Confused and out of time; need help with these 3 lens

kanzie88

Jul 14, 2009
Tiong Bahru Estate, Singapore,
So I like to versatility of zoom lens but I want to take advantage of the great lens that tamron 17-50mm has to offer.

I am split between these 3
Tamron 17-50mm $390 for second hand
Canon 17-85mm $300 second hand
Canon 15-85mm $850 for export set

I will be gg Europe for exchange prog and would like a versatile lens on my 450d...will 15-85 be an overkill?
Any experienced folks out there can give me a tip or two?

They are all versatile zoom lens, can even put in 18-55 kit lens.

It depends on your budget. Personally i will pick 15-85 for the slightly wider angle and longer reach compared to 17-50. You never know how that bit of wider angle or longer reach helps, esp when you are in foreign land.

Also, 15-85 has been known to be L grade quality following behind EFS 17-55.

So end of the day, decide on how much you are willing to spend. They pretty much can do the same job.

For more advanced factors like distortions and quality output, you can search the web for various reviews and comparisons. A simple search like 17-85 vs 15-85 will generate a full page of results. Not that difficult.
EF-S 15-85, EF-S 17-85 and Tamron 17-50/f2.8 comparison (large images): Canon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

If your budget allows, 17-85 is definitely out of the picture since you could have gotten 15-85 instead.

The only thing left is 1 question:
1. Is the focal length from 51mm to 85mm crucial? Since you owned a DSLR you should roughly know what focal length u use normally. Does 15mm and 17mm makes alot of difference to you?

If not then personally I prefer 17-50mm due to f2.8 which can come in handy during travel whereby light is lower and using tripod is not suitable. Unless you are into flash then 15-85 is alright at night.

The extra 35mm, if you are not going to print large photos then just crop the photos a little?

If u want a (almost) do-all lens, 15-85mm will be my choice. Wide enough & longer reach for most general shot. Good IQ and decent build with USM & IS. Only disadvantage is it not f/2.8.
Just need to pump up the ISO more for general night shot (without tripod)

I will choose Tamron 17-50mm $390 for second hand due to f2.8, TS is holding a Canon 450D which tend to have noisy pic if bump up ISO.

Just my view.

I'd say stick with your kit lens until you know what you need.. No point buying another lens that covers the same focal range as your kit lens just for the f2.8.

Thanks guys for ur input ... I really like the 15-85 cus i need the zoom and the IQ ... Just afraid it will be an overkill for my 450d and that my 450d sensor would be the limiting factor in the IQ ... It wun be right (sorry for this noob qn)

Thanks guys for ur input ... I really like the 15-85 cus i need the zoom and the IQ ... Just afraid it will be an overkill for my 450d and that my 450d sensor would be the limiting factor in the IQ ... It wun be right (sorry for this noob qn)

I've seen people with L lenses on 450d. if IQ is what you're worried about it shouldn't be an issue. Unless you're talking about perfomance i.e. fast fps and iso noise level.

shoot more! post more! That's how you improve, not by getting better gear.

good luck! :)

17-50 f2.8 tamron best price for the best quality..

Linmei said:
17-50 f2.8 tamron best price for the best quality..

Best price yes, not so on the quality part. This lens has a lot of known issues

Best price yes, not so on the quality part. This lens has a lot of known issues

haha.. still beginner, got alot to learn.. see from the camera the photo all very nice.. from com also good enough for me.. at least for now.. lol..

So I like to versatility of zoom lens but I want to take advantage of the great lens that tamron 17-50mm has to offer.

I am split between these 3
Tamron 17-50mm $390 for second hand
Canon 17-85mm $300 second hand
Canon 15-85mm $850 for export set

I will be gg Europe for exchange prog and would like a versatile lens on my 450d...will 15-85 be an overkill?
Any experienced folks out there can give me a tip or two?

let me know if u wan to get 17-50.. i can sell u mine cheap cheap.. looking to upgrade le..

They're all fine lenses. Just let your budget decide!

And oh, by the way, I brought my D70 and my Tamron 17-50mm up to Switzerland for my exchange back in 2008.

I was very pleased with my pictures.