Considering Gitzo GT2542L - Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HougangMan

May 31, 2005
Anyone with comments on this tripod? Head recommendations are welcome as well! Thanks.

Upgrading from Manfrotto 3021B Pro and 488RC2 ballhead

Anyone with comments on this tripod? Head recommendations are welcome as well! Thanks.

Upgrading from Manfrotto 3021B Pro and 488RC2 ballhead

U will not go wrong with GITZO tripod for the BH you may want to look at Markins.

BTW.. Very impressive Gears List you have there..!!!!

Last edited:
Was contemplating the M10 ballhead but now unsure after hearing issues about the panning lock. Thinking maybe RRS would be also a good choice...anyone with feedback on RRS ballheads?

Last edited:
Was contemplating the M10 ballhead but now unsure after hearing issues about the panning lock. Thinking maybe RRS would be also a good choice...anyone with feedback on RSS ballheads?

RRS is also a good ball head...
But Markins is lighter compare to RRS...

Before I got my Q3 Markins, I also looking at RRS but the weight BH turn me off.
If you dont mind of the weight RRS is a good BH too.

Anyway what is your budget?

I do a lot of landscapes when I get the chance to go out and shoot, so no qualms buying a hi-quality setup. My current one has served me well, but I know its limitations. Prepared to drop ard 1k for the legs and another 600 or so for a BH

Hi, I have this tripod with a Markins Q3 head. This is a very good buy. It's worth every cent. Very sturdy and lightweight. Suggest that you go for the Markins head as well - if you have a carbon fibre lightweight tripod, then Q3 makes sense rather than buying a heavy ballhead that negates the weight advantage of the Gitzo.

The damage to the wallet is momentarily painful though...but very soon you start forgetting about that when you start to shoot.

Good luck.

Quite tempting to go get the Markins. Does the Q3 have a loose panning lock like the M series?

How about the arcatech GP?

I thought about the possibility of the Acratechs for a while, their appeal is their light weight. But their looks are BLEH...for that kind of money I'm going for both form and functionality

What I dont like abt Markins is the Panning lock knob is doesn't really lock very tight.
But other than that is a very good BH..

What I dont like abt Markins is the Panning lock knob is doesn't really lock very tight.
But other than that is a very good BH..

That what I'm hearing from reviews on Markins BHs - is it firm enough when locked down though? Or when they say loose, they mean that you can still shift the panning when everything is secured?

Also, I just read about Photo Clam ballheads...

I have the markins Q3 head, the panning lock knob works fine and firm... i did not force it to pan though.

Thanks for the input guys. Markins it is.

Now wondering if a Q3 or M10 will do the job. Current longest lens is 70-200 2.8, but not excluding the possibility of 300 or + in the future...in the fairly DISTANT future

Thanks for the input guys. Markins it is.

Now wondering if a Q3 or M10 will do the job. Current longest lens is 70-200 2.8, but not excluding the possibility of 300 or + in the future...in the fairly DISTANT future

I think Q3 will suffice. But to be sure, you may like to check Markins website on the weight limit of each. Take note that there is a difference between the horizontal (landscape) weight limit and when the camera is tilted to a vertical (portrait) format.

Last thing...

You'll need to factor in the cost of the plates for Markins. It differs between different camera bodies and lenses (i.e. for those super telezoom lenses that have a ring holder). The plates will further damage your wallet. You probably can get OEM plates...but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the consultation fellas; here's the rundown:

Gitzo GT2542L legs $1032
Markins M10 ballhead $540
Markins universal camera plate $80
Wimberley P20 lens plate $125

Cathay photo smiling all the way to the bank!

Congrat with ur new set up..... :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.