Cons of using SDHC as thumbdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmonsoon

Aug 6, 2004
Sg
I've been using my 8GB card with USB card reader adapter as a thumbdrive, and in cam.

Anyone has encountered problems to share?Thks:)

I've been using my 8GB card with USB card reader adapter as a thumbdrive, and in cam.

good idea... 2 in 1 function!
I use the 8GB micro SDHC that came with my mobile, so I fit it into an adapter and THEN fit into the card reader which plugs into USB slot... hahaha so many connections.
Quite slow, but ok for transferring files where time isn't an issue.
I don't think my freebie thumbdrive is any faster :bsmilie:

so far no problem encountered

Solid State Memories (SSM) all have a read write life expectancy. There is a maxium/finite amount of read and write cycles. So by using it as a thumbdrive you're increasing the chance of early retirement. Not recommended if you're using high speed memory cards purely due to the fact that it costs a lot more. But then again, the endurance of the cards are pretty good, typically enough to last the lifetime of the card itself. Not so in the case of Solid State Drives where data is accessed more frequently. It's really up to you guys to decide. Do a search online for these keywords, "flash memory read write limit" and gather some info to decide for yourself.

If you can find, Sandisk's Ultra II Plus range of SD cards works well for doubling as a thumbdrive.. Cos it has a built in USB port, you just need to flip down the other half of the card and plug in directly into a USB port.. I have a 4GB SDHC, and a 3 year old 512mb one, no prob so far..

Solid State Memories (SSM) all have a read write life expectancy. There is a maxium/finite amount of read and write cycles. So by using it as a thumbdrive you're increasing the chance of early retirement. Not recommended if you're using high speed memory cards purely due to the fact that it costs a lot more. But then again, the endurance of the cards are pretty good, typically enough to last the lifetime of the card itself. Not so in the case of Solid State Drives where data is accessed more frequently. It's really up to you guys to decide. Do a search online for these keywords, "flash memory read write limit" and gather some info to decide for yourself.

Wikipedia states "Most commercially available flash products are guaranteed to withstand around 100,000 write-erase-cycles, before the wear begins to deteriorate the integrity of the storage"

:think:..... as if I'll get anywhere near that limit for my "thumbdrive". So the point about earlier retirement is moot, really.

Wikipedia states "Most commercially available flash products are guaranteed to withstand around 100,000 write-erase-cycles, before the wear begins to deteriorate the integrity of the storage"

:think:..... as if I'll get anywhere near that limit for my "thumbdrive". So the point about earlier retirement is moot, really.

As i've mentioned, it typically lasts the lifetime of the card. That said, i've been through 2 thumbdrives (used daily without fail) in 4 years, and a few memory cards since mmc/sd. One thing i've noticed is kingston memory cards do not last as long as the competitors. Granted they have a lifetime warranty, but it's pretty much a waste of time to do a swap as the memory card would have reached it's prime (would have used it for about two years) by the time of failure, and much larger capacities and faster speeds could be purchased at the same price or cheaper.

That's really the only con that i could think of in respect to the question. I personally do use it as a makeshift thumbdrive as well. :)

Thks for the replies, so I guess its fine, unless suay suay..unlucky.
Wont expect it to last 'forever', as long as it does not drastically reduce its lifespan than its ok.

My 8GB sdhc is more than enough for my data usage as a thumbdrive.:)

my 8 GB Ducati can flip into a thumbdrive, very convenient.

Pushing it, the only minor nit I can think of is, sometimes width abit too wide, then when i need to jack another USB device next to it , it can becomes abit cramp / obstructing .... :bsmilie:

Ryan

no problem la.. why is there issue?

Maybe because I have the impression SD cards are meant only for cameras?
Using it as thumbdrives dont know if will corrupt data, premature failure, like HDD bad sector?
Guess my worries is unfounded?

Just wanna save $$, no need buy another dedicated thumbdrive.

my 8 GB Ducati can flip into a thumbdrive, very convenient.

Pushing it, the only minor nit I can think of is, sometimes width abit too wide, then when i need to jack another USB device next to it , it can becomes abit cramp / obstructing .... :bsmilie:

Ryan
I have an old Sandisk SD plus 2Gb version form PC show, but looking to buy a 8 or 16Gb version, but where can I find it? Now hardly see any at this large size.

Only issue is need to use the card reader if sharing files with PC.

I got no problems at all too, have been using my 32gb SDHC memory card as a thumbdrive all this while :lovegrin:

wow. that's a new info to me. i thought there is no life span for such thing. will be more careful using my flashdrive next time

wow. that's a new info to me. i thought there is no life span for such thing. will be more careful using my flashdrive next time

Most of us using SSD drives would have researched and checked that point. As previously mentioned, you're prob not doing writes (note that it applies only for write cycles, not read) like the way an OS is writing info to the harddrive so don't really need to worry about it. I guess if you're one of those still using 32MB MMC cards then maybe... tts why you don't really hear about it.

Even hdd will not fail so fast unless you on your comp 24x7 and constantly writing info to it unless you're using as a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.