Confused and needs assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

apcaw

Oct 3, 2008
Hello to everyone. This is my first post, ever. :)

I bought a Canon Powershot S5 IS earlier this year and was happy with this "intermediate" camera which works like a point and shoot but also works like a SLR.

Lately, I noticed some limitations like blurred pictures when taking extreme close ups. So, it prompted me to but additional accesories like a teleconverter and an external flash.

My question are:
  • What is the real use of a tele converter? Doesn't it increase zooming capabilities of the camera? How come when I set it either 1.5X or 2.0x, it still can't take extreme clear pictures of far objects? it still comes out blurred.
  • How can one use a teleconverter to be able to get its maximum benefit?
  • When I use a teleconverter, the Canon stabilizer (hand shake) doesn't seem to work. Is this the real case?

I am ashamed to admit that I decided to buy a teleconverter before studying its use. All I wanted was to get close up shots from a far with high quality.:confused:

Hope anyone can help me. Expecially anyone who has the same camera. :)

when taking close up use the macro mode of the S5 ..if i am not wrong the super macro can take at 0 cm focal length and is quite clear .

hope this help;)

You need a close-up filter actually. This would reduce the focusing distance from the camera ti the subject.

A teleconverter increases the focal lenght and may not help with the focusing distance. You may be shooting at the minimum focusing distance already. Check out your user manual for full details.

Consider a Raynox 250 if your camera can use such a filter.

My question are:
  • What is the real use of a tele converter? Doesn't it increase zooming capabilities of the camera? How come when I set it either 1.5X or 2.0x, it still can't take extreme clear pictures of far objects? it still comes out blurred.

I think he want to use it to take far object so as to make the far object look bigger. SO focus setting should be infinity. And assume zoom at max.

Blurred??? what is your shutter speed?

I am ashamed to admit that I decided to buy a teleconverter before studying its use. All I wanted was to get close up shots from a far with high quality.:confused:

Hope anyone can help me. Expecially anyone who has the same camera. :)

Think in DSLR terms, what TS wants is not to have to go too close to get close up shots, e.g., 1x reproduction with a 50 or 60mm macro, but to have the luxury of a greater working distance as if a 180 or 200 mm macro lense was used (on said DSLR).

My question are:

I think he want to use it to take far object so as to make the far object look bigger. SO focus setting should be infinity. And assume zoom at max.

Blurred??? what is your shutter speed?

• My ISO is set in AUTO. The S5 IS Canon can go as high as 800.

When I'm taking a shot, the object looks blurred or the object seems to look like it was moving. Couldn't get a clear shot. I had to zoom out for a clearer pic.

zac08 Re: Confused and needs assistance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You need a close-up filter actually. This would reduce the focusing distance from the camera ti the subject.

A teleconverter increases the focal lenght and may not help with the focusing distance. You may be shooting at the minimum focusing distance already. Check out your user manual for full details.

Consider a Raynox 250 if your camera can use such a filter

Just like what zac08 said, maybe a close up filter may help? So, what you are saying that I should have bought a close up lens instead of teleconverter? Since a teleconverter doesn't take care of the job I require, right? Sheezs. Or can I use a the leleconverter and a close up lens at the same time?

Pardon my ignorance, guys.

Blur picture normally is cause by shutter speed like 1/15, even IS for S5IS have problem at 3-4x zoom.

What are you shooting at? In a room with limited space. A teleC. is for shooting far object. If you zoom a lot with teleC at short distance may not be able to focus well.

My ISO is set in AUTO. The S5 IS Canon can go as high as 800.

When I'm taking a shot, the object looks blurred or the object seems to look like it was moving. Couldn't get a clear shot. I had to zoom out for a clearer pic.

zac08 Re: Confused and needs assistance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider a Raynox 250 if your camera can use such a filter

Just like what zac08 said, maybe a close up filter may help? So, what you are saying that I should have bought a close up lens instead of teleconverter? Since a teleconverter doesn't take care of the job I require, right? Sheezs. Or can I use a the leleconverter and a close up lens at the same time?

Pardon my ignorance, guys.

So you had to zoom out right. Was your camera set on macro mode?

On some cameras, the macro mode only reduces to a very close distance for wide focal lengths. On the tele-side, you may still need up to 1 to 2m distance for the camera to focus correctly.

I believe this is the case for your camera. Mebbe you can try using the teleconverter but zoom out to the widest that still allows focusing. See if it helps.

What is the real use of a tele converter? Doesn't it increase zooming capabilities of the camera? How come when I set it either 1.5X or 2.0x, it still can't take extreme clear pictures of far objects? it still comes out blurred.
Teleconverter increases the focal length of the camera lens. It also decreases the quality of the photos.
How can one use a teleconverter to be able to get its maximum benefit?
You will get closer shot with teleconverter. If you are concern with quality, do not use it.
When I use a teleconverter, the Canon stabilizer (hand shake) doesn't seem to work. Is this the real case?
IS should work.

Many thanks to all.

I will try to play/ experiment more on the camera.

megaweb
"How can one use a teleconverter to be able to get its maximum benefit? "
"You will get closer shot with teleconverter. If you are concern with quality, do not use it."

What should I use to get a good close up shot (from a far) with good quality? It doesn't seem to make sense now to use a teleconverter if it reduces the quality of image.

megaweb
"How can one use a teleconverter to be able to get its maximum benefit? "
"You will get closer shot with teleconverter. If you are concern with quality, do not use it."

What should I use to get a good close up shot (from a far) with good quality? It doesn't seem to make sense now to use a teleconverter if it reduces the quality of image.

From my experience, I do not recommend to use a teleconverter esp. front add-on lens element type. Anyway to minimise the quality, use it when there is very good lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.