Consolidated NKF Thread

After reading this, will you still donate to NKF?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, they need volunteers. hehe!

yzr500abe said:
I don't know how much a CEO will earn...but i will place it at 8-10K range.
Assuming 8k per month, bonus alone will be 96k...total takings for december 104K.

NKF need anymore ppl to work?....i can... :D

Ever since there was another report that NKF had multi-million reserves, I've stopped supporting NKF through it's charity shows (I don't feel comfortable on their way of attracting donations by making the whole campaign a big lucky draw anyway).

No doubt its patients shouldn't suffer because of this and other reports, but I'm sure there are other charity organisations that we can give our money to...and knowing that our money meant to help the needy are properly managed.

i wonder how much will be revealed in this case??? will all the beans be spilled out?? afterall, it has some serious consequences

I've already long ago stopped donating to NKF. Everytime I see NKF, I off the TV and/or just avoid those flag sellers.

SINGAPORE : The National Kidney Foundation's (NKF) defamation suit against the Singapore Press Holdings has opened in the High Court.

The case centres around an article in the Straits Times published on 19 April 2004 entitled "The NKF Controversially ahead of its time".

And first to take the stand was the NKF's CEO, TT Durai who made some startling revelations during cross examination by SPH's Senior Counsel Davinder Singh.

The article in question was written by SPH's journalist Susan Long, whom NKF is also suing.

It had an account of a contractor who had been hired to install some bathroom fittings for its new headquarters in 1995.

NKF says the article had many falsehoods and half truths. But Monday's hearing was more than just about toilet fittings.

It was a public scrutiny of how the NKF is administered and run, the travel patterns of its senior executives and the chief executive officer, and what salaries were paid to the CEO in the last three years.

The court heard that CEO Durai got a twelve month bonus last year. And between 2002 and 2004, he would have earned close to S$1.8 million.

From the outset, Senior Counsel Davinder Singh who is acting for SPH, emphasized the importance of transparency and public accountability on NKF's part as every cent which NKF spent came from public donations.

Several senior officials from NKF were in court to follow the proceedings, including its patron Mrs Goh Chok Tong.

- CNA /ls

Taken from: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/157420/1/.html

wonder if tt durai is still the ceo of nkf?

I'm so numb to this.
Rather i'm hooked to the NKF show...rather amused at the performances...everyone is trying to make their act look so cool, tough, dangerous.

Btw i'm not their supporter...though i don't mind working for them... 6 months bonus can liao :D

I'm so glad I've never donated a single cent to NKF. Something about them just didn't feel right, and I'm glad I didn't. Just contributing to his bonus......pui!!

Disgusting is all I can say, especially when you see charities and organisations helping the needy, where that amount would cover their costs for ten years with enough to spare.

Its really outrageous... even though I'm not Singaporean and have never donated a single cent to NKF, I'm really shocked by this revelation... 12 bloody months.. since he's the CEO of a charitable organization, why not put that bonus into sponsoring more dialysis patients? Or setting up more dialysis centres? Instead, all go into extravagant travel benefits and toilet fittings, not to mention over inflated salaries and bonuses!! ;(

now you can imagine how much of the $6mil donated yesterday with NKF charity show goes into other peoples' pocket instead of those needy

and now you know why the upper management of these charity organisations were rumoured to drive big cars?

Lets do more donations of money/food/ emotional support to the dialysis patients instead.

In fact in Singapore there are some "third parties" who organise charity events in aid of charity organisations but instead of handing over all proceeds to the charity organisation they hand over the target amt to the organisation while pocketing the rest. After learning that, i make sure i make a direct donation to the organisation instead.

swampthing said:
Disgusting is all I can say, especially when you see charities and organisations helping the needy, where that amount would cover their costs for ten years with enough to spare.

to be fair to all charity agencies, they should try to raise as much as possible, so long as the means are ethical. but for nkf to amass such huge amounts in reserve and get poor sick people on tv who dont know better to pull at our heart strings and then say that these people dont have enough. that's just obscene.

how can anyone misappropriately use the money donated by the public and not feel guilty. money meant specifically to help patients. and instead spent in such a decadent fashion on - of all things - bathroom fittings. a TWELVE month bonus! :dunno:

that man's conscience is as empty as the donation card forced upon me. :sticktong

Because of all these issues I had stop donating already...except to the redcross to aid the tsunami victims

I think he earn a lot, but never though of he earn so much from charity money.
From STI
July 11, 2005
NKF CEO earned S$1.8m over past three years

By Bertha Henson

A CLOSELY-GUARDED secret of the National Kidney Foundation was finally made public on Monday: the salary of its chief executive Mr T.T. Durai.

On Day 1 of NKF's defamation suit against Singapore Press Holdings, it was revealed that on top of his S$25,000 a month salary, Mr Durai also received 10 to 12 months in yearly bonuses. That makes his annual salary between S$550,000 and S$600,000, or S$1.8 million in total, over the past three years.

The NKF, which is entirely dependent on public funds, offers dialysis treatment to kidney patients.

It is taking issue with an article published in The Straits Times by senior correspondent Susan Long on April 19 last year headlined 'The NKF: Controversially ahead of its time?'.

The NKF and Mr Durai contend that the words in the article had damaged their reputation by implying that donors' funds were being misused.

The article stated that a gold-plated tap had been installed and later replaced in the private bathroom in Mr Durai's office suite.

During the hearing before Justice Tan Lee Meng, Senior Counsel Davinder Singh, acting for SPH, sought to show that the NKF was neither honest nor transparent about the way it uses donors' funds.

He told the court he had to ask the NKF three times, including twice through the courts, to have the salary of its CEO made public.

Mr Durai, represented by Senior Counsel Michael Khoo, argued that he was not required by law to tell the public what he earned. Also, he wanted to protect his personal privacy, he said.

Under questioning on Monday, he also admitted that he had flown First Class on some airlines, even though the NKF had maintained consistently that none of its executives flew First Class and had threatened to sue people who said Mr Durai did so.

His explanation: The NKF Board allowed this as long as he did not bust the Singapore Airlines Business Class rate.

Mr Singh countered: 'Isn't it your duty as a trustee of people's monies to make sure that you get best value on a business class seat instead of deploying this clever device... using it for First Class on another plane?'

Mr Durai replied: 'This is a decision made by the board. I used the entitlement.'

For the full story, see Tuesday's edition of The Straits Times.

No big suprise here. NKF is at the very top of my never-donate-to list. Aprt from the points already raised, its frequent donation drives forcing schoolchildren to raise funds via donation cards is vile, many children who try to return empty cards are forced to take them back until they raise a minimum amount. I know this through some schoolteachers and parents. And just how many times a year does it need to do fund raising? Why is a KIDNEY foundation raising funds for cancer when we already have a Singapore Cancer Society? So many questions, few straight answers. :dunno:

One of the suggestion for the garment to improve on the law governing the charity organisation is to make known to the public of the salaries of top three position in the organisation. NKF was very vocal on this issue, claiming that exposing the salaries of their top three does little to improve its organisation. Garment obviously didn't take that suggestion.

Another is the yearly audit.

av98m said:
No big suprise here. NKF is at the very top of my never-donate-to list. Aprt from the points already raised, its frequent donation drives forcing schoolchildren to raise funds via donation cards is vile, many children who try to return empty cards are forced to take them back until they raise a minimum amount. I know this through some schoolteachers and parents. And just how many times a year does it need to do fund raising? Why is a KIDNEY foundation raising funds for cancer when we already have a Singapore Cancer Society? So many questions, few straight answers. :dunno:

Simple, to get a bigger slice of the donation pie... :angry:

Hommie said:
One of the suggestion for the garment to improve on the law governing the charity organisation is to make known to the public of the salaries of top three position in the organisation. NKF was very vocal on this issue, claiming that exposing the salaries of their top three does little to improve its organisation. Garment obviously didn't take that suggestion.

Another is the yearly audit.

Got Mrs Goh Chok Tong as the patron of NKF, what do they have to fear?

Status
Not open for further replies.