Connecting multiple batteries in series

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's near AIA building. You travel on Alexandra Road, with Ikea on your left. Go pass Ikea, you'll come across a big cross junction. Pass the junction, and you can see Queensway shopping centre on the right. On the left you should be able to see a DBS bank, and an OCBC bank. There are a few low-rise HDB flats. Walk along the OCBC bank area, there are a few hardware shops. They sell stuffs from spray paint, pipes for renovation, and of course, tools, and screws, nuts etc.

I can check out the hardware shop unit # the next time I pass by the place. PM me if you need the address.

huggable said:
It's near AIA building. You travel on Alexandra Road, with Ikea on your left. Go pass Ikea, you'll come across a big cross junction. Pass the junction, and you can see Queensway shopping centre on the right. On the left you should be able to see a DBS bank, and an OCBC bank. There are a few low-rise HDB flats. Walk along the OCBC bank area, there are a few hardware shops. They sell stuffs from spray paint, pipes for renovation, and of course, tools, and screws, nuts etc.

I can check out the hardware shop unit # the next time I pass by the place. PM me if you need the address.

Bro, pm you liao..
Looking for the screws too.. :think:

there's a shop in kelantan lane that sells ONLY SCREWs.. whatever kind of commercial standard screws also they have..

I have received a few PMs; just to clarify, I do not know the size of the nut to be used. However, I can bring my tripod to the hardware shop to check out the actual size, and share the address of the hardware shop. My tripod can be used on my Pana FZ5, in case there are other tripods having screw threads of other dimensions.

huggable said:
I have received a few PMs; just to clarify, I do not know the size of the nut to be used. However, I can bring my tripod to the hardware shop to check out the actual size, and share the address of the hardware shop. My tripod can be used on my Pana FZ5, in case there are other tripods having screw threads of other dimensions.

Best to bring the cam along and try the screw.
If can screw in, that is the screw we looking for.. ;)
I bring my cam to try at those hardware shops around my estate but
couldn't find the correct type.

yanyewkay said:
there's a shop in kelantan lane that sells ONLY SCREWs.. whatever kind of commercial standard screws also they have..

Which shop?
That side seem to have lots of hardware shops..
If huggable can't locate it, I will try at that shop.

Hey guys, I bought the bolts & nuts already. I just went to the hardware shop at my house downstairs and was quite surprised to find it immediately. I think the one I got is the M6 but they have the M8 (the bigger one) too! It's selling like 10cents for a set of 1 bolt & 1 nut. The diameter is 1/4". The lengths available are 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1 1/4" (I think), 1 1/2", 2" etc etc... Unfortunately my FZ-20 screw thread is about 1/4" deep and the shortest they have is 1/2" so I guess I'll have to sweat abit & saw it off...

By the way, I stay at AMK Ave 4. If any of u knows, the shop is at the market there... just at the roadside...

I've just measured the tripod screw, and it should be M6. Will put the tripod in my car tomorrow am.

don: Do you still need the info on the hardware shop, and screw/nut size? The earliest I'd pass by AV is probably next week, kinda out of the way as I live in the east! Just let me know, K?

karnage said:
Hey guys, I bought the bolts & nuts already. I just went to the hardware shop at my house downstairs and was quite surprised to find it immediately. I think the one I got is the M6 but they have the M8 (the bigger one) too! It's selling like 10cents for a set of 1 bolt & 1 nut. The diameter is 1/4". The lengths available are 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1 1/4" (I think), 1 1/2", 2" etc etc... Unfortunately my FZ-20 screw thread is about 1/4" deep and the shortest they have is 1/2" so I guess I'll have to sweat abit & saw it off...

By the way, I stay at AMK Ave 4. If any of u knows, the shop is at the market there... just at the roadside...

Bro, yours is bolt & nuts type.
Is it like the pic below?

P1030201.jpg

huggable said:
I've just measured the tripod screw, and it should be M6. Will put the tripod in my car tomorrow am.

don: Do you still need the info on the hardware shop, and screw/nut size? The earliest I'd pass by AV is probably next week, kinda out of the way as I live in the east! Just let me know, K?

I will still need the info if your side is the 'Countersunk Philip head screw' type
or without countersunk and not bolt type as shown above thread.

donchua said:
Which shop?
That side seem to have lots of hardware shops..
If huggable can't locate it, I will try at that shop.

5 - 6 years ago, it was called "King Screws".. Now.. not sure...

Hi Don, no, mine's not the bolt kind as in the pic. Sorry for the misuse of nouns. Mine is a "-" head but not countersunk one... know what I mean? It sorta bulges at the top, like a dome, yeah.

karnage said:
Hi Don, no, mine's not the bolt kind as in the pic. Sorry for the misuse of nouns. Mine is a "-" head but not countersunk one... know what I mean? It sorta bulges at the top, like a dome, yeah.

Like that can help me get 2 or 3 pcs and mail them to me?
I pay you via bank tranfer or during PLUG.
Ok?

Firefox said:
5 - 6 years ago, it was called "King Screws".. Now.. not sure...

You right. The shop is at Sungei Road. I don't know whether it is still there!
Try your luck... I am sure you can get it at Sungei Road..

Yappy & happy

Wah... mail to you? Haha! I think that's weird... like, the postage will cost more than the contents already... Mmm... u stay Tampines right? Would u be going town next weekend? Or maybe sometime during next week (Mon-Wed) I can go down Tampines to meet u? I've been wanting to go to the Cash Convertors there...

karnage said:
Wah... mail to you? Haha! I think that's weird... like, the postage will cost more than the contents already... Mmm... u stay Tampines right? Would u be going town next weekend? Or maybe sometime during next week (Mon-Wed) I can go down Tampines to meet u? I've been wanting to go to the Cash Convertors there...

Next Mon to Wed I only able to reach Tampines around 7.30pm if it is
not too late for you.

Hmm... where do u work? Maybe I can also go near your workplace there? Why not you PM me your contact, then we can arrange from there...

karnage said:
Hi guys (and gals too, yeah), just want to find out:

I'm connecting 8x 1.2V NiMH AA batteries in series to get 9.6V (it's abit over the top but it works on my camera, which only requires 7.2V). Each cell is 2500mAh. So this whole circuit can be regarded as a single 9.6V NiMH cell right? The question is, what is the mAh rating then? Is it still 2500mAh or is it 8 x 2500mAh = 20Ah (20,000mAh)? :think: :dunno: :bsmilie:

Miscellanous info: I'm constructing a DIY battery pack (aka hand grip) for my Panasonic FZ20. This will probably be mounted underneath, like all battery grips, by the tripod thread. Wondering how to make another tripod thread so I can still mounted the whole thing on a tripod... :sweat:

Put simply, if you know electronics (ohm's law etc) the current rating will remain the lowest.
Eg the lowest ma rating of the batteries when connected in series.

By the way, it is not a good thing to exceed the voltage as you are.
You ARE going to stress the electronics involved.

Pablo said:
Put simply, if you know electronics (ohm's law etc) the current rating will remain the lowest.
Eg the lowest ma rating of the batteries when connected in series..

Oh... I don't know electronics... haha! That's why the question was posted here. :D

You mean if I connect in series 4 batteries, 3 of which are 2500mAh & 1 is 1700mAh, the current rating for that setup is only 1700mAh? Wow! Ok... U learn something new everyday! :bsmilie:

So what happens to the 3 2500mAh cells when the 1700mAh one is used up? Does the voltage drop to 3.6V only?

Pablo said:
By the way, it is not a good thing to exceed the voltage as you are.
You ARE going to stress the electronics involved.

Ya... I thought so. Hence, I'm trying out the 12 batteries in series parallel method tomorrow. Will test on 6 batteries first... next time then test 12 together... Thanks for the advice though. Cheers!

karnage said:
So what happens to the 3 2500mAh cells when the 1700mAh one is used up? Does the voltage drop to 3.6V only?

Nope.. It's closer to about 4.6v..

If the 1700mAH cell is fully discharged and you continue to try and use the pack, it'd most likely be destroyed..

Status
Not open for further replies.