current nikon 24-70 is much sharper than the Tokina wide open. But with a little sharpening and contrast adjustment in PP, the Tokina can still yield awesome results, and is very value for money. The Tokina pro I and pro II versions should be selling around $350-$400. Anything more than $400, it makes more sense to go for the Tamron 28-75, which is much sharper.

Here is a comparison shot I took with a Nikon 24-70 and a Tamron 28-75. Can you guess which pic is taken by which lens? Both are 100% centre crop, straight out of camera JPEG.

7111557283_fbec50aa37_c.jpg

Last edited:
daredevil123 said:
The tokina comes in many many versions. Only 2 versions are worth looking at. You can read more about the Tokina 28-70 here, which also comes with some comparison pics to the nikon 28-70

NIKON GLASS: Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8

The current nikon 24-70 is much sharper than the Tokina wide open. But with a little sharpening and contrast adjustment in PP, the Tokina can still yield awesome results, and is very value for money. The Tokina pro I and pro II versions should be selling around $350-$400. Anything more than $400, it makes more sense to go for the Tamron 28-75, which is much sharper.

Here is a comparison shot I took with a Nikon 24-70 and a Tamron 28-75. Can you guess which pic is taken by which lens? Both are 100% centre crop, straight out of camera JPEG.

Hey thanks man. So where in sg do sell the tokina lens? Btw, the picture u posted, for me, both quality are fine with me. Nice.

theandycreation said:
Hey thanks man. So where in sg do sell the tokina lens? Btw, the picture u posted, for me, both quality are fine with me. Nice.

The lens is not in production anymore, you have to search on the BnS

catchlights said:
The Tokina lens is a copy of Angenieux 28-70 f2.8, if you happen to came across this lens, grab one.

Angenieux AF28-70 f2.6.

Legendary lens.

the Af is a'lil noisy.

From f4 onwds, v sharp.
However, yet to try on d800e, thus how it measures up the latest high mp monster is still unknown.

The Tokina lens is a copy of Angenieux 28-70 f2.8, if you happen to came across this lens, grab one.

Ben only the pro I and pro II F2.6-F2.8 are Angenieux formula.. the rest are not, and are much more inferior...

It is already discontinued for many many years. You can try to hunt for the lenses in 2nd hand shops (like those in Peninsular) or look for them in BnS section of this forum. I came by a couple of copies for sale, but decided against them at those points in time.

Seriously, if you have a budget constrait, just go for the Tamron 28-75/2.8 which cost around $560 brand new with 3 year warranty, or a used one for around 380-480 depending on condition. Or you can wait for the soon-to-arrive Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC which should cost around 900-1100... Because the Tokinas are not easy to come by.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. Appreciated.

Tokinas aren't quite in the same league, formulaic or not. The original Angenieuxs were made to complete the Leitz, so Tokina = Leitz??????

Sigma 24-70 hsm is quite a steal if u dun use f2.8 often, at f4 it is very good at all focal len. At 24mm f2.8, it beats my nikon afd 24mm 2.8

U may like to try it out, sometimes dun trust len reviewer too much, too scientific result may not be applicable for everyday real world shooting. Of course i am speaking from a poor man point of view .. if u can afford nikon original lens, then go for it.