Cons of A40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imaginary_number

Feb 3, 2002
Singapore
Hi guys,

After reading reviews and viewing different sample images, I'm quite convinced to buy an A40 soon.

However, what I've been hearing so far are mostly the pros of the A40. For a change, I would like to know some flaws of the A40 before I finally make my choice.

Critics, the stage is yours. ;)

Cons:

1. Sometimes autofocus fails to acquire focus or takes a long time to focus.

2. No meter to show how much battery remaining. When low battery appears, it too late as it can probably only take one or 2 more shots. If you don't have spare batteries with you, then too bad.

3. Limited manual controls and no aperture or shutter priority.

4. No manual focusing

5. Macro focus distance too far - 16cm.

6. Comes standard with only 8mb CF.

7. A silly piece of rubber covers the IO ports. Feels as if it will break anytime.

But I still think it's a good buy... ;)

:)

Originally posted by imaginary_number
Hi guys,

After reading reviews and viewing different sample images, I'm quite convinced to buy an A40 soon.

However, what I've been hearing so far are mostly the pros of the A40. For a change, I would like to know some flaws of the A40 before I finally make my choice.

Critics, the stage is yours. ;)

Interested to get it together????

i may be interested to get the a40 soon too, just got to see it today....before that, i thought it was quite bulky, but it was wrong :gbounce:

Regarding the above points:

2. My Oly 2040Z also the same, when battery low then it flashes. By then it's quite late too :) I think a lot of cams also got the same problem, my friend's G2 too.

3. For a $530 cam, I believe A40 is offering quite a lot liao (Look at the more expensive A20)

4. As above like point 3.

5. My C2040Z 20cm, even worse.

6. Same here.

7. This I heard about it too and I agree too :)

Overall like wat choong has said, it's quite a good cam worth the price.

Originally posted by dbchoong
Cons:

1. Sometimes autofocus fails to acquire focus or takes a long time to focus.

2. No meter to show how much battery remaining. When low battery appears, it too late as it can probably only take one or 2 more shots. If you don't have spare batteries with you, then too bad.

3. Limited manual controls and no aperture or shutter priority.

4. No manual focusing

5. Macro focus distance too far - 16cm.

6. Comes standard with only 8mb CF.

7. A silly piece of rubber covers the IO ports. Feels as if it will break anytime.

But I still think it's a good buy... ;)

:)

Originally posted by Royzzz

:rbounce:

Sure. Might be getting it in a few days time. Perhaps we might get a discount if we were to buy it together.

Btw, did you consider other cameras as well?
I was also thinking of the Fujifilm FinePix 2800Z......

Fuji 2800Z is a good choice, 6x Optical Zoom and I also like the colours it produces.

But if u want to take night shots, I will suggest u to take A40 :D

Originally posted by dbchoong

Originally posted by Blitz

My Oly 2040Z also the same, when battery low then it flashes. By then it's quite late too I think a lot of cams also got the same problem, my friend's G2 too.

i think Sony DC will be more suitable for u...it shows u the battery life up to the very last mintues...and it is very accurate too

Fuji 2800Z is a good choice, 6x Optical Zoom and I also like the colours it produces.

But if u want to take night shots, I will suggest u to take A40 :D

I'm considering the A40, 2800z and the P71.

Which would you choose?

I'm considering the A40, 2800z and the P71.

Which would you choose?
why isn't the ixus 330 included? i like the camera :heart:

I had considered Sony P71 as well. But the price like put me off. Also all the accessories also like quite ex.......

So A40 is value for money for me.....

So much is this 2800Z?

I have got these comments from a ex-owner of A40 at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinion_text.asp?prodkey=canon_a40&opinion=10492

"The image quality is great when the camera focuses correctly. But if youre not outdoors or using studio lights, good luck with that. I turned on all the lights in my living room / dining room(300 watt halogen floor lamp, overhead halogens, incadescent lamp on end table, and halogen track lights) and still the camera couldnt focus reliably. Half the time, it beeps once, telling me it cant focus. I would adjust the aim for more contrast to help the autofocus out until i got the double beep of approval. But even then, I got well focused shots only about 50% of the time. I experimented with macro mode, portrait mode, landscape mode, and "regular" mode, but the focus problem remained. I was not using the zoom on these test shots. Finally after about 150 test shots of different things in my living room, I took the camera to work to see how it did with the office lighting. Again, it took a lot of persistance to get the double beep which signifies the camera is focusing ok, and even then, the shots came out out of focus!"

So how true are these comments?? Does A40 really needs very bright in order for the cam to be of focus??

Any A40 owner kindly comment. Thanks.

I had considered Sony P71 as well. But the price like put me off. Also all the accessories also like quite ex.......

So A40 is value for money for me.....

So much is this 2800Z?

It's $699 at CarreFour; heard it's abt $650 at AP or CP.

Originally posted by Quincy
why isn't the ixus 330 included? i like the camera :heart:

$799 for a 2 MP camera? Not worth my money...

I'm not too concerned about the compactness of a camera over here. Price and quality matters a lot more to me.

It's $699 at CarreFour; heard it's abt $650 at AP or CP.

This price a bit over my budget. If I got some other accessoris, the price will become about $800.

Think for now still stick to A40 first till I read up on other models and see if got other better cams at my budget.

This price a bit over my budget. If I got some other accessoris, the price will become about $800.

Think for now still stick to A40 first till I read up on other models and see if got other better cams at my budget.

What's your budget and what other accessories are you planning to get?

If I'm not wrong, Fuji 2800 does not supports addition of external lenses.

So the only accessories you will buy is extra memory cards, batteries or chargers :D

If I'm not wrong, Fuji 2800 does not supports addition of external lenses.

So the only accessories you will buy is extra memory cards, batteries or chargers :D

I'm sure some adventurous sould would somehow managed to retrofit a TC onto the Fj2800z.......:D

What's your budget and what other accessories are you planning to get?

My budget will be not more than $650/-

I hope to get the cam at about $510 - $530/-
Accessories will include the tripod, filter, rechargable battery and 64mb CF. Hope all these will not hit $650/-. I not sure what other stuff I need. So what other accessories u be getting??

May get the underwater casing when I get use to the cam. That will cost another $100++

At the moment I had no idea what external lens r there. Anyone can comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.