Confused over which camera to buy. Pls help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderflash

Mar 10, 2009
Hi I am intending to get a camera for landscape and candid shots for my vietnam as well as future overseas trip. Therefore intending to get a good entry lvl camera to experiment ard. Any recommendation. Budget ard 1k plus minus. IT show also coming so many brands, models but dontknow what to buy as i am unfamiliar with the technical terms. Pls help! Thanks :)

Hello...welcome.

You may want to consider a Prosumer instead of a DSLR unless your passion for photography is strong enough to convince you to get a DSLR. Owning a DSLR does not mean that you will get great photos everytime.

As I have mentioned many times that given today's advanced technology, all entry level cams are able to give you very nice pictures if you use them within their limits. Big names does not equate to the best cam and small players are not necessary not up to par with the bigger boys.

Just do some homework to see which are the functions you need most and go to the shops to have a feel of the cams you have shortlisted. The most important thing is to get the one you're most comfortable with as you're the one using it. What I like you may not like.

Here are a few you can consider and do some research on. Some of the models listed may be above your budget by a little.

Nikon - D60/D90
Canon - 1000D/450D
Sony - A200 (no live view), A300/A350 (with live view)
Pentax - K200D
Olympus - E420/520
Panasonic - G1

Happy shopping. :)

Hello...welcome.

You may want to consider a Prosumer instead of a DSLR unless your passion for photography is strong enough to convince you to get a DSLR. Owning a DSLR does not mean that you will get great photos everytime.

As I have mentioned many times that given today's advanced technology, all entry level cams are able to give you very nice pictures if you use them within their limits. Big names does not equate to the best cam and small players are not necessary not up to par with the bigger boys.

Just do some homework to see which are the functions you need most and go to the shops to have a feel of the cams you have shortlisted. The most important thing is to get the one you're most comfortable with as you're the one using it. What I like you may not like.

Here are a few you can consider and do some research on. Some of the models listed may be above your budget by a little.

Nikon - D60/D90
Canon - 1000D/450D
Sony - A200 (no live view), A300/A350 (with live view)
Pentax - K200D
Olympus - E420/520
Panasonic - G1

Happy shopping. :)

Thanks a lot for your input. It is much appreciated. I recently saw a promotion @ harvey normam on Canon 1000D(EFS 18-55mm + EFS 75-300mm) @ $1099. Wondering thats a gd deal? Yea i am also considering prosumer camera but afraid that when passion grow, i got to go through the hindrance of selling away and getting a new body haha...

Thanks for the input :)
Care to elaborate on the reasons? :)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/

Small, compact, good range for landscapes and candid (24-60mm).
Or if you can spend an extra S$500 more, get the Leica D-Lux 4 which is basically almost the same thing but S$500 more for the red dot logo.

Don't bother with entry level dSLRs, the crop factor isn't really friendly with landscapes.

I recently saw a promotion @ harvey normam on Canon 1000D(EFS 18-55mm + EFS 75-300mm) @ $1099. Wondering thats a gd deal? Yea i am also considering prosumer camera but afraid that when passion grow, i got to go through the hindrance of selling away and getting a new body haha...

The 75-300 is nothing I'd recommend. They just want to get rid of the copies getting dusty on the shelf. There are better options but first you should learn the basics of photography. So whatever offer you take just stock to the kit lens.
Growing and changing equipment is part of hobby and life. A good prosumer can still serve as backup or when you can't bring or use the DSLR. With a sound knowledge of photography it's also easier to select a DSLR, you get less tempted or confused by sales offers and marketing terms.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/

Small, compact, good range for landscapes and candid (24-60mm).
Or if you can spend an extra S$500 more, get the Leica D-Lux 4 which is basically almost the same thing but S$500 more for the red dot logo.

Don't bother with entry level dSLRs, the crop factor isn't really friendly with landscapes.

Haha i dont think i will spend an extra 500 man if the results are the same. Will save it for future upgrade. Anyway thanks for the enlightenment :)

The 75-300 is nothing I'd recommend. They just want to get rid of the copies getting dusty on the shelf. There are better options but first you should learn the basics of photography. So whatever offer you take just stock to the kit lens.
Growing and changing equipment is part of hobby and life. A good prosumer can still serve as backup or when you can't bring or use the DSLR. With a sound knowledge of photography it's also easier to select a DSLR, you get less tempted or confused by sales offers and marketing terms.

Spent the whole day reading up on a lot of threads, and what u said really make sense. No doubt the temptation to buy a DSLR camera is still there; more functions thus more things to explore haha. But yea guess at the end of the day may start of with a prosumer camera first. Beside LX 3 as recommended by quite a no. of pple, is there any other model that is suitable for my needs?

O yea anyway sry to ask so many questions. Really a very new beginner. And yea thanks everyone for entertaining my questions :)

Thanks a lot for your input. It is much appreciated. I recently saw a promotion @ harvey normam on Canon 1000D(EFS 18-55mm + EFS 75-300mm) @ $1099. Wondering thats a gd deal? Yea i am also considering prosumer camera but afraid that when passion grow, i got to go through the hindrance of selling away and getting a new body haha...

If you hunt around in the BnS forum, for around 1.3k , I believe you can get a XXXD series plus 10-22mm (landscape) + 55-250mm (street)- all 2nd hand.
I think there is no much point in paying for a 75-300mm.

Spent the whole day reading up on a lot of threads, and what u said really make sense. No doubt the temptation to buy a DSLR camera is still there; more functions thus more things to explore haha. But yea guess at the end of the day may start of with a prosumer camera first. Beside LX 3 as recommended by quite a no. of pple, is there any other model that is suitable for my needs?
O yea anyway sry to ask so many questions. Really a very new beginner. And yea thanks everyone for entertaining my questions :)

Canon G10 is also a model in the same range, often directly compared to Pana LX3. Direct comparisons and reviews are online (also on dpreview). Both have their points. Canon might be better when it comes about additional accessories, e.g. you can use any Canon hotshoe flash which can be used on a Canon DSLR (later) as well.
Go to the shops and have a look and feel there. You must feel comfortable with the cam. I played a bit with the LX3 of my boss. Not bad but not my liking. I feel much better with a Canon model and the handling.
Ask questions, that's ok. But keep thinking for yourself and make your own decision. Many people here don't mind answering questions, but they do mind spoonfeeding :nono:

Hey there!

LX-3 because its a relatively good all rounder performer for the price.
1) The lens is of good quality
2) Good and Fast lens and wide at 24mm like a 35mm film
3) Reviews have been good for the camera
4) Good built and feel to the camera
5) Light and small compacted to the SLR

Only thing lacking is the zoom but if its for landscape and street photography this works really well. U can consider slight upgrade getting the accessories in future.

My 2 cents?

More reviews can be found in dpreview.

Shy@n

Status
Not open for further replies.