Connecting a Default(Windows) Keyboard to a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

germ_boi

Oct 3, 2003
Sedna, Orion Stars
Visit site
Tried Googling but couldn't find anything.

My house doesnt have a spare Windows keyboard so I couldn't experiment.

I want to get a wired keyboard for my Macbook but the wired Apple version is a little pricey. Looking at cheaper alternatives (hint, I'm not picky).

However, what happens when you plug a normal pc keyboard into a Macbook? What do you get for the special keys, and what will now become your "Command" key?

Thanks in advance, and does anyone know where's the best place to get a cheap(er) bluetooth wireless mouse (eg Microsoft Explorer 5000) or good alternatives?

Thanks!

A few more questions are:

Is there a Dock for a macbook or macbook pro? Similar to the docks that the Fujitsus and IBMs have.

Learnt a bad lesson that after buying a notebook cooler pad that it raises your hands by around 6cm and causes the sides of the Macbook to cut into your hand, hence the desire to buy a external keyboard to stop this problem, haha.

A few more questions are:

Is there a Dock for a macbook or macbook pro? Similar to the docks that the Fujitsus and IBMs have.

Learnt a bad lesson that after buying a notebook cooler pad that it raises your hands by around 6cm and causes the sides of the Macbook to cut into your hand, hence the desire to buy a external keyboard to stop this problem, haha.
Not really of a dock is available for the macbook, but you can try cooler master cooling fans, which are lower. Try the X2 series. It's very good.

As for the normal keyboard being used on the mac, it should be fine, but you may lose some controls. And with certain types of keyboards, my windows logo becomes the command function. Can't say it will work for all keyboards. But no harm borrowing a set to try first.

Logitech keyboards work just fine since Logitech has software to support most of their devices. The keys will be in the same positions as Apple keyboards.

Strange that you have problems with the machine cutting into your hands. I have a PowerBook on a monitor stand with an Antec cooler, which raises the whole thing to monitor height and I'm having no problem when I use the notebook's keyboard.

Tried Googling but couldn't find anything.

My house doesnt have a spare Windows keyboard so I couldn't experiment.

I want to get a wired keyboard for my Macbook but the wired Apple version is a little pricey. Looking at cheaper alternatives (hint, I'm not picky).

However, what happens when you plug a normal pc keyboard into a Macbook? What do you get for the special keys, and what will now become your "Command" key?

Thanks in advance, and does anyone know where's the best place to get a cheap(er) bluetooth wireless mouse (eg Microsoft Explorer 5000) or good alternatives?

Thanks!

Take a look at this URL for more information. If a mac keyboard can be use on windows system. Think it should be the same if you using a PC keyboard on a mac system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Keyboard

Logitech keyboards work just fine since Logitech has software to support most of their devices. The keys will be in the same positions as Apple keyboards.

Strange that you have problems with the machine cutting into your hands. I have a PowerBook on a monitor stand with an Antec cooler, which raises the whole thing to monitor height and I'm having no problem when I use the notebook's keyboard.
granted it's not a problem, but probably something my hands are not used to yet (angle etc)

granted it's not a problem, but probably something my hands are not used to yet (angle etc)

Boost your chair higher? I guess it's all that time at the piano that doesn't allow me to use the palm rest properly. :bsmilie:

I'm getting a (just retired version) MacBook, so it should be interesting to see if I find it any sharper than my PowerBook since it's not made of alumi.

I remembered before I added the Logitech software, the Windows key was not the Mac Option key function. It was the Command key and the Option key function was attached to the Alt key. Apparently, Apple's keyboard detection/resolution isn't the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.