considering to switch to film and sell off my dslr for a slr

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORENJI-FOY

Jul 13, 2009
i own a second hand nikon d200. i got it last year but after trying out both film and digital, i felt that i am more interested to do film instead. but due to financial constrain... it will take me awhile to save up enough money to get a second hand slr. so i was thinking of selling my d200 and use the money to get a slr and film scanner and some other lenses. but i cannot decide whether keeping my dslr or selling it . for me dslr is kinda like to help me learn and practice photography as it would be cheaper compared to film. but i wanna do film and i find it more interesting. so the question now is to sell or not to sell. if i dun sell i will have to wait and work to save up money for the slr. but if i sell my camera i will be able to get the money faster... in a way.

so advice please!!! thanks! :D

i own a second hand nikon d200. i got it last year but after trying out both film and digital, i felt that i am more interested to do film instead. but due to financial constrain... it will take me awhile to save up enough money to get a second hand slr. so i was thinking of selling my d200 and use the money to get a slr and film scanner and some other lenses. but i cannot decide whether keeping my dslr or selling it . for me dslr is kinda like to help me learn and practice photography as it would be cheaper compared to film. but i wanna do film and i find it more interesting. so the question now is to sell or not to sell. if i dun sell i will have to wait and work to save up money for the slr. but if i sell my camera i will be able to get the money faster... in a way.

dun sell.

get a cheap slr nikon system that will accept ur current set of lenses.

developing films are not cheap. chemicals are pretty expensive... i suggest u keep ur d200 with u, and just get an slr to shoot as a hobby. ur dslr will come in more handy compared to film.

if u really wanna face the suspense of slrs cause u cant preview, just gaffertape ur preview screen.

One question: what makes you want to go film instead if digital?

don't.
I have film slrs. too many.
they are good.

the biggest thing that bugs you after a while is the huge amount of money you spend on processing film and printing them out and in the process making the photo lab owners extremely rich. But they don't really take care of your negtaives, slides or photo prints.

Hello, ORENJI-FOY.
You must have your reasons for wanting to go to film.
I also understand the budget constrain that you are talking about.
Somehow, in my opinion, in this modern world, it is still important to have a digital camera for the ease of use, to be able to simply transfer your photos onto the computer and the web. Plus the fact that your D200 may not fetch too high a price, I would sincerely advise keeping it and get a cheap second hand film SLR. This is readily available in many shops at bargain prices.

i don't understand, why do you want to switch to film fulltime?

what's wrong with doing both?

there are many cheap old SLRs out there y u need to sell your d200? especially for nikon, you can use a lot of non G lenses for both film and digital

Don't sell, some good 2nd hand SLR cost less than S$100.

Don't sell, some good 2nd hand SLR cost less than S$100.

really? the price i check range from 200(cheapest) to 300 to 400 plus. where do you find those that are less then 100?

One question: what makes you want to go film instead if digital?

for film is for both the color and image. plus it feels better for me in the sense that there are hard copies of ur picture(both the negatives and prints). i mean you can hold them in ur hands and u know its there... but for digital...

i did Polaroid and some lomo shooting for a while and kinda got hook to it. i really want to explore into film. i mean there are things to explore is digital but it just not for me. i prefer film. haha that's just me. :D

Hello, ORENJI-FOY.
You must have your reasons for wanting to go to film.
Plus the fact that your D200 may not fetch too high a price, I would sincerely advise keeping it and get a cheap second hand film SLR.

i thought of that too... so i was kinda thinking of just keeping it and try to save for an slr.
but money is really an issue here for me. :(
guess i just have to be patient and wait :) haha
thanks btw

i don't understand, why do you want to switch to film fulltime?

what's wrong with doing both?

erm, i not switching to film fulltime. i want to sell my dslr to get money... u can say i am desperate. but selling it is one of the options i can think of. if not i am just gg to have to wait and save up.

another reason is that i want to switch to canon dslrs. i like nikon film camera but for digital i prefer canon's dslr. and since most of my friends are canon user it would be easier for me to borrow lenses.

btw, i am aimig for a nikon fm2. but so far i am still saving. any suggestion of film cameras or shops that i can get them at cheaper prices?

FM10s can easily be bought at around $150 at Buy & Sell.

I really suggest that you get a Canon film camera if you want to go Canon digital. Supporting two systems is expensive.

really? the price i check range from 200(cheapest) to 300 to 400 plus. where do you find those that are less then 100?

A working condition Nikon F-801s will cost around $80, saw a few pieces at TCW.

erm, i not switching to film fulltime. i want to sell my dslr to get money... u can say i am desperate. but selling it is one of the options i can think of. if not i am just gg to have to wait and save up.

nah, just wait and save up.

by selling, if you buy back again eventually you are actually losing money.

Desperate as in short of money? Then I'll be blunt and suggest that maybe cut down on spending for photography, it is no matter what, just a hobby after all. Other things should take priorities.

Flim SLR are not expensive..
Don't sell your DSLR yet.. Just get another film SLR.. ;)

don't.
I have film slrs. too many.
they are good.

the biggest thing that bugs you after a while is the huge amount of money you spend on processing film and printing them out and in the process making the photo lab owners extremely rich. But they don't really take care of your negtaives, slides or photo prints.

yeah. i think just need to find labs that u can really entrust ur negatives and slides to lo.

Flim SLR are not expensive..
Don't sell your DSLR yet.. Just get another film SLR.. ;)

need money oso mah. but price range for the model i am looking for is quite high. so gotta wait and save up if i dun sell mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.