Consolidated NKF Thread

After reading this, will you still donate to NKF?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gymrat76 said:
Got Mrs Goh Chok Tong as the patron of NKF, what do they have to fear?
Er........Mr Lee's wife? :bsmilie:

hmmmm now i feel so cheated... many years ago sell flags for them they oni gimme 1 dollar..... somemore school teachers force us to put that dollar into the can... :thumbsd:

idor said:
hmmmm now i feel so cheated... many years ago sell flags for them they oni gimme 1 dollar..... somemore school teachers force us to put that dollar into the can... :thumbsd:
Don't worry, you still had done a good thing isn't it? This whole thing won't change that............

HS

It's a shame if the outcome of this whole episode is that the needy suffer from a drop in donations. I guess the critical issue here is accountability, which is rather opaque for charities here in Singapore

It would be nice to know how much did the CEO donate his money/salary into charities though.

There was a report in New paper about some charity and making ends meet but still have to pay for GST incurred. Maybe Mr DUrai would be kind enough to donate his bonus to help them .... hmm ... maybe not ... anyway ..... "what is 1.8 million when he can get 10 over million just from the show alone. U all too stingy liao lah ...." Should pay more of the donation to the CEO ! kekeke

how many of each L lens can that amount of $ buy? ;p :bsmilie:

luckily i had stop donating to nkf 5-7yrs back, after learning about thier pay, bonus, travel pattern & allowance.

very doubtful that they will reveal the whole truth & nothing but the truth.

as with the case with Mr Ong on the nation reserve.

Quick, everybody, pull out your donations NOW! Too bad if the kidney patients SUFFER or DIE (who asked them to get kidney disease in the first place), we MUST show these GREEDY CEOs a thing or two! Its a matter of PRINCIPLE. All those TV stars who continue to donate their time, they must ALL be real SUCKERS right? :sticktong

Folk on this forum saving up for 1DM2's and D2x's, not batting an eyelid when buying $2000 lenses, begrudging a few hundred bucks to help some kidney patients, on a matter of principle?? Puh-leeez.......

Why does it surprise anybody that the NKF, the behemoth that it is, is run like a commercial concern, with well paid staff, bonuses and the like? Why does that influence you in any way in deciding whether or not to donate time/money? Prior to the formation of the NKF, most end-stage renal patients died quickly due to lack of access to dialysis, now most DO have access. If those results don't speak for themselves then what does? So what if they adopt hard-sell tactics? Is everybody so thin-skinned that your sensibilities are insulted? They are in the business of saving lives, if I were them I couldn't care less if you were offended by in-your-face charity drives.

Sorry if I'm being brusque, I find this whinging really pathetic.

code said:
It's a shame if the outcome of this whole episode is that the needy suffer from a drop in donations. I guess the critical issue here is accountability, which is rather opaque for charities here in Singapore
Why worry? You can donate to Kidney Dialysis Foundation who have been around helping for many years in silence.

ST did an article on the Charities in Singapore on efficiency of the donated dollars. Out of a dollars how many cents were actually spend on the needy. NKF fared one of the worst. Out of a dollar, only 2-3cents went to the kidney patients. Alot went to the big budget shows, employees, etc. KDF fared much better at 5-7cents per dollars.

kind of make me wonder the real intention of combining the 2 tv station that we once had :think:

Hommie said:
Why worry? You can donate to Kidney Dialysis Foundation who have been around helping for many years in silence.

ST did an article on the Charities in Singapore on efficiency of the donated dollars. Out of a dollars how many cents were actually spend on the needy. NKF fared one of the worst. Out of a dollar, only 2-3cents went to the kidney patients. Alot went to the big budget shows, employees, etc. KDF fared much better at 5-7cents per dollars.

Hmm isn't it a requirement that only 30% of the funds earned can go to cover admin?

in bad econ time, gov keep telling people that while we have to keep our salery down to maintain compartative, do away with the bonus and increament. the better off one should still take care of those less fortunate cause they shouldnt want to have to bear the cost as that will means increase in income tax, what happen???

dkw said:
They are in the business of saving lives, if I were them I couldn't care less if you were offended by in-your-face charity drives.

As a discerning citizen, I would like to have as much as my donation dollars go into helping the needy. I will very much continue donating to them if they are clear in their mission of saving lives, but unfortunately they have portrayed themselves otherwise (through public media reports and accounts I hear from personal friends who were ex-employees of NKF).

I'm not saying that NKF's CEO and top-men are to be treated worse than any other CEOs in the private sector, but as a public donor, I feel that my donation dollars are being mishandled. They are not making themselves accountable to their donors.

If we blindly continue supporting NKF and not care so much about how the money is used, how can we be sure that the money is not being mishandled in other areas? There needs to be a system of checks and balances in every organisation, especially in this case where we trust an organisation to be fair and shrewd in using the donation dollars.

And as Hommie has pointed out, there are other charity organisations to put our donation dollars to.

hongsien said:
What is this case between Durai and SPH about? I am in HK, and didn't follow this case when I was in SG.......

I still believe your donations are put to good use, just look at the numerous NKF centers.......don't let the patients suffer becuae of this. Offcourse, they should manage it differently if there is reason to......

Hong Sien

some food for thought...if our donations are being put to good use..ie. helping the needy patients, then who is paying the ceo 12 months bonus? :think:

dkw said:
Quick, everybody, pull out your donations NOW! Too bad if the kidney patients SUFFER or DIE (who asked them to get kidney disease in the first place), we MUST show these GREEDY CEOs a thing or two! Its a matter of PRINCIPLE. All those TV stars who continue to donate their time, they must ALL be real SUCKERS right? :sticktong

Folk on this forum saving up for 1DM2's and D2x's, not batting an eyelid when buying $2000 lenses, begrudging a few hundred bucks to help some kidney patients, on a matter of principle?? Puh-leeez.......

Why does it surprise anybody that the NKF, the behemoth that it is, is run like a commercial concern, with well paid staff, bonuses and the like? Why does that influence you in any way in deciding whether or not to donate time/money? Prior to the formation of the NKF, most end-stage renal patients died quickly due to lack of access to dialysis, now most DO have access. If those results don't speak for themselves then what does? So what if they adopt hard-sell tactics? Is everybody so thin-skinned that your sensibilities are insulted? They are in the business of saving lives, if I were them I couldn't care less if you were offended by in-your-face charity drives.

I dun really call it whining .... if it's a 6 month bonus , fine with me , but I don't really see the need of a 12 month bonus when everyone is getting their pay cut here and there , annual increment dead frozen , medical benefits cut . If that's the case , no offence intended , shouldn't our garment minister be getting a 5 years bonus , considering the effect of thier work done affecting the 4 million population of Singapore and the fact that they are bringing the economy back to life.

I believe the concern here is that the 12 month bonus he recieved for his 'outstanding' work came from people's kind donation. I mean if it's a financial institution , fine ! but from a 'charity organisation' ....... hmmm ..... ponder ponder ...

madmacs said:
some food for thought...if our donations are being put to good use..ie. helping the needy patients, then who is paying the ceo 12 months bonus? :think:

Well, since NKF's revenue is 100% from public donations, who else? As for dkw's comments, all I can say is that if I donate to a CHARITY, I don't expect the CEO of that charity to be awarded 12 months bonus, not including the fact that he has a $25k monthly salary and lavish travel and sanitary appliances.

Nobody's advocating letting kidney patients suffer, but as pointed out, there are many other charities out there that are not as publicised and as such, below the radar. Its much easier to dial a number on screen (and hope to win something!) than to write out a cheque and mail it rite? :confused:

And from your tone, I have to ask: Do you by any chance work for NKF? :think:

Gymrat76 said:
SINGAPORE : The National Kidney Foundation's (NKF) defamation suit against the Singapore Press Holdings has opened in the High Court.

The case centres around an article in the Straits Times published on 19 April 2004 entitled "The NKF Controversially ahead of its time".

And first to take the stand was the NKF's CEO, TT Durai who made some startling revelations during cross examination by SPH's Senior Counsel Davinder Singh.

The article in question was written by SPH's journalist Susan Long, whom NKF is also suing.

It had an account of a contractor who had been hired to install some bathroom fittings for its new headquarters in 1995.

NKF says the article had many falsehoods and half truths. But Monday's hearing was more than just about toilet fittings.

It was a public scrutiny of how the NKF is administered and run, the travel patterns of its senior executives and the chief executive officer, and what salaries were paid to the CEO in the last three years.

The court heard that CEO Durai got a twelve month bonus last year. And between 2002 and 2004, he would have earned close to S$1.8 million.

From the outset, Senior Counsel Davinder Singh who is acting for SPH, emphasized the importance of transparency and public accountability on NKF's part as every cent which NKF spent came from public donations.

Several senior officials from NKF were in court to follow the proceedings, including its patron Mrs Goh Chok Tong.

- CNA /ls

Taken from: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/157420/1/.html

amazed.gif
eyes poppingshocked.gif
eyespop.gif
faint2.gif
scared.gif

Thk God I never donate to NKF, due to the many romours heard in the past...

Status
Not open for further replies.