Consider if the 350D matches my needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukebluedevil

Jan 30, 2007
Hi,

I will be going to Europe/US for a trip for 2 months and I wish to take great photos while over there. Problem is, I'm a newbie at DSLR but I have researched about the benefits about DSLR and convinced its the way to go.

so the most popular recommendation for a beginner DSLR from CS is the Nikon D40 since its a relatively cheap camera that takes great pictures. However, I know myself and I will the need the autofocus function and apparently the Nikon AF-S lens will add great cost.

Enter the 350D. Its almost 2 years old since it came out. But it seems to meet my needs at my budget(esp second hand). Faster camera (impt to me because I see myself taking pictures of sports events). So...

Is there any other camera that matches the 350D for my needs and budget?

Secondly, is a shutter count of 10k high? Considering a used 350D in the B&S. section.

Thanks for the replies.

Even with a 1Ds MKII, you may not get great pictures. In other words, having a DSLR doesnt mean to be able to take great pictures.

Frankly speaking, if you have not even started using a DSLR, I'd advise you to get a prosumer or P&S for your trip. Rather than having to worry why you are not taking "great pictures", why not use a simple camera and enjoy your trip.

Cheers

I agree with Lmodel that if you are a first time user of and SLR or DSLR, you may not end up with nicer pics. In fact, you are more likely to end up with below par pics.

furthermore, if you are taking sports pics, likelyhood that you will be needing a telephoto lens (i.e. 200 to 300mm or more). you have to factor the cost of getting this extra lens when considering DSLR.

i believe that a prosumer cam like Sony H-series or Canon S-series are better suited for you given your time frame to learn the cam and budget. Check the cams out for more options... :)

Have fun on your trip... and come back with nice pics to share.. ;)

Hi,

Thanks for the concern. Actually my trip will be in June, so depending on how often I do it, I might have enough time to learn the basic ropes of a DSLR. I have a P&S which I intend to bring on my trip regardless of whether I am going to get a DSLR or not. So I got my picture needs covered.

Just want to try my hand at DLSR. I must start somewhere right?

Thanks again guys for the reality check.

hihi i was thinking like u last yr !! hehe .... after i went to california and took many photos with my PNS cam, but weren't so nice as i wanted them 2 be (i cound not adjust much settings :x)... then when i came back (baybe the BBB virus haha).. i decided to get a consumer DSLR as i am just a hobbist (I love scenery photos, i'm into astro he) :p

my advise is , if u wana get 1 , like what u said, get it early n shoot shoot shoot. weeee.
my first day or 2 i was wondering y my pics blur. took me about half a month 2 reallie use e cam. now i oni like 2 use manual (but AF hehe).

started wif DSLR in november. now still learning how 2 c a situation which would be appropriate o wat settings.(just got a tamron 17-50 len, still learning the "behaviour" of it)
normallie when u first try new lens n stuff, think first few shots will not so nice wan, cause must get use to lens first.

hmmm think u can get a

body : 350D 2nd hand @ 800 (wif battery grip)
lens: tamron 17-50mm 2.8 (walk around)
if got extra $$, get a macro & a cheap telephoto hee.

with all said,.... mi still a newbie haha :p

No One is born with a camera in their hands... Just get one and start shooting. You'll develop your own shooting style and camera system...

Photography is practical not just talk and talks. Take 3 encouraging advices and go ahead. Any advices that make you doubtful - Dump it.

A senior once told me:
"your first 10,000 pictures will be where you learn the ropes, from then on you'll start getting the hang of it..."

in Short:
Shoot more, Learn more!
Happy Shooting! ^^

A senior once told me:
"your first 10,000 pictures will be where you learn the ropes, from then on you'll start getting the hang of it..."

in Short:
Shoot more, Learn more!
Happy Shooting! ^^

Did you overheard me somewhere?

May I offer another alternative, the Pentax K100D.
Price and image quality very close to the Nikon D40 but has built in shake reduction in the body, something the Canon and Nikon lacks. For Canon & Nikon, you'll have to spend A LOT for their vibration reduction lenses. You can use any Pentax or third party K-mount lens ever made (with varying degrees of automation) and every one gets the benefit of anti-shake!
With the D40 autofocusing is limited only to AF-S, AF-I lenses.
A new K100D is going for below $1100 with the kit lens. Can get it cheaper online.

Hi,

I will be going to Europe/US for a trip for 2 months and I wish to take great photos while over there. Problem is, I'm a newbie at DSLR but I have researched about the benefits about DSLR and convinced its the way to go.

so the most popular recommendation for a beginner DSLR from CS is the Nikon D40 since its a relatively cheap camera that takes great pictures. However, I know myself and I will the need the autofocus function and apparently the Nikon AF-S lens will add great cost.

Enter the 350D. Its almost 2 years old since it came out. But it seems to meet my needs at my budget(esp second hand). Faster camera (impt to me because I see myself taking pictures of sports events). So...

Is there any other camera that matches the 350D for my needs and budget?

Secondly, is a shutter count of 10k high? Considering a used 350D in the B&S. section.

Thanks for the replies.

My advise is that u quickly get the camera and practise a bit here and there before going over to Europe as you have to KNOW the camera. The Canon 350D is a good camera and serves me well during my 2 months of holidays there last year while equiped with the kit lens, 10-22mm and the 28-300.(I borrowed the last 2 lens) Make sure you have standby all the batteries and memory cards before leaving. Have a good trip.

hmmm think u can get a

body : 350D 2nd hand @ 800 (wif battery grip)
lens: tamron 17-50mm 2.8 (walk around)
if got extra $$, get a macro & a cheap telephoto hee.

I saw Canon promotion in last saturday Straits Times that 350D is going for RRP S$1199 and 400D at S$1699....that's the RRP and dunno what's the street price now....if say close to S$1k, then i think the used body price of S$800 u mentioned may not be that attractive now

Did you check out if 350D can manual control white balance? Because....

I think one thing to note is Nikon D40 comes with AF-S kit lens which most ppl forgets... If u are intending to do with just kit lens i think its not much of a problem. Anyway most lens nowadays are AF-S or AF-I lens.

But side tracking i myself will get canon 350d.

;)

Did you check out if 350D can manual control white balance? Because....

See that some dslr does not have manual control wb...how is this feature important?

Manual WB corection is useful when you have tricky/ mixed lighting. If you do not shoot raw it may be difficult to get back the original colours later. The 350D has both custom WB as well as manial WB shifting and braketing.

actually I will recommend a oly E500 twin lens kit whose RRP just dropped to $1199.

Compare this to the 350D kit RRP at $1199.

The 2 kit lens is MUCH better than what you can get for 350 kit. The 14-45mm lens is probably much sharper than the canon 17-55 kit len. Furthermore, I feel that the oly 40-150 mm f3.5-f4.5 is comparable to the canon 70-200 f4 lens which cost like $1k.... as it has similar FOV and aperture and is very sharp and contrasty.

The lens and body is also quite light and suitable for travel. With the dust buster you are also protected against dust during your travels as it is a hassle to self clean overseas.

Seriously, I will that the oly 4/3 system with a bigger DOF is more suitable for newbies like me. I read many focusing issues with the 350D. They upgraded the focusing unit when the 400D came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.