conservation of photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

whit83

Aug 11, 2009
Hi All,
I'm kind of new to Singapore and I'm trying to do some research on the protection or conservation of old photographs (like tintypes, ambrotypes, glass negatives, and such). I was wondering if anyone might have some information on a place here that does this type of work or a site that would be helpful. Thanks

Hi Whit,

I'm not sure if anyone does the old or 'alternative' type of processes here.

I am personally interested in the bromoil and palladium/platinum type prints but I've not been able to try it yet. I'm still in the research stage.

I do hope someone who is involved in these intriguing printing processes would chime in.

You also asked for a site. Are you looking for information, in general?

Hi All,
I'm kind of new to Singapore and I'm trying to do some research on the protection or conservation of old photographs (like tintypes, ambrotypes, glass negatives, and such). I was wondering if anyone might have some information on a place here that does this type of work or a site that would be helpful. Thanks

The National Museum has a gallery on the history of photography in Singapore. Perhaps you can visit it, and find out more about the background, perhaps go one step further and request a talk with the curators too.

http://www.nationalmuseum.sg/nms/nm...ontent_id=22&tab_id=22&cine_id=1559&fest_id=0

Whit, LazerLordz made a very good suggestion!

I'm sorry, I had a chance to re-read your post. Some of my clients are in contact with restorers. I'll try and find out for you if they are involved with such prints, or know of people who do.

Are you looking to get some prints restored, or is this just for information?

Thanks for the help everyone.
I'm actually working for a place in singapore that has a collection of different types of photographs, tintypes, glass negatives, just to name a few. I was doing some initial research on how they should be protected and where they should be, this is when I realized that some of the pieces we have are not protected correctly.
So what I'm looking for is a place in singapore that would have some expertise on how to go about conserving these images, or even a website that might help in giving me ideas of how I can at least protect what is collected better.
Again any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Thanks for the help everyone.
I'm actually working for a place in singapore that has a collection of different types of photographs, tintypes, glass negatives, just to name a few. I was doing some initial research on how they should be protected and where they should be, this is when I realized that some of the pieces we have are not protected correctly.
So what I'm looking for is a place in singapore that would have some expertise on how to go about conserving these images, or even a website that might help in giving me ideas of how I can at least protect what is collected better.
Again any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Oh, I see.

Well, the NHB has a Heritage Conservation Centre, they do restoration and preservation of old prints, manuscripts and all that . Or you might want to talk to someone at the Tyler Print Institute..

Thanks again, I will check out all that has been suggested. Hopefully they will be able to help.

The museum of any country is usually the first place to contact when it comes to restoration and preservation.

if want extreme in the sense there is no original negative, can try to replicate what they used to preserve the US Declaration of Independence document.

Status
Not open for further replies.