Consider a Wide Angle lens for 500D - 10-22 or 10-20 or 10-24???

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestrokk

Jun 3, 2008
Jurong, Singapore
Hi all,

Was thinking in investing heavily in a wide angle lens to round up my lens collection.
I am considering the above for scenery taking.

Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6
Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5

Can anyone give any comments?
I also tot that since its for scenery, the higher f values is not a concern right?
Please correct me if i am wrong.

Many thanks for all ur guidance. :)

I suggest that a good place to start would be by reading the reviews on photozone.de, and then determining which lens meets your needs and budget best.

I suggest that a good place to start would be by reading the reviews on photozone.de, and then determining which lens meets your needs and budget best.

yes, follow what rashkae bro said,

knowing your budget and your needs for the lens will enable you to choose the correct lens.

I have the Tamron and am pretty happy with it . This picture was taken with the Tamron

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martywindle/3529567829/in/set-72157621859112766/

Thanks Rashkee,
I have read through the photozone.de and actually found tamron have the worst barrel distortion. Sorry Yorkshire, but ur photo looks stunning though. For tat approximate 300++ difference it seems a good buy!

So far i have read a lot of review about these lens. Seems like the best preforming lens is the Canon 10-22mm. But i have also read that the Tokina also have a good 11-16mm. any comments about this?

Seems to be the Sigma is the best price over $$$.

I think if i hav the budget i will consider the canon ba.

I always look at Dp review site when assessing lens ..it got a pretty good review there

In terms of sharpness and chromatic aberration, the 10-24mm is broadly comparable to mid-range zooms such as the Nikon AF-S 18-200mm F3.5-5.6G VR, but without the extreme barrel distortion such lenses exhibit at wideangle.This alone makes it much better suited to shooting subjects such as architecture, which are dominated by straight lines across the frame. Usefully it's sharpest at the wide end, which is of course what users will be buying it for, although it's no slouch at longer focal lengths either.

I too, have the tamron. When I decided to buy a wide angle, i brought my camera down to Alan photo and tested a few (even the convertor type)

And I walked off with the Tamron =)

Taken with the Tamron
IMG_8014bw.jpg

it really depends on how wide TS needs to go..

on a crop body 18mm is 27mm perspective (on full-frame) and that is alr wide.

wide angle starts from 28mm and wider.

it really depends on how wide TS needs to go..

on a crop body 18mm is 27mm perspective (on full-frame) and that is alr wide.

wide angle starts from 28mm and wider.

Can explain wat u mean by how wide TS needs to go?

I just went down to John 3:16. Everyone around was friendly.
Though i feel the boss was very busy running around.

Tried the 10-22 and was amazed by how close i can take a photo and the distortion was almost minimum!

Think if i am going to get one, its going to be this. :)

I just went down to John 3:16. Everyone around was friendly.
Though i feel the boss was very busy running around.

Tried the 10-22 and was amazed by how close i can take a photo and the distortion was almost minimum!

By "how wide TS needs to go" meaning how wide do YOU, the TS need to go?

wide as in 24mm, or 15mm? just asking.

yea, john3:16 is known for their hospitality, and samuel is always very busy.

can't talk about the distort on the 10-22 though, having never used it before, but i'm sure it's a great lens and you won't go wrong with it if you're a wide-angle lover on a crop body.

I just went down to John 3:16. Everyone around was friendly. Though i feel the boss was very busy running around. Tried the 10-22 and was amazed by how close i can take a photo and the distortion was almost minimum!

I like John 3:16 too but he does tend to push Canon as the only solution , if you are doing a comparison you should at least have a look at the other lens to make a comparison

Yup, Thanks for the advise. I think i will take a while to decide the WA lens.
Currently looking for a good walk about lens first.
The WA will come later... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.